Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 770 vs AMD R9 290 for price, 3D, particle effect, SLI/Crossfire

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • AMD
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Gtx
  • 3D
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 16, 2013 2:38:59 AM

Hi guys. I am new to this community. I am building my gaming rig very soon. I am confused about my GPU. I have two choices GTX 770(4 gig version) or AMD R9 290. In my country (INDIA) these two cards cost almost the same. I am going to play lots of 3D games/movies. I have heard NVIDIA has better 3D output then AMD, on the other hand R9 290 is way stronger then 770. Also I love the particle effect of NVIDIA and NVIDIA's new Shadowplay sound awesome. In future I am thinking adding another card in SLI or Crossfire. Also SLI mobos are expensive then Xfire mobo. Please help me choose the better card between these two.
My general specs will be---
I5 4670k
GTX 770 4g/ AMD R9 290
Asrock Fatality z87 killer/ MSI H87-G43 Gaming Motherboard
8 gig vengence RAM
120 gb ssd/ 2 TB HDD
Maybe a NVIDIA 3D Vision enabled Monitor.

More about : gtx 770 amd 290 price particle effect sli crossfire

a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 16, 2013 2:45:22 AM

r9 290 is faster than gtx 770,but in india still reference r9 290 are available - no custom cooler one either i would wait for custom cooler to release or get 770 now.

Regarding sli or xfire,both amd nvidia have good drivers support now.No problems even you go for xfire or sli

if you have not build the pc,then get mobo from asus/gigabyte as they have better service support in india and get z87 one,not h87
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 2:47:02 AM

From what i`ve heard AMD has something similar to ShadowPlay ( http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/08/get-ready-for-new-rad... ). From my experience for now ShadowPlay is useless because it uses a codec with variable frame rate and this makes it imposible to edit in Premiere Pro or any other NLE because the video will get out of sync with the sound.

Personally i would go for the R9 290 (but if it`s a card with aftermarket cooler not the generic one) but since you seem to favor more the particle (PhysX i think you wanted to say) and the 3D (for me is just a ghimick and not really many even give a damn about it) of nvidia... only you can chose which one to get.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 16, 2013 2:51:01 AM

Personally speaking I would go for the R9 290 .. as you just said its the stronger card theres a video on you of this card in Crossfire on BF4 with Ultra settings and High resolution scale and the card does 170+ fps the youtuber then goes on to explain that when he was recording using the two cards its didnt even seem to phase them. the other bonus of the r9 290 is that you can now run 4 monitors off 1 card DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI and the Display port, in fact to run 3 monitors you dont even need to use the display port, as opposed to its predecessors where you had to.

The r9 290 alone is a fantastic card with 4gb memory, 947mhz (overclockable), and also the new mantle api the card alone will run great.

Yes nVidia have shadow play and yes it is fantastic especially if you are going to be getting into youtube gaming, recording games and the like. A lot of people do say that its better to go with nVidia instead of AMD if that's your plan however with the sheer brute force power of the R9 290 especially if you later plan on crossfiring it then it isn't really going to phase the card at all. That video I mentioned the guy records and plays at 1080p on ultra with 150% resolution scale and still got 140fps.

My recommendation is to get yourself the R9 290, I will be getting two myself in January when the non-reference versions come out.

I hope this helped

Cheers
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 9:19:13 AM

bassybekx said:
Personally speaking I would go for the R9 290 .. as you just said its the stronger card theres a video on you of this card in Crossfire on BF4 with Ultra settings and High resolution scale and the card does 170+ fps the youtuber then goes on to explain that when he was recording using the two cards its didnt even seem to phase them. the other bonus of the r9 290 is that you can now run 4 monitors off 1 card DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI and the Display port, in fact to run 3 monitors you dont even need to use the display port, as opposed to its predecessors where you had to.

The r9 290 alone is a fantastic card with 4gb memory, 947mhz (overclockable), and also the new mantle api the card alone will run great.

Yes nVidia have shadow play and yes it is fantastic especially if you are going to be getting into youtube gaming, recording games and the like. A lot of people do say that its better to go with nVidia instead of AMD if that's your plan however with the sheer brute force power of the R9 290 especially if you later plan on crossfiring it then it isn't really going to phase the card at all. That video I mentioned the guy records and plays at 1080p on ultra with 150% resolution scale and still got 140fps.

My recommendation is to get yourself the R9 290, I will be getting two myself in January when the non-reference versions come out.

I hope this helped

Cheers



What about 3D output??? Does a NVIDIA 3D Vision enable monitor work with AMD card??? If yes how to watch 3D content in that monitor without NVIDIA glasses/kit (I am assuming they dont work with AMD cards)???? Also I am currently planning on buying a 1080p monitor for now and maybe a second one later, but I will surely not go with 3 or more monitors setup. Once I built this machine I am not going to change much for 3/4 years. So every information is very important for me. THNX
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 9:23:15 AM

ASHISH65 said:
r9 290 is faster than gtx 770,but in india still reference r9 290 are available - no custom cooler one either i would wait for custom cooler to release or get 770 now.

Regarding sli or xfire,both amd nvidia have good drivers support now.No problems even you go for xfire or sli

if you have not build the pc,then get mobo from asus/gigabyte as they have better service support in india and get z87 one,not h87


What is the difference between z87 and h87??? And I am waiting for non reference R9 290 cards. I will build my rig in January. Hope non reference versions will shows up by then.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
December 16, 2013 9:27:50 AM

You can play in 3D even with an AMD card. It's called AMD HD3D

List of officially supported monitors:
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLOGIES/AMD-HD3D/Pa...

AMD or Nvidia you will have to use 3D glasses.

The R9 290 is a blazing fast card. Much faster than the GTX 770. There are no official 3D monitors higher than 1080p, so even if you upgrade to a 27" 1440p monitor, a single 290 will still run strong.
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 9:30:50 AM

ohim said:
From what i`ve heard AMD has something similar to ShadowPlay ( http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/08/get-ready-for-new-rad... ). From my experience for now ShadowPlay is useless because it uses a codec with variable frame rate and this makes it imposible to edit in Premiere Pro or any other NLE because the video will get out of sync with the sound.

Personally i would go for the R9 290 (but if it`s a card with aftermarket cooler not the generic one) but since you seem to favor more the particle (PhysX i think you wanted to say) and the 3D (for me is just a ghimick and not really many even give a damn about it) of nvidia... only you can chose which one to get.


Yeah, I am talking about Physx. I know AMD cards can exhibit physx in games but I have heard NVIDIA has something called advance Physx which way better then AMD. And I really want 3d features. I dont care for mind blowing 3D, but I do need it. Specially to watch 3D movies.
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 9:35:45 AM

huilun02 said:
You can play in 3D even with an AMD card. It's called AMD HD3D

List of officially supported monitors:
http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLOGIES/AMD-HD3D/Pa...

AMD or Nvidia you will have to use 3D glasses.

The R9 290 is a blazing fast card. Much faster than the GTX 770. There are no official 3D monitors higher than 1080p, so even if you upgrade to a 27" 1440p monitor, a single 290 will still run strong.


AMD uses active or passive 3d??? Are they as good as Nvidia's 3D??? I will get a 120hz monitor for FPS.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 16, 2013 10:17:55 AM

Khairul37 said:
AMD uses active or passive 3d??? Are they as good as Nvidia's 3D??? I will get a 120hz monitor for FPS.


It actually uses both Active and Passive 3D http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/52134-r9-290a-enfc .. The card is the latest and greatest thing .. not going to lie they're noisy as hell but if you hold out til January and get eh non reference versions they should be a lot cooler and quieter
Share
!