Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

installed OS on SSD how to install other stuff on HDD?

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 19, 2013 5:24:27 PM

i just installed my OS on my SSD which is only 64gb, do i have to put anything else on it such as the drivers on the motherboard disc or can they work perfectly fine on the HDD?
also i can't find my HDD! it showed up on OS install as a option but now that its installed i can only see the SSD and everything is downloading to it instead of the HDD.
help?
December 19, 2013 5:31:11 PM

for the hard drive issue / start button / left click on computer/ select manage/on the left side you should see second from the bottom a thing called disk management / click on that/all the drives connected to your computer will show there click on the drive and left click format.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 19, 2013 5:34:51 PM

ok im in disk management, it says my SSD is Disc 0 C Drive and my HDD Disc 1
and no drive, its just there.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 5:39:43 PM

USAFRet said:
To start, see this tutorial: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...

If your HDD isn't showing up - does it show in Disk Management? If so, you might just have to give it a drive letter.


exactly, it is is disk management but it doesn't have a drive letter and is Unnallocated. no idea how to give it a letter unfortunetly.
nice tutorial though, will do that after i finish this up.
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 5:45:55 PM

sethwilliam said:
USAFRet said:
To start, see this tutorial: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...

If your HDD isn't showing up - does it show in Disk Management? If so, you might just have to give it a drive letter.


exactly, it is is disk management but it doesn't have a drive letter and is Unnallocated. no idea how to give it a letter unfortunetly.
nice tutorial though, will do that after i finish this up.


Right click on the Unallocated space. What options does it give?
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 6:02:25 PM

USAFRet said:
sethwilliam said:
USAFRet said:
To start, see this tutorial: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirect...

If your HDD isn't showing up - does it show in Disk Management? If so, you might just have to give it a drive letter.


exactly, it is is disk management but it doesn't have a drive letter and is Unnallocated. no idea how to give it a letter unfortunetly.
nice tutorial though, will do that after i finish this up.


Right click on the Unallocated space. What options does it give?


1. New Simple Volume
i clicked that
assigned simple volume space the max.
assigned drive letter E
then this is where im stuck
1. Do not format this volume
2. Formate this volume with the following settings
File System A: exFAT or B: NTSF
Allocation Unit Size: Default
Volume Label: New Volume
Perform a quick format: yes,no
Enable file and folder compression: yes,no
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 6:03:42 PM

Quote:
2. Formate this volume with the following settings
File System A: exFAT or B: NTSF


Choose NTFS
Go.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 6:11:29 PM

USAFRet said:
Quote:
2. Formate this volume with the following settings
File System A: exFAT or B: NTSF


Choose NTFS
Go.


thanks! now please help with my last questions.
once i install the OS (windows 7 64 bit) on the SSD i don't have to install ANYTHING else right? drivers, other programs, games will all work perfect fine on the HDD even though its seperate from the OS? only thing im really worried about is the drivers that came with the mobo, said i had to install some drivers or performance wouldn't be good, i just have no idea if those types of drivers can be seperated from the OS it was drivers like the audio, INF updater, .net framework 4.0
never had a SSD before and this small one i need to conserve space. thanks for helping
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 6:21:30 PM

sethwilliam said:
USAFRet said:
Quote:
2. Formate this volume with the following settings
File System A: exFAT or B: NTSF


Choose NTFS
Go.


thanks! now please help with my last questions.
once i install the OS (windows 7 64 bit) on the SSD i don't have to install ANYTHING else right? drivers, other programs, games will all work perfect fine on the HDD even though its seperate from the OS? only thing im really worried about is the drivers that came with the mobo, said i had to install some drivers or performance wouldn't be good, i just have no idea if those types of drivers can be seperated from the OS it was drivers like the audio, INF updater, .net framework 4.0
never had a SSD before and this small one i need to conserve space. thanks for helping


Actually, you have to install everything fresh. Drivers, applications, whatever. The new OS that lives on the new SSD will not know about anything.
Drivers, especially.
After that, install applications. Why? The Registry of the new OS does not know about them. Some few applications might be OK, bu the vast majority need to be actually installed.
Good news - during the install, you can choose where they go. On the SSD, somewhere on the HDD...wherever. Windows doesn't care, as long as you tell it during the install.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 6:41:56 PM

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear.
The SSD and HDD have NOTHING on them they are new. I meant that since the OS is on the SSD any files, drivers etc i want to install later will work perfectly fine on the HDD even though its got no OS on it.
Lastly the "desktop" is in a sense on the SSD so anything I place there will be on the SSD? Will shortcuts linking to programs on the HDD work then?
Ok no more questions now sorry.
Just help me out with those and I'm done.
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 6:51:50 PM

sethwilliam said:
Yes, sorry I should have been more clear.
The SSD and HDD have NOTHING on them they are new. I meant that since the OS is on the SSD any files, drivers etc i want to install later will work perfectly fine on the HDD even though its got no OS on it.
Lastly the "desktop" is in a sense on the SSD so anything I place there will be on the SSD? Will shortcuts linking to programs on the HDD work then?
Ok no more questions now sorry.
Just help me out with those and I'm done.


OK. Two blank drives. Perfect!
Install the OS on the SSD.
Drivers on the SSD.
Applications - these can go wherever. During the install process, choose "Custom" or "Advanced". You'll be given the opportunity to choose the install location on either drive.

In reality, individual applications don't take that much space. 1 or 2GB each.

The other HDD does not need its own OS. Applications can be installed wherever.
The earlier linked tutorial can assist with saving static files (Documents/Music/Video) wherever you want.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 6:56:58 PM

Ok thanks! So all drivers go on the SSD or just the motherboard drivers? Adding all the drivers like my video card driver/GeForce experience will eat up all the memory in no time, specially with all the updates.
m
0
l
a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 6:58:21 PM

sethwilliam said:
Ok thanks! So all drivers go on the SSD or just the motherboard drivers? Adding all the drivers like my video card driver/GeForce experience will eat up all the memory in no time, specially with all the updates.


Drivers are comparatively tiny. You'll be fine.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 7:00:43 PM

Haha ok so all drivers to the SSD. Thanks for the help. I hope this SSD will be worth it.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 863 G Storage
December 19, 2013 7:03:33 PM

sethwilliam said:
Haha ok so all drivers to the SSD. Thanks for the help. I hope this SSD will be worth it.


It will be. I have two. One for OS and ALL applications. The other for working files. Both 128GB. Music, movies, games live elsewhere.
Like lightening.
Share
!