R9 290 Crossfire Issue

CptTroll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hi Tom's Hardware,

So recently I purchased two R9 290's to Crossfire. I've just started using them today and I can't help but feel they're vastly under performing.

I'm on LGA1155 using a Maximus IV Extreme (B3 Revision) and an i7 2600k. I also have a sound card in there (Not sure if that affects PCIE lanes). I should mention that my Motherboard manual states to run crossfire config in the first two PCIE slots, however the 290's run very hot and I decided to run the second card in a lower slot for ventilation reasons.

The FPS I get in games appears to be quite underwhelming compared to reviews of the same setup. I have tested both cards in Furmark and GPU-Z, the drivers are up to date. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Note 1: I use the AMD CCC to set profiles for individual games as well, if that's relevant.
Note 2: I tested Skyrim with one card (2560x1440) - average 90-100fps. Crossfire gets less.

Solution

That is what I am saying. :)

CptTroll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

Thanks for replying,

I've tried moving the card to the second PCIE slot but no performance difference. FPS doubles in furmark tests but in Skyrim it stays at around 80-90. Hmmm...

CptTroll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I was not aware of that! Well I've just tried Dota 2 and it runs better on one card as well. Could you recommend a game that would test well?

Dota 2 is also not really capable of using 2 GPUs to their full extent.

Battlefield 3/4 would be a good bet.

CptTroll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I just tried Battlefield 3, at best a performance gain of 10 fps when crossfiring. Both cards appear to run fine in GPU-Z and the second card is being taxed, though not as heavily as the first.

CptTroll

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

So would you say that it isn't necessarily an issue with the cards themselves, but they just need demanding games to push them properly and get the proper scaling? I'll just use one graphics card on less demanding games then.

That is what I am saying. :)

Solution

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012
if you have vsync on and are getting audio chopping and poor performance
a. disable vsync
b. download and save the 9.2 beta drivers from
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_11_beta_9_2_(13_250_18_november_7)_download.html
then uninstall current drivers by selecting uninstall when you run the driver package
once complete a message saying a reboot is required to complete process. before clicking yes disable you internet connection this is because if you don't windows will automatically install a later display driver that carries the issue of poor performance or audio chopping or both before it starts when vsync is enabled. you should notice the resolution on startup defaults to the lowest setting when there are no drivers installed
run the 9.2 driver package you downloaded from the link above. if you view log once complete the display driver should be v 13.250.18.0000 this should fix the problem and you'll be able to use vsync with good performance no audio problems until amd resolve it in a newer driver revision