AF 140 Top fans are not fitting

Bardock518

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hello all,

I had recently purchased and installed a carbide 500R case and was wanting to add two tops fans to the case. After careful review, I decided to go with the AF 140's in order to increase the exhaust within the system. After receiving them in the mail today I tried installing them but neither the screws that came with them nor the fan screws that came with the case fit into the very small holes on the case for the 140mm sizes. If anyone can help please do!

Here are my full specs:
Carbide 500R
GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard
R9 290x GPU
i5-3570 CPU
HX750 PSU
Nh-D14 CPU Cooler
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
WD 1TB Hard Drive
Windows 8.1
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Solution
They are short (~1/2 inch) thick coarse-threaded screws.
Typical case-fan mounting locations receive these in holes slightly smaller (but not, you know, tiny).
Case-fan mounting using 80mm, 92mm, 120mm fans etc. is all standardized using these screws, and has not changed in decades.
Looking at your case, there appear to be some type of 'inserts' in the mounting screw locations for the fans, typically some sort of vibration-reduction mechanism.
Nice case, BTW...
Anyway, look closely at how all the other fans have been mounted and what screws used.
With a proprietary (Corsair) vibe-reducing setup, good old-fashioned solid case-fan mounting may not apply to you...
Look then for a screw in amongst all those black fasteners they supplied you...

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Hi Bardock,
The fan screw holes are small aren't they? The screws are basically self-tapping screws (since the holes are not threaded).
It will require good arm strength, a strong hand and a good, proper-size screwdriver to reef those screws in there.
Sorry bro, that's just how it goes...
Without good leverage on the situation, those Philips screwheads are gonna strip... looks real bad too. Unprofessional.
Spend whatever, $10 bucks and get yerself a nice big, killer Philips screwdriver if you need one. You will use it a lot and will come to treasure it...

Bardock518

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

So just to make sure, the fan screws that I have to 'thread' are the long ones with a little bit of threading at the end? What I understand is that I have to self-thread them by repeatedly screwing them into the small holes? Does this create metal shavings because I tried to do this and that's what ended up coming out. Please tell me if I am correct.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
They are short (~1/2 inch) thick coarse-threaded screws.
Typical case-fan mounting locations receive these in holes slightly smaller (but not, you know, tiny).
Case-fan mounting using 80mm, 92mm, 120mm fans etc. is all standardized using these screws, and has not changed in decades.
Looking at your case, there appear to be some type of 'inserts' in the mounting screw locations for the fans, typically some sort of vibration-reduction mechanism.
Nice case, BTW...
Anyway, look closely at how all the other fans have been mounted and what screws used.
With a proprietary (Corsair) vibe-reducing setup, good old-fashioned solid case-fan mounting may not apply to you...
Look then for a screw in amongst all those black fasteners they supplied you with that will do the job.

Solution