GT 610 can't play 1080p video smoothly?

bluesmurphs

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I bought this card so I could play 1080p video off of netflix, hulu, youtube, ect in 1080p smoothly. Well... it doesn't do that. I am not sure if this card is just really bad or if my cpu or RAM is holding me back (Pentium D 945 and 3gb ddr2 RAM). Also I am on windows 7 home 32 bit.

I have attempted to change settings around for gpu acceleration but I am not sure if I am doing it right because I get barley any extra performance (or none). Does gpu acceleration only work with video files on your computer or is there a way to get streamed content from youtube and netflix to run off the gpu.

I know that the GT 610 is a crappy card but it should be able to play 1080p videos at more than 13-20 fps smoothly :/ Also, I know that there are better cards out there... I bought this one because it was cheap and I only needed 1080p video playback.

Solution
Do you have the output to your display plugged into the motherboard or card? You need it plugged into the card if it isn't already.

GT 610 is absolutely horrible so don't expect miracles, its slower than integrated in most scenarios, really its just intended for expanding your display outputs, but it should be able to run 1080p videos without issue.

bluesmurphs

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Um... are you okay? Did you have a concussion? Or seizure?

Besides the awful spelling/grammar, what you said makes no sense. I found out what the problem is but everything you said is completely wrong. The GPU wasn't even being used. After testing it out I found that most browsers (including chrome) don't even use the GPU for video, they use the CPU. Internet explorer 9 and above uses GPU. I tested the same 1080p videos on Internet explorer and it runs fine... buuuuutttt its Internet explorer :( I have tried many ways to get GPU acceleration for other browsers but none of them work well.

So in the end it is my CPU, not the graphics card. Anyway, thanks for the... answer?

Do you have the output to your display plugged into the motherboard or card? You need it plugged into the card if it isn't already.

GT 610 is absolutely horrible so don't expect miracles, its slower than integrated in most scenarios, really its just intended for expanding your display outputs, but it should be able to run 1080p videos without issue.

Solution

bluesmurphs

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Yes its plugged into the card. The GT 610 is bad but its not worse than intel integrated (which in most cases runs 1080p video fine). I think the Intel HD 4000 is just below/equal to the GT 610. The Integrated graphics on my pentium CPU is reeeaally bad so this is an upgrade. Like you said, it should run 1080p video fine (which is why I got it). I've even seen it play games like left 4 dead 2 at 720p around 50fps (but I'm not using it for games).

Also, its not my internet speed if anyone's wondering.

I'm going to pick your answer as the best since I already discovered the problem and the other answer is... well, yaaaah...

Thanks for the help!