Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Questions about thermal compound

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Thermal Compound
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2013 3:01:14 AM

I was just wondering, if i should buy the thermal grease/compound for my cpu? I have an AMD FX-6300 vishera? And the term i have been hearing a lot is over clocking. What does it do and mean? I've been told that if i run more power to my cpu, i will overclock it. I will be getting 850W power supply, will this matter??

More about : questions thermal compound

Best solution

a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2013 3:16:31 AM

first of over clocking means running you cpu at speeds higher than the stock speeds for better performance.

you processor runs at 3.5 ghz....now if you start oc ing, you will be able to get it running at around 4ghz or so, thereby increasing your cpu performance.

secondly it will not be enough to get a thermal compound....you have to get an entire new cpu cooler if you wish to oc.

this should be good for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i will need your full system specs to be able to tell how much can you oc.

850w psu is good enough.
Share
December 16, 2013 1:59:01 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
first of over clocking means running you cpu at speeds higher than the stock speeds for better performance.

you processor runs at 3.5 ghz....now if you start oc ing, you will be able to get it running at around 4ghz or so, thereby increasing your cpu performance.

secondly it will not be enough to get a thermal compound....you have to get an entire new cpu cooler if you wish to oc.

this should be good for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i will need your full system specs to be able to tell how much can you oc.

850w psu is good enough.


So, if i wanna OC i should get that cooler instead? What specs will you need to know if i can OC? And if i have the 850W power supply, am I in risk of OC ing my CPU??
m
0
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2013 2:10:31 PM

your motherboard make and model, graphic card make and model as well as your psu make and model.

oc ing to a sweet spot does not posses any threat.....but over doing it might harm the longevity though
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 4:01:17 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
your motherboard make and model, graphic card make and model as well as your psu make and model.

oc ing to a sweet spot does not posses any threat.....but over doing it might harm the longevity though


Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thats all of it, let me know what you think.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2013 4:07:29 PM

all your components are good except for the mainboard. with this board, i would say 3.8-3.9ghz is enough

good luck :) 
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 4:18:03 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
all your components are good except for the mainboard. with this board, i would say 3.8-3.9ghz is enough

good luck :) 


Thank you, what do you mean by the main board? so I shouldn't OC it then?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 156 à CPUs
December 16, 2013 4:22:48 PM

There are a lot of factors that go into the how much you can overclock a CPU. Your CPU, motherboard, chipset and cooling are the main things.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2013 4:23:38 PM

mainboard is your motherboard...you will be able to oc till 3.8-3.9 fine, you don't need to be worried :) 
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 4:26:56 PM

siddharthmukul007 said:
mainboard is your motherboard...you will be able to oc till 3.8-3.9 fine, you don't need to be worried :) 


Ahah okay thank you! I just didn't want anything bad to happen my first time you know?? Thanks a lot.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2013 4:28:18 PM

u are welcome :) 
m
0
l