i7-930 NOT oc'd...running hot?

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Last night my computer shut down and I realized it was hot. Wasn't doing anything but surfing. At any rate, I took the case apart dusted/canned aired everything out. No change, so I removed and reapplied Arctic Silver 5 (six times) and it idles at about 47C but even at 20% load I'm getting 70-72C. I'm not sure what else to check. Is that too hot? It seems too hot to me. I also keep cleaning and reapplying the thermal to make sure I got it right.

I have the
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (swallows everything in there)
i7-960 3.2Ghz CPU
ASUS P6X58D Motherboard
XFX R7800 Ghost (replacement)
12 GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3
Thermaltake Water 2.0
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Not sure what else you need to know. Thanks in advance, Dixie

Solution
Yeah it sounds like the pump isn't working right on your cooler if the fan is blowing through the rad fine.

I would try the stock fan. The stock fan is so crap that if you see any improvement then you know your other cooler is faulty.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
That sounds like either your cpu fan has failed, or your case fans, or even a gpu fan failure could cause the case to heat up if your GPU is getting hot... last possible choice is PSU fan failure spewing hot air into the case that way.

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
GPU is not hot. Checked that in Catalyst. Power supply fan working as I can see it. I'm not real familiar with the Thermaltake 2.0 but both of those fans are working. Strange it just happened last night. Thanks.

Update: GPU is at 39C with a fan speed of 37%.

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Just not sure about that. Looks okay but you know. Hasn't made any new noise or become louder. I could try out the old CPU fan that came with the unit when I purchased it, if you think that might help.

For instance right now, I'm running Malwarebytes, and using FF browser. I have six tabs open, real temp said it's a load of 4.4 to 4.7%, and the temperature is hitting 40-51C.

Update: It's up to 58C now. I'm wondering how it can possibly overheat when I have 7 fans and one up top is very large.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah it sounds like the pump isn't working right on your cooler if the fan is blowing through the rad fine.

I would try the stock fan. The stock fan is so crap that if you see any improvement then you know your other cooler is faulty.

Solution

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Thanks, I had posted that there are 7 fans in that case with one of them on top being extra large, so I wondered how it could overheat. I'll try the stock cooler and post back. Thank you again.

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Yes, I cleaned it with alcohol, reapplied the thermal paste, and set it. Upon start up, and as soon as I could load real temp, it was already at 98C. Going to reset it again now. Thanks.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

What? I dont even have an AMD system, and havent for years.

The fact is, his cpu shouldn't be getting that hot.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Irrelevant. It should not be reaching these temperatures when lightly loaded. Just because 100'c is the limit, doesnt mean something isn't wrong for it to be hitting 98'c as soon as he has booted up his computer. That is not normal.

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Totally want to thank all you guys. RobCrezz, I'm a she not a he. =) Evidently the Thermaltake water 2.0 bit the dust. I found out what happened with the stock cooler, one of the plastic pin thingy's was broken so I'm guessing that's what made it hotter as soon as it booted up. Correct? I put in a CoolMaster V8 that I had bought but never used and it's idling at a steady 35C. Now on a 23% load I'm getting the highest core at 48C. The CoolMaster V8 is very large that's why I never used it. Just can't see something that big hanging off the side of the motherboard. I've asked Thermaltake to send me a replacement.

DeathAndPain, I didn't not know how high the temperature could go, that's what scared me as I thought it was truly extreme. Thanks for that bit of information.

I certainly appreciate all you guys patience and expertise on the subject. THANK YOU ALL so much. Have a wonderful day. Dixie_Darlin

Dixie_Darlin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

No worries about that. I do certainly appreciate all of you guys help. Totally get frazzled when that crap happens. :gun:

Wishing you a Merry Christmas as well!