Solved

Haswell = Corsair VS450 compability, 1150 cpu budget cooler

Ok, so I'm building a budget system and out of curiosity I wanted to watch i5 4670k's review (my new CPU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H95oPEsN44 - So from 4:18 , this guy says about the new Haswell features C6/C7 power saving state, and I found out that my PSU does not have that compability, but it tells me not to worry because I can disable it from the BIOS, disable what actually?
Cause many of the components still haven't arrived so yea I cannot check that yet, I'm afraid not to do something stupid before when I turn on my PC...

I also have two more questions, I hope this PSU is enough for i5 4670k , GTX 650ti and 1xkingston hyperxblu 1gb 1600mhz , Black tesseract deepcool case with 3x120mm fans(LED) or more don't know yet. Not planning to OC at all.
Also, won't be playing on HD resolutions because my monitor doesn't support a higher res. than 1280x1024
And the 2nd question what CPU cooler should I use, budget one ofc, and please, this has been a problem to me cuase on my LGA775 most of the coolers had those plastic push pins, and from like 3-4 coolers they broke, I had one with backplate with screws but for some reason the fan died on me, RPM decreased significantly

So to sum it up, someone please tell me explain what should I disable from the bios
- If my PSU will be fine with my rig
- And a recommended budget good 1150 sk. CPU cooler with screws (no plastic pins please)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about haswell corsair vs450 compability 1150 cpu budget cooler
  1. The Haswell low power states will probably be disabled by default in your bios.
    How the setting will exactly look will depend on the motherboard you are using.

    PSU has enough power, but it is not a good model.
    Never buy a power supply that is not at least 80 plus rated.
    Some budget options:
    Seasonic S12ii 430
    Corsair CX430
    Silverstone Strider 500W ST50F-ES

    These decrease in quality and price as you go down the list.

    Budget CPU cooler that does a good job:
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
  2. VS 450 is not that good PSU, so if you have the chance to replace it then do it. Else stay with it and technically that PSU can run all of your components.

    Geforce GTX 650ti - requires 20 Ampere on +12V rail and a 400W PSU minimum

    You have to disable C6/C7 state on MB. I have seen some MB has it disabled by default. So you may get lucky.

    You can go with this cooler :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $29.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-17 08:15 EST-0500)
  3. lonewolf7 said:
    VS 450 is not that good PSU, so if you have the chance to replace it then do it. Else stay with it and technically that PSU can run all of your components.

    Geforce GTX 650ti - requires 20 Ampere on +12V rail and a 400W PSU minimum

    You have to disable C6/C7 state on MB. I have seen some MB has it disabled by default. So you may get lucky.

    You can go with this cooler :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $29.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-17 08:15 EST-0500)




    This is the mobo which I bought
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85M-E33.html

    and why is it not a good PSU, how, since it can run all of my components I don't see what the problems is, it's heating fast during gaming, high electricity bills?

    As for the cooler, yea I know that's a good one, for me it's a bit expensive, are there other options?
  4. I personally do not have any experience with that particular MB, so I cant tell if the POWER STATES are disabled by default or not.

    About PSU : Its not 80 plus certified so its not reliable. Low quality of CapXon capacitors could be a concern for long term reliability. Voltage regulation not that good.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($20.70 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $20.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-17 09:29 EST-0500)
  5. lonewolf7 said:
    I personally do not have any experience with that particular MB, so I cant tell if the POWER STATES are disabled by default or not.

    About PSU : Its not 80 plus certified so its not reliable. Low quality of CapXon capacitors could be a concern for long term reliability. Voltage regulation not that good.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($20.70 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $20.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-17 09:29 EST-0500)


    Will that put my PC/components in danger whilst intensively gaming or the PSU will fail or both could happen, I'm willing to risk it as long it doesn't burns other components

    And that cooler has plastic pins on it, which I pretty had enough of those... screws are much better imo
    and I've also noticed that the cooler master evo has the height of 159mm and the case has the height of 165mm, wonder if that will fit, because of the side coolers on the panel
    Was thinking of the following coolers
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/coolere/zerotherm/btf92-overclocker-edition-multi/
    or this one
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/coolere/cooler-master/hyper-103/
    I don't really wanna spend that much on a cooler, as long as it holds my CPU under 55C degrees at full load
    I'm not really sure about the zerotherm overclother edition , it's full copper the dissipation is big but slow, aluminium heatsink would be better in my opinion and copper heatpipes with direct touch but eh, I don't know much about that, correct me if I'm wrong
  6. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

    •bad 3D performance
    •crashing games
    •spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
    •freezing during gameplay
    •PSU overload can cause it to break down

    The worst case scenario it could take out other components with it when it would die.

    And I think a stock cooler is decent at work, when you are not overclocking. So first try with the stock cooler. If the results are not desirable you can buy a aftermarket cooler any time. And CPU can take as much as 90C when gaming, and will last for years.
  7. lonewolf7 said:
    What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

    •bad 3D performance
    •crashing games
    •spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
    •freezing during gameplay
    •PSU overload can cause it to break down

    The worst case scenario it could take out other components with it when it would die.

    And I think a stock cooler is decent at work, when you are not overclocking. So first try with the stock cooler. If the results are not desirable you can buy a aftermarket cooler any time. And CPU can take as much as 90C when gaming, and will last for years.


    I understand, well you see, I bought the CPU from a friend at a cheap price, he didn't really used it that much, nor OC, so he gave it to me without a stock cooler, but I'll try
    Anyways I'll try this PSU, hopefully It'll last me
    Looking for some more cooler suggestions though for 1150
  8. As you wish, I can only suggest you, what you buy is on your hand. Good luck.
  9. Best answer
    You can download the motherboard manual here:
    http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-21331.html

    On page 31 you will see this:
    Package C State limit [Auto]
    This item allows you to select a CPU C-state mode for power-saving when
    system is idle. This item appears when "Intel C-State" is enabled.
    [Auto] This setting will be configured automatically by BIOS.
    [C0~C7s] The power-saving level from high to low is C7s, C7, C6, C3,
    C2, then C0.
    [No limit] No C-state limit for CPU.

    Set the C state limit to C3 to disable the new Haswell C states.

    If you want to know more about 80 plus certification:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    To be 80 plus rated, the PSU must be at least 80% efficient at 20%, 50% and 80% load.
    The higher ratings like Bronze or Gold then increase these efficiency requirements.
    If a power supply is 70% efficient, it means it has to draw 1000W at the wall to output 700W.
    Believe it or not, some power supplies can be less efficient that this.

    Other than that, better power supplies have better components that will last longer and provide output voltages much closer to the standard (3.3V, 5V, 12V).
    They also tend to be rated to output the specified current at a higher temperature.
    When a power supply fails, it can take other components with it.
    The VS450 isn't terrible. It is still a Corsair supply.
  10. VincentP said:
    You can download the motherboard manual here:
    http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-21331.html

    On page 31 you will see this:
    Package C State limit [Auto]
    This item allows you to select a CPU C-state mode for power-saving when
    system is idle. This item appears when "Intel C-State" is enabled.
    [Auto] This setting will be configured automatically by BIOS.
    [C0~C7s] The power-saving level from high to low is C7s, C7, C6, C3,
    C2, then C0.
    [No limit] No C-state limit for CPU.

    Set the C state limit to C3 to disable the new Haswell C states.

    If you want to know more about 80 plus certification:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    To be 80 plus rated, the PSU must be at least 80% efficient at 20%, 50% and 80% load.
    The higher ratings like Bronze or Gold then increase these efficiency requirements.
    If a power supply is 70% efficient, it means it has to draw 1000W at the wall to output 700W.
    Believe it or not, some power supplies can be less efficient that this.

    Other than that, better power supplies have better components that will last longer and provide output voltages much closer to the standard (3.3V, 5V, 12V).
    They also tend to be rated to output the specified current at a higher temperature.
    When a power supply fails, it can take other components with it.
    The VS450 isn't terrible. It is still a Corsair supply.


    Why the C3 though and not C3 or C0
    and yes I didn't say it's bad for my rig, I just heard it has crappy capacitors, and it won't last me more than 3 years

    Anyways thanks for all of your answers I'm still open for suggestions for some I5 4670k good cheap coolers
  11. H47E said:
    VincentP said:
    You can download the motherboard manual here:
    http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-21331.html

    On page 31 you will see this:
    Package C State limit [Auto]
    This item allows you to select a CPU C-state mode for power-saving when
    system is idle. This item appears when "Intel C-State" is enabled.
    [Auto] This setting will be configured automatically by BIOS.
    [C0~C7s] The power-saving level from high to low is C7s, C7, C6, C3,
    C2, then C0.
    [No limit] No C-state limit for CPU.

    Set the C state limit to C3 to disable the new Haswell C states.

    If you want to know more about 80 plus certification:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    To be 80 plus rated, the PSU must be at least 80% efficient at 20%, 50% and 80% load.
    The higher ratings like Bronze or Gold then increase these efficiency requirements.
    If a power supply is 70% efficient, it means it has to draw 1000W at the wall to output 700W.
    Believe it or not, some power supplies can be less efficient that this.

    Other than that, better power supplies have better components that will last longer and provide output voltages much closer to the standard (3.3V, 5V, 12V).
    They also tend to be rated to output the specified current at a higher temperature.
    When a power supply fails, it can take other components with it.
    The VS450 isn't terrible. It is still a Corsair supply.


    Why the C3 though and not C3 or C0
    and yes I didn't say it's bad for my rig, I just heard it has crappy capacitors, and it won't last me more than 3 years

    Anyways thanks for all of your answers I'm still open for suggestions for some I5 4670k good cheap coolers


    The higher number in the C state means lower power usage when in this state.
    C6 and C7 were introduced with Haswell.
    C3 has been around for years:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-CPU-C-States-Power-Saving-Modes/611/4

    The cooler I mentioned above is recommended everywhere as a great budget option:
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

    If you want to up from there, Skythe and Noctua both make some great coolers.
    A bigger fan spinning slowly makes less noise than a small fan spinning fast.
    A bigger heat sink generally means you can run the fan slower and still keep the CPU cool.

    Many cooler reviews benchmark for overclocking.
    Really, most CPU coolers are overkill for a stock CPU.
    The Intel Core i7 4670K has a TDP of 84W.
    This efficiency means that you really don't have to work hard to cool it.
    Just make sure you pick something where you can slow the fan (e.g. Noctua) or the fan is PWM controlled by the motherboard based on temperature (e.g. Coolermaster or Skythe).
  12. VincentP said:
    H47E said:
    VincentP said:
    You can download the motherboard manual here:
    http://www.msi.com/service/download/manual-21331.html

    On page 31 you will see this:
    Package C State limit [Auto]
    This item allows you to select a CPU C-state mode for power-saving when
    system is idle. This item appears when "Intel C-State" is enabled.
    [Auto] This setting will be configured automatically by BIOS.
    [C0~C7s] The power-saving level from high to low is C7s, C7, C6, C3,
    C2, then C0.
    [No limit] No C-state limit for CPU.

    Set the C state limit to C3 to disable the new Haswell C states.

    If you want to know more about 80 plus certification:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    To be 80 plus rated, the PSU must be at least 80% efficient at 20%, 50% and 80% load.
    The higher ratings like Bronze or Gold then increase these efficiency requirements.
    If a power supply is 70% efficient, it means it has to draw 1000W at the wall to output 700W.
    Believe it or not, some power supplies can be less efficient that this.

    Other than that, better power supplies have better components that will last longer and provide output voltages much closer to the standard (3.3V, 5V, 12V).
    They also tend to be rated to output the specified current at a higher temperature.
    When a power supply fails, it can take other components with it.
    The VS450 isn't terrible. It is still a Corsair supply.


    Why the C3 though and not C3 or C0
    and yes I didn't say it's bad for my rig, I just heard it has crappy capacitors, and it won't last me more than 3 years

    Anyways thanks for all of your answers I'm still open for suggestions for some I5 4670k good cheap coolers


    The higher number in the C state means lower power usage when in this state.
    C6 and C7 were introduced with Haswell.
    C3 has been around for years:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-CPU-C-States-Power-Saving-Modes/611/4

    The cooler I mentioned above is recommended everywhere as a great budget option:
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

    If you want to up from there, Skythe and Noctua both make some great coolers.
    A bigger fan spinning slowly makes less noise than a small fan spinning fast.
    A bigger heat sink generally means you can run the fan slower and still keep the CPU cool.

    Many cooler reviews benchmark for overclocking.
    Really, most CPU coolers are overkill for a stock CPU.
    The Intel Core i7 4670K has a TDP of 84W.
    This efficiency means that you really don't have to work hard to cool it.
    Just make sure you pick something where you can slow the fan (e.g. Noctua) or the fan is PWM controlled by the motherboard based on temperature (e.g. Coolermaster or Skythe).


    oh I understand now

    Well, yes but CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a bit too pricy for my pocket
    Plus here in Romania the speficied cooler is 15$ more expensive than in other coutries:/
    so I'd like to purchase a cheaper cooler preferably without pushpins, like I stated because I hate those
    Really wonder if this will do the trick, idk about its copper heatsink though
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/coolere/zerotherm/btf92-overclocker-edition-multi/
    and as for the sound I'm not really bothered by it, as long as it doesn't make the sound of a blow dryer
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel Motherboards haswell GTX650 ti CPUs 1150 cooler C6/C7 Corsair Sleep Mode Components PSU