Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Optimization Failure?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 20, 2013 8:15:15 AM



So I ordered this pc almost exactly a year ago, it played games great
Skyrim, WoW or Far-Cry all on High or Ultra, but lately it hasn't been doing so hot..
I just did a clean install for Skyrim again because it's getting cold outside..
and I'd rather pretend to be cold than BE COLD..

Seriously though it's choppy, every game runs poorly I've tried my best to optimize
them in their own individual ways but it seems I can't get programs to take advantage of
my PC's resources.

I've ran System Defrag
Ran Full Virus Scan with Norton (came back clean)
Clean the Registry with CC cleaner (I do this often)
DX11 and Nvidia seem to be up to date.
The BIOS seems to be fine I guess (no real knowledge here of this.. lol)
The PC temps seem to be fine, around 40c when I'm just Internet surfing.

*Just ran a sorta test and I can confirm I can run Skyrim, Steam, Nexus Mod Manger
have 4 tabs open on Chrome and have music playing..but still only 18%
usage..* What does this mean? I don't know, Opinions are absolutely welcome.


Windows 8
10GB ram
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
64bit OS x64 Based Processor
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 640
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_124B&SUBSYS_231B1462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 7833 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3000 MB
Shared Memory: 4833 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2711x LED Backlit LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2711
Monitor Id: HWP2942
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3182 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3182

Drive: C: - Hard Drive
Free Space: 1402.9 GB
Total Space: 1886.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST2000DM001-9YN164
a c 159 à CPUs
December 20, 2013 8:32:12 AM

Windows naturally starts losing performance over time. It's not so severe these days, but it's still there. When I was using Windows 98 I would usually format every 6 months just to keep the performance up.

Quote:
*Just ran a sorta test and I can confirm I can run Skyrim, Steam, Nexus Mod Manger
have 4 tabs open on Chrome and have music playing..but still only 18%
usage..* What does this mean? I don't know, Opinions are absolutely welcome.

The 18% is total CPU usage, so that means 82% of the CPU is not doing anything. Skyrim will use 2 cores while you're playing the game, the rest are just memory hogs.

If you are looking into increasing your performance in games etc. I'd suggest upgrading your graphics card. An i7 3770 will never ever in a million years be worked like it should with a Geforce GT 640 sad to say.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2013 8:43:00 AM

bouncedk said:
Windows naturally starts losing performance over time. It's not so severe these days, but it's still there. When I was using Windows 98 I would usually format every 6 months just to keep the performance up.

Quote:
*Just ran a sorta test and I can confirm I can run Skyrim, Steam, Nexus Mod Manger
have 4 tabs open on Chrome and have music playing..but still only 18%
usage..* What does this mean? I don't know, Opinions are absolutely welcome.

The 18% is total CPU usage, so that means 82% of the CPU is not doing anything. Skyrim will use 2 cores while you're playing the game, the rest are just memory hogs.

If you are looking into increasing your performance in games etc. I'd suggest upgrading your graphics card. An i7 3770 will never ever in a million years be worked like it should with a Geforce GT 640 sad to say.


Agreed, look for a GPU upgrade. I personally like EVGA's offerings, you may take a look there for some of the newer GTX 700 offerings: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0

GT 640
• 384 CUDA Cores
• 2GB 128-bit DDR3

vs.

GTX 760
• 1152 CUDA Cores
• 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

Their 760 is their current desktop base line, but even that should give you a nice boost over your 640 card.

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2013 8:52:51 AM

Your GPU is holding you down, you have to get at least a 650 ti boost (gtx x60: 260-460-560-660-760) to have descent FPS with Skyrim @ good resolution.

Skyrim Recommended System Requirements

OS: Windows 7/Vista/XP (32 or 64 bit)
CPU: quad-core Intel/AMD
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 6GB hard disk space
GFX RAM: DX9 video card with 1 GB
GFX: GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
Audio: DX compatible sound card



m
0
l
December 20, 2013 9:34:35 AM

Skyrims Auto-Detect feature puts me on high & the Nvidia Control panel says Elderscrolls Skyrim falls under the "Excellent Performance" Category.. and I said before I had played it once before with no problems around last December when I first got it.. I don't know maybe that's just not the answer I was looking for, certainly the easiest, throw money at it. I was just curious what the more knowledgeable would say about the build, since I did kind of custom build it. (from the site not by hand) The PC lags in any game, take "7 days to die" for example, it works on a voxel based engine exactly like Mine Craft, it's about as GPU intensive as a PS1 game seriously. Once upon a time I went through Far Cry on Ultra.. I guess my graphics card is aware of new & shiny possible replacements that claim great performance. Thanks for your time anyway, Still open to Suggestions! ^_^
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 20, 2013 8:39:49 PM

How were the temps on the card during your ultra runs? May have killed it softly over time?!

As for those new and shiny card...they do offer some stupidly high performance boosts over your 640. Throw a little coin out and you will get a great deal back. You don't need to spend $500+. $200ish and you will be good to go for a while IMO.
Share
December 20, 2013 11:13:53 PM


So I've been chatting with the guys over at the Nvidia forums and I found out some interesting stuffs.

First off they suggested I download this program 3dmark - run the tests and post the results, Take a look at this
gentlemen.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1901693
Please let me know if this link becomes invalid for some reason and I'll post the actual results in list form
though it would be more difficult to comprehend in list form.

Aside from games like Skyrim which is a poor example of optimum performance, I've been trying to run this game "7 Days to Die"

It's requirements are

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Celeron E1500 Dual-Core 2.2GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+
RAM: 2 GB
VGA: Nvidia GeForce GT 330, AMD Radeon HD 3600 Series
OS: Windows XP
DX: DirectX 9
Hard drive: 1.5 GB free space


Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz, AMD Athlon II X2 270
RAM: 4 GB
VGA: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250, AMD Radeon HD 6670
OS: Windows 7
DX: DirectX 10
Hard drive: 1.5 GB

It's rather choppy and non-responsive also, Don't I have over 9,000x what I need to play this?

I will admit I'm not savy when it comes to Nvidia and their GFX card naming so I never
really know which is superior.. but the Geforce GTS 250 is like .. 150 bucks..it can't
be that great..

Now.. I know that my gfx card isn't stellar, but this test is showing that my rig is performing to that of an
Office PC... which insinuates that an Integrated GFX card from intel that costs 10 dollars & a pack of gum would run
better.

BTW I would definitly suggest using this 3d program because its cool. ^_^
m
0
l
December 20, 2013 11:29:51 PM

oOSlushyOo said:
How were the temps on the card during your ultra runs? May have killed it softly over time?!

As for those new and shiny card...they do offer some stupidly high performance boosts over your 640. Throw a little coin out and you will get a great deal back. You don't need to spend $500+. $200ish and you will be good to go for a while IMO.


I ran Skyrim on Ultra in windowed mode (I usually run in fullscreen but for the sake of pushing things to their threshold I believe window hogs more resources) My PC idles at 40c Temp, while I was doing this they barely peaked 57c. So don't think it's because of what you suggested..
m
0
l
!