$1600 Gaming PC (i7 4770k | GTX 780 lightning | 4x4 1866MHz Gskill RipjawsZ)

nmakes

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
This gaming build is a replacement for a gaming console. It will also be used for mild photo and video editing and for watching HD BluRay movies (also burning BR disks). It will be overclocked in the future as per requirement.
How will this build perform for the next 2 years? Any suggestions or improvements on this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1613.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-18 04:50 EST-0500)

Solution
As stated above, you need a better PSU, 850 watt seasonic Gold rated is affordable, you will be able to SLI later on.

- 4 x 4 ram is not good, go 2x8 so you can later expand it to 4 slots. (the gaine of 4 slots vs 2 slots is so minimal its ridiculous)
- DO NOT build your own supports, you could overload the card / short it.
You do not need a support, cards bend and thats fine and normal, they tested it but if you are still concerned get an Asus version i believe with backplate.
- Do not go for an 128gb Samsung pro, go for an 250gb Evo, on benchmarks it seems slower but its just as fast actually in real life use. The new technology and the size of the 250GB evo will make it last a long long time!.
I myself have a 128gb pro, no problems...

Reikokuna

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Overall is a great build but I'll give you some tips:
- Mobo: I would prefer Asus. Had some problems with MSI with the Z87...
- Video Card: I got a GTX770 with a Asus Hero and due to its weight I needed to get a support to the graphic card because it bends on the part where it is not connected to the mobo. Consider getting some kind of support (even home made).
- Power Supply: If you are going to overclock get a better PSU (watts and certification), the AX brand of corsair is pretty accessible and very very good ones.

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
As stated above, you need a better PSU, 850 watt seasonic Gold rated is affordable, you will be able to SLI later on.

- 4 x 4 ram is not good, go 2x8 so you can later expand it to 4 slots. (the gaine of 4 slots vs 2 slots is so minimal its ridiculous)
- DO NOT build your own supports, you could overload the card / short it.
You do not need a support, cards bend and thats fine and normal, they tested it but if you are still concerned get an Asus version i believe with backplate.
- Do not go for an 128gb Samsung pro, go for an 250gb Evo, on benchmarks it seems slower but its just as fast actually in real life use. The new technology and the size of the 250GB evo will make it last a long long time!.
I myself have a 128gb pro, no problems at all so its your choice here, just saying!.
- As for the motherboard, i have the same and i have no problems with it at all, although i would like to go with an Asus simply because i have never seen a broken Asus component in my life (not many if i cant remember for sure!). I did however in the past had to disrecommend MSI fully, however sinds it has been years i decided to try the motherboard, till now it runs fine, nothing to complaine and it seems to be of decent quality. Also the sound is very good!.

For the rest! your looking at a good 5 Years for this system, and probably much much longer, if you will score a second 780 then for really cheap your in the game on ultra once more.

Gratz on the awesome system.

Solution