Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

can i upgrade to an amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition with my mobo?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 20, 2013 7:21:58 AM

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my processor and I'm confused about whether or not I can use the 965 with my motherboard. First off, my pc:

Hp pavilion 6674y gray edition
motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
cpu: phenom ii x4 820 2.8ghz
psu: dynex 400w
gpu: hd radeon 7770
6 gb of ram

Now, I am on a super tight budget and I know that this is a very weak rig for gaming. However, I am not a frame rate junkie and to be honest, until Battlefield 4, I could run pretty much any game, even arma 2 and 3, at 30 to 50 fps with most settings between high and ultra and using fxaa and anisotropic filtering usually on ultra. sometimes I go below 30 if there is a lot going on in the area of what ever map i am on. This is fine for me as I cannot afford to spend hundreds, and definitely not thousands on a gaming pc and I still get a much better gaming experience than playing on consoles. I know that i need a new cpu because with B4, it's not the gpu that's struggling. No matter what my graphics settings are, after about 2 minutes of multiplayer, the cpu usage goes to 100% and it becomes completely unplayable. I've also found all the optimization tricks for this game and applied them, which helped but still can't play the game. So, back to my main question. Can I run a 965 black edition cpu with this mobo? The reason I'm asking on here is because, naturally, i went to the hp site first and looked at all the cpu's that are compatible with this motherboard. It says above the list of compatible cpu's that the mobo supports "95w" cpu, but, every single cpu on the list that is above the one that i currently have is a 125w cpu. WTF? Can someone please clear the confusion for me? Can I use one of the supposed "compatible" cpu's on HP's list or not? Thanks in advance to anyone that feels like helping me out.
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2013 7:29:09 AM

That motherboard is am2 and the 965 uses am3 (motherboard socket type). It will only work if there's an update for your motherboard BIOS to support am3. Otherwise it won't work and even if it does you prob won't get 100% out of ur CPU with an older socket holding it back.
m
0
l
December 20, 2013 7:31:44 AM

Beezy said:
That motherboard is am2 and the 965 uses am3 (motherboard socket type). It will only work if there's an update for your motherboard BIOS to support am3. Otherwise it won't work and even if it does you prob won't get 100% out of ur CPU with an older socket holding it back.


m
0
l
Related resources
December 20, 2013 7:32:30 AM

oh, well, then why is it listed as being a compatible upgrade for that motherboard?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2013 7:32:34 AM

no its am3 however it only suports up to 95w tdp cpu,s while a phantom x4 965be is a 125w cpu
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 97 à CPUs
a c 91 V Motherboard
December 20, 2013 7:33:49 AM

There the X4 850 3.3 GHz, but I don't think it worth it.
m
0
l
December 20, 2013 7:40:33 AM

legokill101 said:
no its am3 however it only suports up to 95w tdp cpu,s while a phantom x4 965be is a 125w cpu


DeathAndPain said:
Unless you can get a suitable CPU very cheap in used condition, the upgrade will indeed not be worth it. You will notice a performance increase, but not one that would justify forking out a considerable amount of money. This CPU is very old after all. Even modern entry-level chips can outclass it.


m
0
l
December 20, 2013 7:44:57 AM

I understand that this is not the best cpu to go for for gaming, but the increase will be good for me since i can get this cpu for 95 bucks on pc part picker which beats the hell out of having to buy some other cpu which then needs a new mobo. now i know that i can get that combo not too much more than i would spend on a $100 cpu, however that means that i also have to fork out another 100 bucks for a new windows 7, which then means that it'll be for ever before i can actually play battlefield 4. i could do 95 bucks next week and be done with it. like i said, ive come this far with my current rig and I've been pretty happy with the performance. it won't take much to please me in this category.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 20, 2013 8:10:55 AM

DeathAndPain said:
Again, I am afraid you will be disappointed, because the performance increase will not be that much, and you may find BF4 not running well despite the upgrade. Rather invest $200 well later than wasting $100 now. Anyway, I do not understand why you would need another copy of Windows 7? Windows 7-licenses are typically not bound to the hardware. Exceptions are only possible if you have a pre-installed copy of Windows with a vendor-specific key that does not need to be activated (Microsoft gives these to big manufacturers like Dell so they do not have to activate millions of new PCs individually). Even then, if you have the sticker with the key, you should be able to activate via telephone after replacing the mainboard and reinstalling windows.


Share
December 20, 2013 8:14:31 AM

i do in fact have a pre-installed windows. I have heard about the over the phone thing, but i read that it was hit or miss, as in sometimes micro soft just won't let you do it. if there is a way that i can find out for sure that i can transfer my license then i would buy an fx 4300 cpu and a compatible mobo, which i found for 55 bucks on newegg. so thats about 160 to 170 bucks which isn't bad at all. is there a way that i can confirm that i will be able to transfer the license for my oem windows to another pc?
m
0
l
December 20, 2013 8:40:54 AM

DeathAndPain said:
Typically, you cannot activate such a Windows over the internet, but usually you can by activating via telephone. The computer may ask you on how many machines you have your copy of Windows installed, and you are well-advised to answer "one".

If you want to be absolutely sure, call the Windows activation telephone number in advance. I remember that there was a path through the automated computer dialogue that ends with you being connected to a real human, who you can ask.

You should, however, make sure you have a real Windows 7 installation CD and not only a recovery CD that installs a pre-installed Windows 7 onto your hard disk that contains all the drivers for your old mainboard. That would be a mess you do not want to have. You can, however, legally borrow such a CD from a friend, seeing that the license key is only related to Windows 7 and not to the particular CD, and it is legal to install from the borrowed CD because you do own a valid Win7 license. You just need to make sure to delete your previous installation, which you obviously do when you install anew to the same hard disk.


m
0
l
December 20, 2013 8:42:34 AM

i see, well, hopefully i can find someone that has an actual cd for win7. everyone i know either has win8 or an oem version like me. also, how do i find the number to call to see if my license can be transferred?
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 6:07:35 AM

DeathAndPain said:
It is displayed once you try to activate your WIndows via telephone. I understand that your current Windows is already activated. It should also be possible to find the number via Google, although I cba to do it right now.


m
0
l
December 21, 2013 6:10:57 AM

DeathAndPain said:
What si the use of these pointless quote responses you keep making?


m
0
l
December 21, 2013 6:20:16 AM

holy crap, my bad, i've been doing it wrong. i apologize, i didn't realize i was doing that lol. hopefully im doing it right now. Anyway, i'll check out the number if i can find it. also, back to my original question. even though the 965 is listed as a 125w cpu but is also listed as compatible with my motherboard on the hp site, while at the same time saying that it only supports 95w cpu's right in the same paragraph, then can i use it or not? I realize that it wont be a big performance increase, but when i play battlefield 4, for the first 2 minutes or so of gameplay the performance is as good as any other game i play. but then the cpu starts running at 100% and the game glitches like crazy. this only happens with this game so i know my cpu is ok. wouldn't the 965 at least stop that problem from happening considering that the specs are better than what the minimum requirements are for the game? as of now, i am below the minimum requirements so it makes since that it won't play. i just really want to find a processor that at least has enough extra juice to get me over this one hurdle(which will keep me busy for a long time) without having to change mobo's and windows and all that. just a quick and easy upgrade.

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2013 9:06:45 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
holy crap, my bad, i've been doing it wrong. i apologize, i didn't realize i was doing that lol. hopefully im doing it right now. Anyway, i'll check out the number if i can find it. also, back to my original question. even though the 965 is listed as a 125w cpu but is also listed as compatible with my motherboard on the hp site, while at the same time saying that it only supports 95w cpu's right in the same paragraph, then can i use it or not? I realize that it wont be a big performance increase, but when i play battlefield 4, for the first 2 minutes or so of gameplay the performance is as good as any other game i play. but then the cpu starts running at 100% and the game glitches like crazy. this only happens with this game so i know my cpu is ok. wouldn't the 965 at least stop that problem from happening considering that the specs are better than what the minimum requirements are for the game? as of now, i am below the minimum requirements so it makes since that it won't play. i just really want to find a processor that at least has enough extra juice to get me over this one hurdle(which will keep me busy for a long time) without having to change mobo's and windows and all that. just a quick and easy upgrade.




ok did some research and this is actually false theres plenty of cpus thats support your board there all 95w some 125w were released with 95w counter parts
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

if looking for a jump in performance

go with the 6 cores finding them can be a bit of a pain though and depends on your spending limit

Phenom II X6 1045T
max i would suggest to run on it

http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-1045T-2-70-GHz-Processor/d...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080ATR2Y/?tag=pcpapi-20

with 6 cores should handle games fine

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/217/AMD_Phenom_II_X4_8...

this is really maxing it out

since bf4 takes advantage of more cores.

plus 7770 is a low end card

600w psu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7850
http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&s...

advantages double frame jump from old card

id do the upgrades in this order

x 6 phenom
cooler
600w psu
graphics card

this will keep you happy for a good while you probly wont get the max settings but medium and high would be what i consider youd reach for the next couple of years
m
0
l
December 23, 2013 8:22:10 AM

ok, first off, let me say, again, that I'm sorry for the way I'm posting. I can't figure out why every time i try to respond to someone it pops up twice. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I even chose the last guy's post as the best answer, while it was very informative, it was an accident because i clearly don't know what I'm doing lol. However, based off of what he said, i looked some more and found a phenom II x4 945 deneb, which is the 95w version of this particular cpu. Anyone know if this one is any good? I was able to find a comparison between this and the one i currently have and this one is definitely better, matter of fact, it did better against my current cpu than the one beyondlogic recommended, which was the 6 core. While this test wasn't done with any games, the 945 seems to be a pretty decent upgrade for only just under $100. My plans for a gpu were to in the near future pick up a gtx 660. If i can get this cpu, then I can get to that card a lot sooner. Plus, shouldn't this and the 660 do much better than what i'm getting at this point? Again, my main objective is to just be able to play battlefield 4 as this is the only game I own that I cannot play. If i can make that game run better, then that'll be that much better all my other games will run, i would think.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 10:25:43 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
ok, first off, let me say, again, that I'm sorry for the way I'm posting. I can't figure out why every time i try to respond to someone it pops up twice. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. I even chose the last guy's post as the best answer, while it was very informative, it was an accident because i clearly don't know what I'm doing lol. However, based off of what he said, i looked some more and found a phenom II x4 945 deneb, which is the 95w version of this particular cpu. Anyone know if this one is any good? I was able to find a comparison between this and the one i currently have and this one is definitely better, matter of fact, it did better against my current cpu than the one beyondlogic recommended, which was the 6 core. While this test wasn't done with any games, the 945 seems to be a pretty decent upgrade for only just under $100. My plans for a gpu were to in the near future pick up a gtx 660. If i can get this cpu, then I can get to that card a lot sooner. Plus, shouldn't this and the 660 do much better than what i'm getting at this point? Again, my main objective is to just be able to play battlefield 4 as this is the only game I own that I cannot play. If i can make that game run better, then that'll be that much better all my other games will run, i would think.



660 nvidia and 7850 are about the same performance depending on the game but the 7850 is better in most tests

a 7870 is even better then the both of them

820 vs 945
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-945-95W-vs-AMD...

820 vs 1045
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1045T-vs-AMD-P...

820 score gaming
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+Phenom...

945 gaming
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+Phenom...

1045 gaming
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD_Phenom...

clear winner 1045
m
0
l
December 23, 2013 11:07:43 AM

hey thanks man, that definitely clears some stuff up for me. pretty straight forward. guess maybe i will keep my eyes open for the 1045t if i see a good deal. but, honest opinion, would this paired with something of the 7850/660 nature be better or worse than if i were to get something like the fx 4300 with compatible mobo(and new windows) and one of the mentioned gpu's? or maybe around the same?
m
0
l
December 23, 2013 12:20:54 PM

i mean, i would think that the 965 would do better than the 820 which i have now, but obviously its out of the question since it's 125w. but as far as the 1045t goes, i can get one of those for 130 bucks used, and i read where someone said they use it to play battlefield 4 on ultra with no problems.. they also failed to mention at what fps though. I think i might just get one of these now. but my new question now is, would it be better to upgrade to the 1045t for $130 with my current mobo, or get a new motherboard, new cpu (fx4300 or something else in it's price range), and new windows for around $250? is one of these combos significantly better than the other?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 12:27:53 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
hey thanks man, that definitely clears some stuff up for me. pretty straight forward. guess maybe i will keep my eyes open for the 1045t if i see a good deal. but, honest opinion, would this paired with something of the 7850/660 nature be better or worse than if i were to get something like the fx 4300 with compatible mobo(and new windows) and one of the mentioned gpu's? or maybe around the same?



It be realitively worse

fx 4300 is better in games then 965 phenom you wanna go fx 6300 to get your moneys worth futuremark gets the benches a bit wrong sometimes because it says fx 6300 is weaker lol.

so heres another bench

highest phenom vs fx 6300

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/203?vs=699

however it isnt all bad everything you have is practically compatible

only thing youd need to change

os ( do to married to your old board)
( processor)
(motherboard)

ram
dvd
harddrive
gpu
psu
should be all compatible for the moment so if you wanna jump your processor performance first

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2oQeC
id recomend this cheap solution


you could do the upgrades in this order

motherboard /operating system
( use old processor till you have fx 6300 flash bios to latest version to ensure compatibility)
psu upgrade then
followed by graphics card also forgot to mention mantle will enhance the graphics card later.

note harddrive files you wanna keep put on a thumb drive etc



m
0
l
December 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM

ok, how bout this. So, i figure i'll probably go with the fx 6300, new mobo and windows. but, I pulled apart a pc my buddy gave me for parts and found that it has a phenom II x4 940 in it. what i was thinking was, for the time being, buy a motherboard compatible with the fx 6300, just get the mobo and windows for now but, get a mobo that is compatible with both the 6300 and the 940. the 940 is an AM2+ cpu and from what i can tell, there is only one board that supports am3+ and am2+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... is this motherboard ok? also, would i have to update the bios on this board for the fx 6300 as that would be my main goal to just upgrade to that cpu in the very near future. But from what i can see online the 940 is definitely slightly better than what i currently have. am i limiting myself by getting this board? I also really need to keep whatever board i get under 75 bucks if possible. thanks
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2013 12:12:48 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
ok, how bout this. So, i figure i'll probably go with the fx 6300, new mobo and windows. but, I pulled apart a pc my buddy gave me for parts and found that it has a phenom II x4 940 in it. what i was thinking was, for the time being, buy a motherboard compatible with the fx 6300, just get the mobo and windows for now but, get a mobo that is compatible with both the 6300 and the 940. the 940 is an AM2+ cpu and from what i can tell, there is only one board that supports am3+ and am2+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... is this motherboard ok? also, would i have to update the bios on this board for the fx 6300 as that would be my main goal to just upgrade to that cpu in the very near future. But from what i can see online the 940 is definitely slightly better than what i currently have. am i limiting myself by getting this board? I also really need to keep whatever board i get under 75 bucks if possible. thanks


the cons of that particular board are easy 1 theres no way youll occ on that board its to small for occing micro atx will not give you a good benefit in occing that chip plus 2 sockets are for ddr2 memory and you can only use ddr3 or ddr2 not both at same time which leaves you with 2 slots you cant do jack with and you be limiting yourself to 95w dtp which means fx 6300 would be your max

now you have a 840 phenom which is compatible with this board would work and you could continue using the 840 and flash the bios when your ready for fx 6300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2pjyR

youd have to get a new case as well to support the atx board but it will allow you to occ your fx 6300 better this is so you can get as much out of the fx 6300 for longer






m
0
l
December 26, 2013 5:01:46 AM

I see, well, considering that the micro board is only $54, i could get it for the time being and put that phenom 940 in it, which should be a bit better than the 820 that i have now. The ram slots are kind of a bummer. I was just planning on getting 2 4g sticks eventually and use the 6 gigs of ram i have now for the time being, which is 3 sticks of ddr3 and obviously won't work with all 6 gigs in this board. Just how much would my performance suffer if i temporarily went with 4 gigs of ram? I'm just thinking that when i'm ready to get the 6300, i could get the motherboard you mentioned at the same time. and then put my other 2 gigs of ram in so I'm back to 6g until i can upgrade to 8. I know that seems silly to do all of that and plan on just upgrading 2 more gigs later, but my goal is to eventually get 2 pc's out of this. starting with a frankenstein build and then swapping parts around as i upgrade until i can rebuild my current pc again just for a media/facebook pc for the wife. anyway, how bout the micro atx board with 4gigs of ram(temporarily), and the phenom x4 940 until i can get the regular atx board and the 6300. is that ram downgrade going to kill it or would it still be(slightly) better than the current pc that i'm using? Also, i already have a gaming tower that will take micro atx and atx boards and should be just big enough to fit that gtx 660 later on down the road(or something else thats in the same price range by then)
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 5:34:05 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
I see, well, considering that the micro board is only $54, i could get it for the time being and put that phenom 940 in it, which should be a bit better than the 820 that i have now. The ram slots are kind of a bummer. I was just planning on getting 2 4g sticks eventually and use the 6 gigs of ram i have now for the time being, which is 3 sticks of ddr3 and obviously won't work with all 6 gigs in this board. Just how much would my performance suffer if i temporarily went with 4 gigs of ram? I'm just thinking that when i'm ready to get the 6300, i could get the motherboard you mentioned at the same time. and then put my other 2 gigs of ram in so I'm back to 6g until i can upgrade to 8. I know that seems silly to do all of that and plan on just upgrading 2 more gigs later, but my goal is to eventually get 2 pc's out of this. starting with a frankenstein build and then swapping parts around as i upgrade until i can rebuild my current pc again just for a media/facebook pc for the wife. anyway, how bout the micro atx board with 4gigs of ram(temporarily), and the phenom x4 940 until i can get the regular atx board and the 6300. is that ram downgrade going to kill it or would it still be(slightly) better than the current pc that i'm using? Also, i already have a gaming tower that will take micro atx and atx boards and should be just big enough to fit that gtx 660 later on down the road(or something else thats in the same price range by then)



the problem with that idea is it will cost you more everytime you switch boards your going to have to buy a new os unless you buy retail windows 8 which is alot more for price as the builders packs only allow for 1 time install the key only works once.

then why not get the t970 now and stick it in your atx case and just use the 820 and ram the point im making the board you have currently wont occ processors but you will get more performance out the 820 if you occ it slightly just use the cooler you have and buy some mx4 paste to bump it up slightly

also dropping down to the to am2 plus is pointless when the newer am3 can do better instructions per cycle if occed a bit
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 7:30:06 AM

wait, so the board you mentioned will allow for the 820 that have now? i thought that board was only am3+ and the 820 was am2. If that's the case, then yeah, i would go ahead and by windows 8 and the 970 mobo next week and make the switch. also, tell me this, since it looks like i will definitely be getting the mobo you mentioned and the 6300 cpu, and then eventually the gtx 660, what would give the biggest performance increase now, getting the new mobo and over clocking my 820, or getting the gtx 660 now, then when i get my tax return, get the mobo, windows and 6300 later?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 8:45:01 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
wait, so the board you mentioned will allow for the 820 that have now? i thought that board was only am3+ and the 820 was am2. If that's the case, then yeah, i would go ahead and by windows 8 and the 970 mobo next week and make the switch. also, tell me this, since it looks like i will definitely be getting the mobo you mentioned and the 6300 cpu, and then eventually the gtx 660, what would give the biggest performance increase now, getting the new mobo and over clocking my 820, or getting the gtx 660 now, then when i get my tax return, get the mobo, windows and 6300 later?


offically its a am3 processor 820 if careful can be bumped up by a few ghz like 3.3 or 3.4ghz i would consider safe

well youd have to get a new power supply to support the 660 a simple 500w rated corsair cx would be enough but that would be more noticable jump then changing processor

some gaming benches 7770 vs 660
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7770-vs-GeForce-GTX-6...

id do it in this order

psu
gpu
then motherboard then os
then update bios then new processor

Am3 plus supports am3 right out the box

m
0
l
December 26, 2013 8:55:36 AM

cool. that's what i was thinking. although, i know the 660 requires a 450 watt psu, but also the 7770 does too. originally, before purchasing the 7770, i put my pc specs into one of the online power consumption calculators and it basically said that i needed a total of 343 watts. I also made sure to over compensate with the other components just to be safe. figured I'd take a chance and go with it and so far, for about 7 months or so now, it has been running with absolutely no problems. when i do the same thing with the 660 online, it tells me i need 323 watts, which seems like i should still be fine with my current psu. idk, a new psu isn't so bad i guess.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 11:45:11 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
cool. that's what i was thinking. although, i know the 660 requires a 450 watt psu, but also the 7770 does too. originally, before purchasing the 7770, i put my pc specs into one of the online power consumption calculators and it basically said that i needed a total of 343 watts. I also made sure to over compensate with the other components just to be safe. figured I'd take a chance and go with it and so far, for about 7 months or so now, it has been running with absolutely no problems. when i do the same thing with the 660 online, it tells me i need 323 watts, which seems like i should still be fine with my current psu. idk, a new psu isn't so bad i guess.


yes that psu is ok for a 7770 but not a gtx 660 reason

the 7770 has 1 pci connector for power


the gtx 660 needs 2 power connectors which means it draws another 75w-80w more meaning youd be over or barely under the 400w limit and probly blow the unit

also occing will also draw more power about 10 percent more then what your currently drawing

also food for though grab the aftermarket cooler while its cheap so you can keep stable occ temperatures and no overheating issues you

note also buy mx4 paste later on for fx 6300
and Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9 percent to clean cooler and dry it off before attaching it again to new processor.

note you will need a aftermarket cooler to occ the phenom up to 3.5 ghz i have read it can reach stable also make sure before you start occing cool and quiet is turned off or it wont work

temp must stay under the 70c or you risk damaging the chip with aftermarketing cooling should be easy enough

with fx 6300 it has to be under 61c
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 11:59:43 AM

oh, well, why cant i just get a converter that will take one of my extra 4 pin connectors from my psu and turn it into another 6 pin connector since i currently only have one 6 pin on my psu? also, does the online calculator not account for the extra 75w being drawn by the 2nd 6 pin connector?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 12:55:03 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
oh, well, why cant i just get a converter that will take one of my extra 4 pin connectors from my psu and turn it into another 6 pin connector since i currently only have one 6 pin on my psu? also, does the online calculator not account for the extra 75w being drawn by the 2nd 6 pin connector?



1 those connectors should be banned
reason because if it wasnt desiged to take 2 connectors thats like taking a human out the elevator and shoving elephant inside.

2. the online calculator goes by average power draw not by how far they can jump
http://www.hwcompare.com/13304/geforce-gtx-660-vs-radeo...

your old card average about 80w max psu consumption round 150w with the 1 pin
new card averages 140w adding 2 pins allows for a 300w max roof but on average these cards will idle at 100w and jump 180w to 200w while gaming depends on the gaming demands

also the converters would make the psu unstable as it be drawing way to much of the rails

m
0
l
December 26, 2013 3:25:37 PM

ok, did some thinking and realized, its impossible to stay within a budget. lol, i guess im just gonna go ahead and get a new psu and the hd 7870 actually. only little more than the 660. so, with that being said, can you recommend a decent 500w psu for around 50 bucks?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 3:57:13 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
ok, did some thinking and realized, its impossible to stay within a budget. lol, i guess im just gonna go ahead and get a new psu and the hd 7870 actually. only little more than the 660. so, with that being said, can you recommend a decent 500w psu for around 50 bucks?


without rebates theres just a new psu which should be just fine 500w evga

so far evga have been very reliable and there psu is fairly cheap there a step up from coolermaster

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



m
0
l
December 26, 2013 4:37:04 PM

looks good to me. thanks man. I think next friday im gonna order the card and this power supply. and this should be fine for the 7870? and how about overclocking the cpu when i get the 6300? i wont be looking to do anything drastic since ive never overclocked anything and anything i got out of it would be fine with me.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2013 4:52:44 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
looks good to me. thanks man. I think next friday im gonna order the card and this power supply. and this should be fine for the 7870? and how about overclocking the cpu when i get the 6300? i wont be looking to do anything drastic since ive never overclocked anything and anything i got out of it would be fine with me.


you shouldnt need to occ the cpu at all but you should be able to occ the fx 6300 to 4ghz with cool and quiet turned off and turbo mode off since the fx 6300 turbo occs itself to 4ghz this is a safe bet without nuking psu.

7870 should be fine on that psu single cards should work fine on a 500w system just make sure to keep it cool inside your case. as the max temp for full 500w operation is 50c on psu its easy enough to improve airflow near the rear since you have a atx case

pop this in the very bottom of the pci slots on the actual case its powered by a molex from power supply.
this will keep the air round your power supply cool unless your power supply is top mounted then just upgrade the rear cooling fan to

depending on size of fan holes
budget fans

92mm fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

120mm fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ive used these fans before so they work a treat also used the pci slot


m
0
l
December 27, 2013 5:12:54 AM

sweet. well, i cant wait to build this, hell, i cant wait to get that card, that alone will probably be a big improvement. not to mention, as far as battlefield 4 goes, i started running the 32 bit version of the game and now it doesn't do what it was doing before. i can actually play it! cpu stays in the 80% range pretty consistently but never freezes or does any of the other things like running at 100% and I'm running the game with settings mostly on high and ultra, no AA but i am using fxaa on high and in 1920x1080. So the new gpu should be a nice boost overall. Also, the case I'm going to use has a few small fans all around it, can't remember if it has any fans at the back or not. It's an older gaming case. I might go ahead and grab one of these fans just to be safe. The psu is top mounted so i guess i just need to put a good fan on the back? Anyway, by the middle of next month I'll have the new mobo and cpu with new windows. Getting the gpu and psu next week. I know It's not a beast but It'll be a nice rig for me. Thanks for your help man. I'll probably be on here again as i start getting my parts in lol. especially when i go to overclock my cpu.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2013 5:30:51 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
sweet. well, i cant wait to build this, hell, i cant wait to get that card, that alone will probably be a big improvement. not to mention, as far as battlefield 4 goes, i started running the 32 bit version of the game and now it doesn't do what it was doing before. i can actually play it! cpu stays in the 80% range pretty consistently but never freezes or does any of the other things like running at 100% and I'm running the game with settings mostly on high and ultra, no AA but i am using fxaa on high and in 1920x1080. So the new gpu should be a nice boost overall. Also, the case I'm going to use has a few small fans all around it, can't remember if it has any fans at the back or not. It's an older gaming case. I might go ahead and grab one of these fans just to be safe. The psu is top mounted so i guess i just need to put a good fan on the back? Anyway, by the middle of next month I'll have the new mobo and cpu with new windows. Getting the gpu and psu next week. I know It's not a beast but It'll be a nice rig for me. Thanks for your help man. I'll probably be on here again as i start getting my parts in lol. especially when i go to overclock my cpu.


yes all atx cases have 1 rear fan at the back its usually 120mm fan and the sides are usually the same also a good rear fan also helps keeping the cpu cooler temps down as well as it drags the heat away from the heatsink as well so it has 2 benefits since cpu is usually close to rear

whats great about the MSI 970A-G46 is it has a x1 slot before the graphics card this is good as you can install a wifi card without the graphics card covering over it since its above the graphics card thats if you choose to add wifi hell you can put anything in the x1 slot thats supports x1 cards

also with mantle 7870 should blow anything out the water

note do not be fooled by the r9 and r7 cards these are just slightly tweaked cards same as the 7870 reason i go for the 7000 series as the r9 and r7 drivers are in beta and there horrid at present
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 5:55:51 AM

cool, i probably wont worry about wifi too much. i'll check out the fan in the back of the case im gonna use. like i said, its a gaming rig i got from my friend that he had custom ordered a few years back so maybe the fan on the back is pretty decent. also, i forgot to mention, you said i should get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu. I also have one of those from that same case. it was the one with the phenom 940. i cant find the name of it on the actual cooler but it's an amd cooler and it definitely looks aftermarket. much bigger and beefier than my stock cooler with copper tubing and all that fancy stuff. maybe it's a good one. not too sure.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2013 6:32:05 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
cool, i probably wont worry about wifi too much. i'll check out the fan in the back of the case im gonna use. like i said, its a gaming rig i got from my friend that he had custom ordered a few years back so maybe the fan on the back is pretty decent. also, i forgot to mention, you said i should get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu. I also have one of those from that same case. it was the one with the phenom 940. i cant find the name of it on the actual cooler but it's an amd cooler and it definitely looks aftermarket. much bigger and beefier than my stock cooler with copper tubing and all that fancy stuff. maybe it's a good one. not too sure.



Take 3 pictures of it

1 bottom so i can see the heatpipe layout
2 heatsink
3 fan

i know quite alot of the older models it may simply switching the fan for a better one

usually the fans on the aftermarket models are unique in some way so i can find it out usually by the fan itself unless he changed the stock fan lol then it gets a bit harder
plus count the wicks at the top of the heatsink they will look like points
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 6:36:10 AM

i'll snap some photos of it when i get home tonight and post them on here.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2013 6:49:55 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
i'll snap some photos of it when i get home tonight and post them on here.


k sounds good hopefully its a good heatsink lol that way all youd need is to clean it and mx4 paste and then occ lol

also take a few pics of the case i can look that up to see what it takes in fans etc
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 7:28:04 AM

will do. oh, one more question referring to the 970 mobo and the 6300 cpu. when i get these, will i have to update the bios on the new board for the fx cpu to work if that is the first processor that im putting on it? I've always read that a lot of motherboards have to be updated to accept the fx cpu's.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2013 8:59:36 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
will do. oh, one more question referring to the 970 mobo and the 6300 cpu. when i get these, will i have to update the bios on the new board for the fx cpu to work if that is the first processor that im putting on it? I've always read that a lot of motherboards have to be updated to accept the fx cpu's.


It may actually work right out of the box msi are usually pretty good at updating there bios

id install the fx 6300 sometimes even if its the wrong bios it sometimes will boot into the bios and you can just use a usb to flash the bios to correct version

i had the wrong bios for my old fx 8120 yet it still booted.
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 9:01:26 AM

i see, well, can i do it with my current phenom 820? then install the 6300 or do i have to use a flash drive?
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 9:02:49 AM

i see, well, can i do it with my current phenom 820? then install the 6300 or do i have to use a flash drive?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2013 11:08:07 AM

darkhelmet82 said:
i see, well, can i do it with my current phenom 820? then install the 6300 or do i have to use a flash drive?


yes you can stick in the 820 but you will still have to flash the bios with a flash drive thumb stick to get the fx 6300 to work
m
0
l
January 13, 2014 8:33:36 AM

Hey man, thought I'd pop in and give a little update. So, first off, i got the new power supply you recommended and picked me up an hd 7870. The performance increase was out of this world. I can even run battle field 4 on max ultra settings at 60 fps and that's only because i have v-sync on and it's capping at 60. My processor still runs around 80% but I can run the 64 bit version of the game and it never glitches out, yet... Also, i thought that i would add a little something in regards to the original conversations about my motherboard and the supposed compatible processors. Talked with HP and they told me that i can upgrade to any of the processors listed on their website. even though some of them are 125w cpu's, the bios on the mother board is designed to work with those processors. so, i could have in fact upgraded to the 965, however, i'll stick with the plan to get the new motherboard and the fx 6300 at the end of next month, which leads to my next question. since im going to go ahead and for the time being, use the phenom II x4 940BE that i had laying around until next month, i thought i'd look into overclocking. can i do it with this mother board? the reason i ask is because the 940 is already unlocked, so does that mean i could slightly over clock it some, or would the motherboard still not allow it?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 88 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2014 12:43:56 PM

darkhelmet82 said:
Hey man, thought I'd pop in and give a little update. So, first off, i got the new power supply you recommended and picked me up an hd 7870. The performance increase was out of this world. I can even run battle field 4 on max ultra settings at 60 fps and that's only because i have v-sync on and it's capping at 60. My processor still runs around 80% but I can run the 64 bit version of the game and it never glitches out, yet... Also, i thought that i would add a little something in regards to the original conversations about my motherboard and the supposed compatible processors. Talked with HP and they told me that i can upgrade to any of the processors listed on their website. even though some of them are 125w cpu's, the bios on the mother board is designed to work with those processors. so, i could have in fact upgraded to the 965, however, i'll stick with the plan to get the new motherboard and the fx 6300 at the end of next month, which leads to my next question. since im going to go ahead and for the time being, use the phenom II x4 940BE that i had laying around until next month, i thought i'd look into overclocking. can i do it with this mother board? the reason i ask is because the 940 is already unlocked, so does that mean i could slightly over clock it some, or would the motherboard still not allow it?



depends on what your temps are currently while gaming you should focus under 55c if your well under that then mild occ it test max voltage it will take i think is 1.5v max temp it can take a beating is 62c so do not go paste 1.5v id be careful when playing with voltage as some boards wont handle it.

try bumping voltage up a bit and go 3.3ghz

glad so see that the performance jump was worth it
m
0
l
!