Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this build hold up for gaming? Less than $600!

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 19, 2013 1:01:39 PM

Hi there, I asked a question yesterday on a certain build I had but have since then scrapped it and started over. Would this build play WoW on max? And is this a good build for the price? (You are more than welcome to suggest replacements/alternatives)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mT2a

Also, I really can't afford to go over 600 as of right now. Major budget.

More about : build hold gaming 600

December 19, 2013 1:37:45 PM

EDIT! Sorry, it's for gaming - just re-read the post.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 1:45:21 PM

ChillaxedUpgrader said:
Hey, I'm just working a quick build up which could save some bucks. What's the PC for? No graphics-intensive stuff like games/video editing?


Hey! Thanks for the reply. I'll be using it for games but not for video editing. The games I play aren't like Crysis 3 or anything, just WoW/GW2/ and Elder Scrolls Online when it releases.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 19, 2013 1:49:06 PM

I've also looked at this build --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mV5o

Can anyone tell me if either of the builds I've posted will work well for my needs? I'll be able to upgrade in the future but for now I'm just ordering parts on my Christmas budget of around $500-ish.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 19, 2013 1:52:21 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 16:50 EST-0500)

This is a much better option and it will give a lot more gaming options/upgrade options in future if you plan to do other things.
Share
December 19, 2013 1:55:14 PM

Hey, I'm suggesting swapping the processor, motherboard and memory, to provide you with better power and save you some money too! But it needs a graphics card if you want to play WoW.

This is from the Battle.net site:

Recommended graphics cards...
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT,
ATI™ Radeon HD 4830 (512 MB) or better

I would aim for something higher to help with future-proofing. You should be able to find something for less than $100 extra.

Anyway, these are my suggestions without a video card. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVna

Anyone else got ideas?
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 1:57:51 PM

MysticalBeing said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 16:50 EST-0500)

This is a much better option and it will give a lot more gaming options/upgrade options in future if you plan to do other things.


Hey Mystical. Is the cooler needed if there's no overclock involved?
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:01:41 PM

ChillaxedUpgrader said:
MysticalBeing said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 16:50 EST-0500)

This is a much better option and it will give a lot more gaming options/upgrade options in future if you plan to do other things.


Hey Mystical. Is the cooler needed if there's no overclock involved?


No, but if he wants to later then he should buy a cpu cooler. The stock ones aren't so good with overclocking.

Edit: you can save more money buy using the corsair 200r or 300r
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:03:32 PM

Hmmmmm, both of those look really nice! I need a GPU as well which is why I was trying for the APU. Man, building for less than $600 is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought :( 
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:07:11 PM

MysticalBeing said:
ChillaxedUpgrader said:
MysticalBeing said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mVkv/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($107.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 16:50 EST-0500)

This is a much better option and it will give a lot more gaming options/upgrade options in future if you plan to do other things.


Hey Mystical. Is the cooler needed if there's no overclock involved?


No, but if he wants to later then he should buy a cpu cooler. The stock ones aren't so good with overclocking.


Agreed - it's LBoyle's choice really on that one. Looks like we came up identical on a few items! I didn't change the the optical drive 'cos that's not my strongest area. I'm always tempted to suggest running a smaller HDD and getting an SSD for games, for sheer speed. What do you think about this?

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 19, 2013 2:07:41 PM

the amd a10 is not going to be able to play wow on max

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

at "good" quality level it can play at 60fps which is compltely playable. at max it will likely drop lower.

integrated graphics have always been weak.

you will want a graphics card for ultra. i say play wow on "good" for now and then "ultra" once you buy one in the future.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:08:09 PM

Lboyles said:
Hmmmmm, both of those look really nice! I need a GPU as well which is why I was trying for the APU. Man, building for less than $600 is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought :( 

Not really, but I'm just trying to give you a 1080p gaming experience; if that is what your looking for. If not then you can get a cheaper graphics card. Plus MMO's take a lot of processing power to be able to play efficiently. The A10 isn't really going to give you a lot of leverage in that department, since your planning on playing GW2 and Elders Scrolls Online.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:10:39 PM

Lboyles said:
Hmmmmm, both of those look really nice! I need a GPU as well which is why I was trying for the APU. Man, building for less than $600 is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought :( 


Hey but check out Mystical's suggestion. You're under $600 still including a good GPU. :) 
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:12:40 PM

ChillaxedUpgrader said:
Lboyles said:
Hmmmmm, both of those look really nice! I need a GPU as well which is why I was trying for the APU. Man, building for less than $600 is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought :( 


Hey but check out Mystical's suggestion. You're under $600 still including a good GPU. :) 


Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Mystical's build, it looks rather nice for the price! Thanks guys, you've helped a TON!
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 2:25:52 PM

Pleased to help. Good luck - let us know how it goes.
m
0
l
!