Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows 8.1 showing wrong amount of cores and no turbo boosting on Intel 3770 (Non-k)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 15, 2013 10:33:50 AM

Hi there,

I'm running Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H board with an Intel 3770 (Non K) processor. In windows 8.1, I noticed in Performance (Task Manager) it is reported that the maximum speed is 3.4GHz (should be 3.9 with Turbo) and the total number of cores is 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I've made sure my BIOS settings are correct (34 Multiplier etc.)
a c 109 à CPUs
December 15, 2013 10:40:59 AM

If you upgraded from something else, i think windows 8 takes some time to recognise the new CPU.
Can't be sure on that but download a program like CPUID or Coretemp and see if those programs recognise the i7.

If they do then don't worry about windows not recognising the CPU.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
December 15, 2013 10:58:32 AM

vanflymen said:
Hi there,

I'm running Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H board with an Intel 3770 (Non K) processor. In windows 8.1, I noticed in Performance (Task Manager) it is reported that the maximum speed is 3.4GHz (should be 3.9 with Turbo) and the total number of cores is 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I've made sure my BIOS settings are correct (34 Multiplier etc.)


In the Device Manager under Processors click on the plus sign next to it and you should see 8 3.40GHz Intel CPUs listed -- it lists them at the base frequency and includes the hyperthreads (so 4 cores and 4HT but they all look the same). You will not see the 3.9GHz Turbo listed anywhere as it only occurs at specific times that the OS is not aware of when running at the base frequency.


Score
0
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 15, 2013 11:06:47 AM

Thank you for the quick replies.

jay_nar2012: CPUID also shows only 2 cores.

Realbeast: Yes. All 8 processors appear but the system still reports only two cores. I've checked this even under load, (Battlefield 4).
Score
0

Best solution

a c 158 à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
December 15, 2013 11:09:58 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
If you upgraded from something else, i think windows 8 takes some time to recognise the new CPU.
Can't be sure on that but download a program like CPUID or Coretemp and see if those programs recognise the i7.

If they do then don't worry about windows not recognising the CPU.


That's horrible advice. Windows has no issue recognizing cpus and it doesn't take its time installing drivers. If it's not immediately seeing cores correctly you have an issue. The max speed stated is the normal speed, it doesn't take turbo into account. Check cpuz and see if it sees all cores. Check msconfig and see if cores isn't set to 2.
Share
a b à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
December 15, 2013 11:27:30 AM

vanflymen said:
Thank you for the quick replies.

jay_nar2012: CPUID also shows only 2 cores.

Realbeast: Yes. All 8 processors appear but the system still reports only two cores. I've checked this even under load, (Battlefield 4).
The Performance tab in the Task Manager does not show two cores if you mean the CPU Usage that has a % value. To the right of that under CPU Usage History you should see 8 boxes (4 cores plus the 4 hyperthreads).

Try an up to date version of CPU-Z, it may just be out of date.

Score
0
December 15, 2013 11:30:41 AM

after swapping cpus/mbo i found that the best thing to do is a fresh win install. if you have 2 drives (or partitions) copy all the things you really need to 2nd drive and upon windows setting choose to format just the c drive and install new copy of windows. its 35 times faster than searching for answers and waiting on replies. and as always windows will be working like a clockwork when its freshly installed :) 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
December 15, 2013 11:47:00 AM

Ivan Cerovec said:
after swapping cpus/mbo i found that the best thing to do is a fresh win install. if you have 2 drives (or partitions) copy all the things you really need to 2nd drive and upon windows setting choose to format just the c drive and install new copy of windows. its 35 times faster than searching for answers and waiting on replies. and as always windows will be working like a clockwork when its freshly installed :) 


While I generally agree, if you are using Windows 7 (unlike here) you can easily swap out any motherboard/CPU combo from an Intel 67 chipset up to the 87 with no issues as long as you uninstall the graphics driver if you are switching between ATI and NVIDIA. I've done at least 20 of those upgrades this year without any problems. Windows 7 does take a few minutes to update all of its drivers, and you may need to update the LAN driver if it is Intel instead of Realtek, but most of the time that is automatic too.

Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
December 15, 2013 11:50:23 AM

vanflymen said:
Hi there,

I'm running Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H board with an Intel 3770 (Non K) processor. In windows 8.1, I noticed in Performance (Task Manager) it is reported that the maximum speed is 3.4GHz (should be 3.9 with Turbo) and the total number of cores is 2.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I've made sure my BIOS settings are correct (34 Multiplier etc.)


I think that you are okay, but just to be sure and to make you confident in your CPU, download and run the free and very awesome Belarc Advisor from HERE. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your machine, including all of your serials and activation keys. Just skip the network portion as it takes a lot of time for little information unless you have a complex network.

Score
0
December 15, 2013 12:02:59 PM

k1114 said:
jay_nar2012 said:
If you upgraded from something else, i think windows 8 takes some time to recognise the new CPU.
Can't be sure on that but download a program like CPUID or Coretemp and see if those programs recognise the i7.

If they do then don't worry about windows not recognising the CPU.


That's horrible advice. Windows has no issue recognizing cpus and it doesn't take its time installing drivers. If it's not immediately seeing cores correctly you have an issue. The max speed stated is the normal speed, it doesn't take turbo into account. Check cpuz and see if it sees all cores. Check msconfig and see if cores isn't set to 2.


Seems msconfig set to 2 cores was the culprit. Thank you very much!
Score
0
August 29, 2014 12:28:39 AM

I had the same problem and after anticking the number of processors in msconfig/boot/advance options everything is showing correctly now. Thank you a lot. This was driving me crazy for some time.
Score
0
!