Will a 620 Watt PSU be enough for a SAPPHIRE R9 280X 3 GB OC ?

Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU cooler and my GPU, but I'm afraid that my PSU won't have enough power to power my whole PC.

I'm planning on upgrading to a SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3 GB DDR3 OC. On Sapphire's site, they mention that you need a 750 Watt PSU for this card. Is this true? Because a lot of people seem to run it with even 500 Watts just fine. I'm a little bit afraid of ruining my other components by having a PSU which is too weak.

My power supply is an Antec High Current Gamer 620 Watts.

Here are the rest of my system specifications:

- CPU: AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6 GHz (Boost to 4.00 GHz) ( Not OC'ed)
- CPU cooler: currently the stock cooler; I will upgrade to a CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo.
- GPU: currently ASUS (Nvidia) GTX 550Ti 1 GB
- Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (1st generation)
- HDD's:
1) Seagate 'Barricuda' 2TB (7200 RPM) (Main Drive)
2) Western Digital 500 GB (Backup Drive)
- 1 Blu-Ray/DVD Writer
- RAM: 8 GB DDR3
- Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
- PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620 Watts

Thank you in advance.

Solution

Why do people do this? If the manufacturer says you need 750 watts why would you try to run it with substantially less? A month from now you will be posting asking why you keep blue screening when you game and 6 months from now you will be posting asking why your card died.

In any event to answer your question about load, that card comes from the manufacturer overvolted and hence it draws around 250 watts under load. Your CPU draws 250 watts under load (both of these assume no overclock at all). Thats 500 watts there...
Mar 16, 2013

Thank you for the reply. Can you also tell me what my average power consumption will be? I have used Xtreme's PSU calculator before, but I don't know if those results are accurate.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Why do people do this? If the manufacturer says you need 750 watts why would you try to run it with substantially less? A month from now you will be posting asking why you keep blue screening when you game and 6 months from now you will be posting asking why your card died.

In any event to answer your question about load, that card comes from the manufacturer overvolted and hence it draws around 250 watts under load. Your CPU draws 250 watts under load (both of these assume no overclock at all). Thats 500 watts there. Your PSU sucks; it says 620 watts but it is only putting out 576 on the 12 volt rail ( and most of the reviews of that PSU indicate it actually puts out around 520ish).

So in short, it will work in that yes it will turn on and everything. It will almost certainly give you problems somewhere down the road though.

Solution
Mar 16, 2013

Ok, thank you for the reply. Then I maybe have to upgrade my power supply as well. Which power supply would you recommend? I still want to have some headroom, just in case.

Sorry for the overload of questions