Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2 players one pc

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 16, 2013 5:55:00 PM

My friend and I want to Play on one pc. So like battlefield 3 on 2 different monitors. Is that possible?
Asus gtx 670 2 gb
Intel Core is 3.5 ghz 4770 k
Asrock z87 extreme 6
G skill trident series 8 gb 2400 mhz

Can I do it? And if so how?

More about : players

December 16, 2013 5:59:17 PM

like play battlefield 3 separately? one person on one monitor the other on another monitor however using the same computer? If that's the case then it is possible however with a 670 it's not gonna happen without having terrible FPS. I remember my school doing this where they used one computer and had like 7 monitors each person doing something different. though it was terrible and the computer constantly froze. I honestly don't remember what it was but it's a hardware with a combination of software. I hope someone can help you though. Take note though your 670 isn't gonna cut it
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 6:06:35 PM

There is a piece of software called SoftXpand that allows you to basically turn your computer into 2. When you turn it on there is a log-in screen on each monitor and for the most part you can play games on both of them though I haven't tried anything more hard-core than Minecraft with that setup. Give it a try and tell us how it works
m
0
l
Related resources
December 16, 2013 6:31:14 PM

Damon Palovaara said:
There is a piece of software called SoftXpand that allows you to basically turn your computer into 2. When you turn it on there is a log-in screen on each monitor and for the most part you can play games on both of them though I haven't tried anything more hard-core than Minecraft with that setup. Give it a try and tell us how it works


That looks like a software version of what I was talking about, infact that looks like it'll work very well however your going to need enough ports for another set of mouse,keyboard and monitor.

the one at my school did the same thing howerver it was a piece of hardware which would enable once the BIOS started and would just take your instantly to a windows 7 login screen
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 6:37:40 PM

BlankInsanity said:
Damon Palovaara said:
There is a piece of software called SoftXpand that allows you to basically turn your computer into 2. When you turn it on there is a log-in screen on each monitor and for the most part you can play games on both of them though I haven't tried anything more hard-core than Minecraft with that setup. Give it a try and tell us how it works


That looks like a software version of what I was talking about, infact that looks like it'll work very well however your going to need enough ports for another set of mouse,keyboard and monitor.

the one at my school did the same thing howerver it was a piece of hardware which would enable once the BIOS started and would just take your instantly to a windows 7 login screen


Softxpand shares resources rather than splitting them evenly and allows 2 people to use the same GPU (I had it working with a GT240 and a HD7790). The only games I tested it with were Skyrim and Minecraft though but that confirms both OpenGL and DirectX
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 6:42:00 PM

Wow seems like a program worth buying. seems like it won't kill your FPS or does it...?
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 6:45:10 PM

BlankInsanity said:
Wow seems like a program worth buying. seems like it won't kill your FPS or does it...?


Well if you're playing games on two monitors then you'll only have slight decrease in FPS if you have one person playing per monitor since you're running two version of Windows in the background. If you play on 1 screen then it'll be 40-50% decrease in FPS since you're rendering 2x the pixels
m
0
l
December 16, 2013 6:50:14 PM

Damon Palovaara said:
BlankInsanity said:
Wow seems like a program worth buying. seems like it won't kill your FPS or does it...?


Well if you're playing games on two monitors then you'll only have slight decrease in FPS if you have one person playing per monitor since you're running two version of Windows in the background. If you play on 1 screen then it'll be 40-50% decrease in FPS since you're rendering 2x the pixels


I wonder would it be better to have a card with more VRAM for this type of things or more power? for example the GTX 770 is more powerful than the R9 280X however the 280x has 3GB of VRAM compared to the 770s 2GB of VRAM
m
0
l

Best solution

December 16, 2013 6:56:27 PM

BlankInsanity said:
Damon Palovaara said:
BlankInsanity said:
Wow seems like a program worth buying. seems like it won't kill your FPS or does it...?


Well if you're playing games on two monitors then you'll only have slight decrease in FPS if you have one person playing per monitor since you're running two version of Windows in the background. If you play on 1 screen then it'll be 40-50% decrease in FPS since you're rendering 2x the pixels


I wonder would it be better to have a card with more VRAM for this type of things or more power? for example the GTX 770 is more powerful than the R9 280X however the 280x has 3GB of VRAM compared to the 770s 2GB of VRAM


My guess is that it would need more VRAM since it would be loading two instances of said game but I don't know that for sure and it sounds like something you would need to look into yourself
Share
!