Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

which cpu temp program should i trust?

Tags:
  • Tuning
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 15, 2013 10:45:12 AM

hello.yesterday i built my first gaming pc
amd athlon x4 750k
sapphire radeon hd 7770
i installed CPUID HWMonitor to check the temps.idle temp was 40C with this program and when i gamed it showd 60C+.i downloaded easy tuning 6 from gigabyte and easy tuning 6 shows idle temp of 21C and gaming temp that reaches 40C and a little bit higher..which program should i trust to check the cpu temp?easy tuning 6 which is for gigabyte mobos(mine is gigabyte btw) or cpuid hwmonitor?

More about : cpu temp program trust

a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 10:48:03 AM

The two main ones I use and trust are HWMonitor and CoreTemp (CoreTemp has a nice Windows Sidebar Widget :)  )
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 10:49:55 AM

wtalk2 said:
The two main ones I use and trust are HWMonitor and CoreTemp (CoreTemp has a nice Windows Sidebar Widget :)  )


i think trusting the program which came with my mobo (easy tuning 6) does make a little bit more sense doesnt it?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 10:53:49 AM

It might, try getting Core Temp and compare all 3. If HWMonitor and Core Temp are about the same temps and Easy Tuning 6 is way different go with HWMonitor or Core Temp.
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 10:56:46 AM

wtalk2 said:
It might, try getting Core Temp and compare all 3. If HWMonitor and Core Temp are about the same temps and Easy Tuning 6 is way different go with HWMonitor or Core Temp.


core temp wont read my cpu temp...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 10:57:44 AM

Well that's a bit of a problem :p 
What cooler are you using?
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 11:01:59 AM

wtalk2 said:
Well that's a bit of a problem :p 
What cooler are you using?


the one that came with the cpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:03:11 AM

Are you overclocking at all?
Also does your case have good airflow?
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 11:04:46 AM

wtalk2 said:
Are you overclocking at all?
Also does your case have good airflow?


i have not overclocked.i have installed a front 90mm intake fan and a 120mm exhaust which came with the case
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:08:10 AM

I would trust HWMonitor, the temps it is giving seem more realistic.
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 11:10:41 AM

wtalk2 said:
I would trust HWMonitor, the temps it is giving seem more realistic.


its a new pc...i mean yesterday i builded it...how can it have idle temp of 40c and browsing temp of 55C?it doesnt make sense.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:10:59 AM

For an amd cpu i would recommend using AIDA64 so you can monitor both cpu core and package temps.

Coretemp reads the cpu core temp which on an amd cpu usually gives a false reading especially at idle.
Eg: my cpu core temps according to coretemp is currently at 16c which is impossible given my ambient temp is 24c.

HWmonitor is fine to use providing you read the temps correctly.
CPUTIN is the cpu package temp listed under motherboard temps, Package is the cpu core temps listed under the cpu temps.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:13:08 AM

@ OP. Use easytune 6 i have the 760k which is a little newer than yours and all programs misread temps. Use easytune6 as it shows BIOs temps. HW monitopr shows im -6 @ load @ 4.5ghz whereas now EASYTUNE6 shows 56 which is much more believable.
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 11:20:05 AM

ShadyHamster said:
For an amd cpu i would recommend using AIDA64 so you can monitor both cpu core and package temps.

Coretemp reads the cpu core temp which on an amd cpu usually gives a false reading especially at idle.
Eg: my cpu core temps according to coretemp is currently at 16c which is impossible given my ambient temp is 24c.

HWmonitor is fine to use providing you read the temps correctly.
CPUTIN is the cpu package temp listed under motherboard temps, Package is the cpu core temps listed under the cpu temps.


i downloaded AIDA64 as you said and i get cpu temp of 21C just like the easy tuning 6..hwmonitor shows a false temp right?
m
0
l
December 15, 2013 11:24:19 AM

Danzas4321 said:
@ OP. Use easytune 6 i have the 760k which is a little newer than yours and all programs misread temps. Use easytune6 as it shows BIOs temps. HW monitopr shows im -6 @ load @ 4.5ghz whereas now EASYTUNE6 shows 56 which is much more believable.

i downloaded AIDA64 and it showed the same temps with easy tuning 6...hw monitor probably gives false temperature...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:42:45 AM

aggelos123 said:
Danzas4321 said:
@ OP. Use easytune 6 i have the 760k which is a little newer than yours and all programs misread temps. Use easytune6 as it shows BIOs temps. HW monitopr shows im -6 @ load @ 4.5ghz whereas now EASYTUNE6 shows 56 which is much more believable.

i downloaded AIDA64 and it showed the same temps with easy tuning 6...hw monitor probably gives false temperature...




Following this picture, the temp in green is the cpu package temp which is the temp i consider the most accurate.
The temp in red is the core core temps, for my cpu this temp is never correct unless under heavy load (stressing with prime95 for example).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:46:08 AM

ShadyHamster said:
aggelos123 said:
Danzas4321 said:
@ OP. Use easytune 6 i have the 760k which is a little newer than yours and all programs misread temps. Use easytune6 as it shows BIOs temps. HW monitopr shows im -6 @ load @ 4.5ghz whereas now EASYTUNE6 shows 56 which is much more believable.

i downloaded AIDA64 and it showed the same temps with easy tuning 6...hw monitor probably gives false temperature...




Following this picture, the temp in green is the cpu package temp which is the temp i consider the most accurate.
The temp in red is the core core temps, for my cpu this temp is never correct unless under heavy load (stressing with prime95 for example).


These FM2 athlons dont have those sensors. you have a whole pakcage temp ( for me constantly) and thats it. the vcore for me shows 127v which is total untrue and CPUTIN isnt even a thing for me lol

EDIT Noticed that AIDA 64 CPu is the same as easytune6
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2013 11:59:30 AM

I was unaware that FM2 temp sensors were different, never personally used an FM2 based pc, i just assumed the temp sensors were the same since thats how they have been on amd cpus for as long as i can remember.
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 4:51:38 AM

Danzas4321 said:
ShadyHamster said:
aggelos123 said:
Danzas4321 said:
@ OP. Use easytune 6 i have the 760k which is a little newer than yours and all programs misread temps. Use easytune6 as it shows BIOs temps. HW monitopr shows im -6 @ load @ 4.5ghz whereas now EASYTUNE6 shows 56 which is much more believable.

i downloaded AIDA64 and it showed the same temps with easy tuning 6...hw monitor probably gives false temperature...




Following this picture, the temp in green is the cpu package temp which is the temp i consider the most accurate.
The temp in red is the core core temps, for my cpu this temp is never correct unless under heavy load (stressing with prime95 for example).


These FM2 athlons dont have those sensors. you have a whole pakcage temp ( for me constantly) and thats it. the vcore for me shows 127v which is total untrue and CPUTIN isnt even a thing for me lol

EDIT Noticed that AIDA 64 CPu is the same as easytune6


so if i want to see my cpu temp i should see the temps that are provided from AIDA64 or easy tune 6.right?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2013 3:28:29 PM

I would trust the HWMonitor; AMD stockcooler are not best of cooling the cpu and you have a 100W cpu which is around the max the TDP that the cooler can dissipate . What is your room temp? if it's 10C then would 21C at idle would make more sense but not when it's around 20.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2013 3:38:30 PM

I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2013 5:48:51 PM

bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.
m
0
l
December 28, 2013 4:20:30 AM

ShadyHamster said:
bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.


..ok guys..5 days ago i installed cooler master hyper 212 evo...i applied thermal paste with the credit card method(thin layer) and installed the cooler properly.now my idle temp is 40C AGAIN!...in full load while stressing the cpu with intel burn test my cpu temp doesnt go above 65C...most of the time it stays around 62-63C...(according to hw monitor)..easy tune 6 displayes some crazy temps...in full load it says that my cpu is 37C :p ...its impossible..easy tune 6 definetly displays wrong temps...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2013 8:14:16 AM

aggelos123 said:
ShadyHamster said:
bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.


..ok guys..5 days ago i installed cooler master hyper 212 evo...i applied thermal paste with the credit card method(thin layer) and installed the cooler properly.now my idle temp is 40C AGAIN!...in full load while stressing the cpu with intel burn test my cpu temp doesnt go above 65C...most of the time it stays around 62-63C...(according to hw monitor)..easy tune 6 displayes some crazy temps...in full load it says that my cpu is 37C :p ...its impossible..easy tune 6 definetly displays wrong temps...


If your at stock clocks then 37 degrees is about right :p 
m
0
l
December 28, 2013 1:19:42 PM

Danzas4321 said:
aggelos123 said:
ShadyHamster said:
bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.


..ok guys..5 days ago i installed cooler master hyper 212 evo...i applied thermal paste with the credit card method(thin layer) and installed the cooler properly.now my idle temp is 40C AGAIN!...in full load while stressing the cpu with intel burn test my cpu temp doesnt go above 65C...most of the time it stays around 62-63C...(according to hw monitor)..easy tune 6 displayes some crazy temps...in full load it says that my cpu is 37C :p ...its impossible..easy tune 6 definetly displays wrong temps...


If your at stock clocks then 37 degrees is about right :p 

37C in full load with 212 evo and a 100watt cpu?i dont think its logical..easy tune 6 displayes definetely wrong cpu temp...i mean while in idle it says that my cpu is 21C!thats imposible again..i gonna go with hw monitor..when i go tho the bios the temp is 33C..hw monitor in idle displayes 40C..while in load it displays about 63C...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2013 3:21:14 PM

aggelos123 said:
Danzas4321 said:
aggelos123 said:
ShadyHamster said:
bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.


..ok guys..5 days ago i installed cooler master hyper 212 evo...i applied thermal paste with the credit card method(thin layer) and installed the cooler properly.now my idle temp is 40C AGAIN!...in full load while stressing the cpu with intel burn test my cpu temp doesnt go above 65C...most of the time it stays around 62-63C...(according to hw monitor)..easy tune 6 displayes some crazy temps...in full load it says that my cpu is 37C :p ...its impossible..easy tune 6 definetly displays wrong temps...


If your at stock clocks then 37 degrees is about right :p 

37C in full load with 212 evo and a 100watt cpu?i dont think its logical..easy tune 6 displayes definetely wrong cpu temp...i mean while in idle it says that my cpu is 21C!thats imposible again..i gonna go with hw monitor..when i go tho the bios the temp is 33C..hw monitor in idle displayes 40C..while in load it displays about 63C...


if you check CPu-Z the 750k is actually a 65w chip and it should also say so on the box :) 
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 6:53:29 AM

Danzas4321 said:
aggelos123 said:
Danzas4321 said:
aggelos123 said:
ShadyHamster said:
bob hays said:
I personally use HWMonitor as well, but just to double check it's pretty simple. Go into your bios and see what the temperature of your cpu is. Then look at the two programs and see which one has an idle temperature closer to your motherboard (maybe a little hotter cause you are running OS). Then just use that program.


Actually the temps in windows while idling should be lower since most of the time power saving and downclocking features aren't in effect in the bios.


..ok guys..5 days ago i installed cooler master hyper 212 evo...i applied thermal paste with the credit card method(thin layer) and installed the cooler properly.now my idle temp is 40C AGAIN!...in full load while stressing the cpu with intel burn test my cpu temp doesnt go above 65C...most of the time it stays around 62-63C...(according to hw monitor)..easy tune 6 displayes some crazy temps...in full load it says that my cpu is 37C :p ...its impossible..easy tune 6 definetly displays wrong temps...


If your at stock clocks then 37 degrees is about right :p 

37C in full load with 212 evo and a 100watt cpu?i dont think its logical..easy tune 6 displayes definetely wrong cpu temp...i mean while in idle it says that my cpu is 21C!thats imposible again..i gonna go with hw monitor..when i go tho the bios the temp is 33C..hw monitor in idle displayes 40C..while in load it displays about 63C...


if you check CPu-Z the 750k is actually a 65w chip and it should also say so on the box :) 


im sorry..my mistake..but again i dont consider these temps: (21C idle and 40C full load) logical for air cooling..
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
January 16, 2014 4:17:43 PM

I wouldn't recommend using Easytune, all I use is Gigabyte mobos on all my builds and Easytune is buggy.i never use it.
Uninstall it.
Set up your rig manually in bios for best results.
I use Coretemp ,Realtemp,and my mobo bios for temperature comparisons.
All basically the same readings.
m
0
l
!