Solved

FX 8350 and R9 3gb 280x for 1080p gaming?

Would I be better off with an i5 intel CPU and a gtx 770 2gb combo over this 8 core cpu 3gb vram gpu if I'm gaming on a 1080p big screen tv?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 3gb 280x 1080p gaming
  1. Get the 8320 over the 8350 as the 8320 is the exact same chip clocked lower, you can always overclock to surpass 8350 and 9370 speeds. Also the fx 8320 gives the same performance and i5 does and is much cheaper. For the gpu what games are you planning on playing?
  2. Personally, I'd go with an I5 4670K with a GTX 770. However, recent trends in gaming development have shown that developers are slowly moving towards optimizing for 8 core cpus, like BF4. However, that is still a long way to go. If you ask me, go with the former suggestion.
  3. Welshstig said:
    Get the 8320 over the 8350 as the 8320 is the exact same chip clocked lower, you can always overclock to surpass 8350 and 9370 speeds. Also the fx 8320 gives the same performance and i5 does and is much cheaper. For the gpu what games are you planning on playing?

For games at first I plan on back logging some classics like the Dragon Age games along with the new Dragon Age game, The Elder Scrolls games, The Fallout games, Star Citizen, Borderlands 2, tons of strategy games like Rome Total War...this is my first pc build.

A question about the 8320, would fairly cheap aftermarket AIR cooling be enough to overclock the 8320, and if so..how much more could I overclock the 8350 than the 8320 with the same cooling? And will the 8350s overclocking be useless for the next few years anyway?
  4. junred56 said:
    Personally, I'd go with an I5 4670K with a GTX 770. However, recent trends in gaming development have shown that developers are slowly moving towards optimizing for 8 core cpus, like BF4. However, that is still a long way to go. If you ask me, go with the former suggestion.

If recent trends point towards better performance for the amd setup, and since the amd is cheaper, why do you still want to go intel? I'm new to pc gaming and pc builds, so what am I missing?
  5. With 8320 you can get a hyper 212 EVO and overclock to around 4.5 or 4.6, the 8350 is slightly higher binned so for the 8350 maybe 0.1 ghz more so not really a difference. And overclocking your cpu will just make it faster not useless and as time goes on the fx 8320 is becoming faster than i5s since games are utilising more cores.
    I would suggest getting the fx 8320 and r9 280x especially because of mantle api which allegedly increases the performance of your gpu by 20-50% in games that use this mantle api. Consoles also have mantle api so yea...

But then you mentioned older games and strategy games, I do belive that i5 will be better due to the fact of lesser cores but stronger.

For the gpu: R9 280x = gtx 770
  6. Welshstig said:
    With 8320 you can get a hyper 212 EVO and overclock to around 4.5 or 4.6, the 8350 is slightly higher binned so for the 8350 maybe 0.1 ghz more so not really a difference. And overclocking your cpu will just make it faster not useless and as time goes on the fx 8320 is becoming faster than i5s since games are utilising more cores.
    I would suggest getting the fx 8320 and r9 280x especially because of mantle api which allegedly increases the performance of your gpu by 20-50% in games that use this mantle api. Consoles also have mantle api so yea...

But then you mentioned older games and strategy games, I do belive that i5 will be better due to the fact of lesser cores but stronger.

For the gpu: R9 280x = gtx 770

Thanks for the tips, do you know how exactly running those 5+ year old games will do on an 8 core processor?And how does the 1080p gaming effect all of this?
  7. The 5+ year old games will run easily since even the lowest end processor today can run them games and the fx 8320 is a pretty high end one. Also if you overclock your cpu this will help a lot and increase single core performance resulting in better performance especially in older games.
  8. Best answer
    It will run the games at ultra any time of the day, the resolution and detail is down to what gpu you have and you will get and r9 280x which will absolutely destroy all games even today
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel i5 AMD CPUs Build Components New Build