1600 (or faster RAM) does create problems?

legionlad

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Helllo guyss...
I was searching about the speed difference between 1333 vs 1600 Ram & in a thread I read that "The only thing 1600 (or faster RAM) does is create problems"
So I am confused coz am building a PC for the first time, & I choose 8 GB 1333 MHz, the 1600mhz price is the same so which one I should buy,
& what about the guy who said that..???
Does 1600Mhz or faster ram effects performance of the whole rig after some time or it's just an every-day opinion.
Here is the Thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1633482/big-difference-1333-1600-mhz-ram.html
Any explanation would be grateful.

Solution
Once you get past 1600MHz RAM, the performance increase is less and less noticeable and most generic boards do not support above 1333MHz. The optimal RAM is 1600MHz with the tightest timings at 1.5V.

This is one way to understand timings and clock speed (It might be a bad analogy, so don't quote me on it):

Let's say the clock speed is the maximum speed of your car. The faster you go, the more distance(data) you cover. The timings are the agility of your car, how fast you can turn and go a different direction (do something different). The faster you go, the harder it is to turn, and some cars are just worse than others at turning. So you want to find the optimal ratio of timings to clock speed, and it's my understanding that 1600MHz...

gamer2321

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
It would make maybe 1fps difference if that. Faster RAM is good if you are overclocking the whole system bus or want a bigger number to say mine is bigger than yours. In benchmarks their may be a small difference. In reality, you won't notice anything really.
There is nothing problematic with the 1600mhz RAM.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Once you get past 1600MHz RAM, the performance increase is less and less noticeable and most generic boards do not support above 1333MHz. The optimal RAM is 1600MHz with the tightest timings at 1.5V.

This is one way to understand timings and clock speed (It might be a bad analogy, so don't quote me on it):

Let's say the clock speed is the maximum speed of your car. The faster you go, the more distance(data) you cover. The timings are the agility of your car, how fast you can turn and go a different direction (do something different). The faster you go, the harder it is to turn, and some cars are just worse than others at turning. So you want to find the optimal ratio of timings to clock speed, and it's my understanding that 1600MHz at the lowest timing you can find at 1.5V is the best.

That said, RAM speed doesn't really matter. It's almost always better to spend the extra money on your GPU or CPU than on superfast, agile RAM.

Here's a cool article on it: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-RAM-Timings/26

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The article quoted above is rather outdated, with todays rigs, 1600/9 is considered entry level, Haswell scales to DRAM much better than previous CPU gens - for Haswell builds I use 1866 as the entry point, and with todays prices there's very little difference pricewise... If strictly for gaming 1600/9 is sufficient, but if you are multi-tasking, imaging, video work, CAD, VMs, anything memory centric, then faster DRAM will prove advantageous.

Much will depend on what CPU (biggest factor) and mobo (smaller factor) you are running as to what is best

legionlad

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
@gamer2321 Thnx...I wont be overclocking any of the component in system & I will go for 1600.
@ C4
I read the article but Tradesman1 says Haswell can handle it quite efficiently will my mobo will only support 1600 & 1333, so I wont be able to notice the performance difference.
@DonQuixotec
Nice explanation , I am learning alot from this forum, & now am just cleared what Ram Timings means & do.Thnx so much for analogy by the way :)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

This is probably the best memory that's on your motherboard's QVL (Qualified Vendors List, meaning it's been tested and is essentially guaranteed to work on your motherboard).

I think Tradesman will recommend you get a different/better motherboard, and I would agree.

1. He has a point that I hadn't considered about Memory, going for 1866MHz can't hurt at this point. (Although it still won't be a huge difference, it's difference enough to be justified)
2. That board is a micro-ATX board. Which means that it's cheaper, but it also has less room for upgrading and airflow once you've finally put your system together. I recommend you look into an ATX board, one that supports 1866 MHz RAM. Like this one.

legionlad

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
@DonquixoteMC & @tradesman thnx for your time...
Well you guys must have selected the best but budget is an issue here & I am also getting 4570 so no OC at all...and I even wont be able to use all the slots and connectors in a H87....I will be video edting, some programming & casual gaming (hd 7770) with the new system, so will I be ok with a H81 ??

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Yes. For your needs, the H81 will be absolutely fine.

If you're getting the motherboard you originally linked, then get 1600MHz RAM at 1.5V with the lowest timings you can find.

How much RAM are you planning on getting? 16GB because of video editing?
For 8GB get this
For 16GB get this

The above RAM is probably the best you can get for the motherboard you linked (and according to Gigabyte, they're guaranteed to work). The price point is pretty good too.

legionlad

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
@DonquixoteMC
Ok I will get the 1600 but the thing is we don't have in here(Pakistan) enough options for customizing..the only options are Kingston Ecc/Corsair Value Select/Corsair Vengeance, & I will get a single stick of 8 Gb at this point.
Plz If you can select for me from these sites.
http://www.galaxy.com.pk/memory-pakistan.html
http://www.buypakistan.com/computer-rams-c-8_196_39.html

Note: I cant find the Reply Button anywhere??? its very annoying....