$700 pc build for college

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I'm looking to build my first PC and plan on bringing it to college. I received just over $700 in random birthday/Hanukkah money and hope to use it for a high performance build. I currently have a 2009 MacBook Pro that has yet to fail me, so portability will not be an issue for college; however, judging by my brothers dorm room freshman year, the PC must optimally be as small as possible (without sacrificing too much performance).

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: tentatively some time this month

Budget Range: $700 after rebates and shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming, gaming, web/graphics design, writing documents, internet browsing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: I have no other PC, so I need all new parts.

Do you need to buy OS: Most likely, although I might have a copy of Windows 7 somewhere
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Parts Preferences: No preferences. I feel I don't have enough experience in PC building to make that call

Overclocking: Maybe. I probably won't because I want this computer to at least last me through college.

SLI or Crossfire: No (unless you recommend it).

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I don't care at all about looks, just performance. I plan on switching from Xbox to PC gaming, must be able to play games such as BF4 on high settings. I also don't have any accessories/equipment besides a basic gaming headset and a $5 logitech mouse, so if you have any good quality keyboards/mice that you would recommend and can include in the price, please do so.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have some money left over, and want a good PC for college. I plan on majoring/minoring in electrical/computer engineering and computer science, so it seems it would make sense to have one.

Solution

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Oh well in that case I'll have to go with lower settings. To be honest, I'm not even sure how much gaming I'll really be doing considering I will most likely be bogged down in work. I can always upgrade later, I suppose.

maurelie

Honorable
Here is what i am thinking for $700, but no OS included
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($182.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $694.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-15 13:39 EST-0500)

Solution

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

That seems pretty good to me :)

I think with that total I will have somewhere between $30 - $50 left over for peripherals (mouse and keyboard). I know that's not much for high quality gaming equipment, but do you have any recommendations in that price range?

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

After some research I found these two products. I've never heard of E-3lue but there are a lot of positive reviews about it. At $10, it would appear to be a steal. Do you think I should try these or stick with what you recommended?

Keyboard ($40): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191
Mouse ($10): http://www.amazon.com/E-3lue-EMS109BK-Precision-Control-1600dpi/dp/B005CPGHAA