Sep 26, 2013
Hi everybody
Im looking at parts to build my first pc and i got
Gtx 770 gpu
Seasonic 620w modular psu
Cooler master 212 plus cpu cooler
Asus p8z77-v lx mobo
And crucial ballistix 8gb sport memory
The only thing i cant decide on is the cpu. I have the fx 8350 and i5 4670k in my sights but i cant decide.
Im a little tight on money and time too so if i got the fx 8350 i could order the parts right now and if i got the i5 i would have to wait a little. I plan on doing gaming and some video editing with sony vegas. In the future i would like to overclock but i dont know how high. What do you guys think ?Your help is very appreciated.

Solution

It really depends on your uses. If you're planning to edit enough to warrant a little less gaming performance then the FX would be the better choice - maybe not a noticeable difference in gaming. If your main concern is gaming then get the i5 - it would still be good for video editing too. The FX would be more suited to multitasking such as recording/streaming while gaming too.

So prioritise your needs and see which comes out on top. You could list them here and I could help suggest one if you wanted.
Firstly, that motherboard is not compatible with either CPU. For the FX 8350 you'd need an AM3+ motherboard and for the i5 4670k you'd need a LGA 1150 motherboard.

For gaming, the i5 will win most of the time. In newer titles, they're pretty equal; older titles, the intel will be better.
For editing, the FX would be better.

It really depends on your uses. If you're planning to edit enough to warrant a little less gaming performance then the FX would be the better choice - maybe not a noticeable difference in gaming. If your main concern is gaming then get the i5 - it would still be good for video editing too. The FX would be more suited to multitasking such as recording/streaming while gaming too.

So prioritise your needs and see which comes out on top. You could list them here and I could help suggest one if you wanted.

Solution

Chidori457

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013

Bad choice man, the i5 3570K is last gen's cpu, so if you ever wanted to upgrade you could be screwed and so I recommend going with the 4670K. I have the 4670K myself.

The most you could upgrade to from a 3570k would probably be a 3770k, and from a 4670k to a 4770k. Considering they perform almost identically (4xxx series overclock worse, run hotter, but have a little better performance out of the box) it is not a bad choice by any means.

scoutgc

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Just something to think about, Broadwell will be coming out very soon, sometime in 2014. Which will require all new thinking. Rumor has it will be still LGA 1150 but it will need a different power supply. Not sure if you want to jump at the 1st chance of a new chip. (I wouldn't) Just something to think about since you didn't say when you will be buying. Rumor also has it there might be a new Chipset and/or socket for Broadwell also.