Solved

new pc build boots but wont show display

my friend just finished plugging everything up and hooked it up to his tv via hdmi, everything boots on and all the fans spin but just no display, and the dvd drive will not open either, he tried the pinhole and it just slid all the way in without hitting anything to force it open. it was a deal from newegg for a discount and it came with all the parts needed. any ideas. i found a video with what is happening to him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0QF6WiMSg
30 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build boots wont show display
  1. If you're 100% sure everything is plugged in correctly and there are no faulty parts yet your monitor/tv doesn't get any signal from the computer. Remove your RAM sticks and place them on the two different slots.
  2. HeyyScott said:
    If you're 100% sure everything is plugged in correctly and there are no faulty parts yet your monitor/tv doesn't get any signal from the computer. Remove your RAM sticks and place them on the two different slots.


    he took one ram stick out and moved the ram stick that was still left in there to a slot he has not used yet. when he switches to hdmi 2 which is what his pc is connected to, it says connecting for a few seconds and then says no signal
  3. gokitty199 said:
    HeyyScott said:
    If you're 100% sure everything is plugged in correctly and there are no faulty parts yet your monitor/tv doesn't get any signal from the computer. Remove your RAM sticks and place them on the two different slots.


    he took one ram stick out and moved the ram stick that was still left in there to a slot he has not used yet. when he switches to hdmi 2 which is what his pc is connected to, it says connecting for a few seconds and then says no signal


    Do you have 4 ram slots? And did you remove both ram and place them in the two different slot?
    Example. (Assuming you have 4 slots)
    Your original ram placement.
    1 2 3 4
    [l] [] [l] []

    Change to

    1 2 3 4
    [] [l] [] [l]
  4. Perform all the steps from this checklist. It was created to troubleshoot this type of problem.
    "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist
    "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklistThis checklist is a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to effectively... Read More
  5. Can you hear it post?

    Two surprising common problems are:

    1) forgetting to plug in the CPU power connector

    2) the system has a graphics card and integrated GPU and the monitor is plugged into the wrong output or the system is outputting to the wrong port.
  6. I tried the ram stick thing and that didn't work. I'm not sure of this problem at all I don't know if I broke something or what.
  7. Could it be my graphcis card is not installed right? I'm just completly confused right now.
  8. Try with only 1 stick.
  9. HeyyScott said:
    Try with only 1 stick.


    I tried with one and 2 and neither worked. Could it be my GPU?
  10. I'm with the user FALCON, I have had a similar situation where I plugged the HDMI cable into the moherboard's integrated graphics as opposed to the graphics card. Sounds stupid but make sure the HDMI is actually plugged into the graphics card. The CD drive may be coincidental.
  11. jlee14 said:
    I'm with the user FALCON, I have had a similar situation where I plugged the HDMI cable into the moherboard's integrated graphics as opposed to the graphics card. Sounds stupid but make sure the HDMI is actually plugged into the graphics card. The CD drive may be coincidental.


    It is plugged into graphics card but nothing shows on screen.
  12. OrganicFrown said:
    jlee14 said:
    I'm with the user FALCON, I have had a similar situation where I plugged the HDMI cable into the moherboard's integrated graphics as opposed to the graphics card. Sounds stupid but make sure the HDMI is actually plugged into the graphics card. The CD drive may be coincidental.


    It is plugged into graphics card but nothing shows on screen.


    If it also has integrated graphics, there will be another HDMI port for that on the board. Plug the monitor into that and see what happens. If you get display, then the PC is using the integrated GPU instead of the card.

    This all assumes the system is posting. Is it?
  13. FALC0N said:
    OrganicFrown said:
    jlee14 said:
    I'm with the user FALCON, I have had a similar situation where I plugged the HDMI cable into the moherboard's integrated graphics as opposed to the graphics card. Sounds stupid but make sure the HDMI is actually plugged into the graphics card. The CD drive may be coincidental.


    It is plugged into graphics card but nothing shows on screen.


    If it also has integrated graphics, there will be another HDMI port for that on the board. Plug the monitor into that and see what happens. If you get display, then the PC is using the integrated GPU instead of the card.

    This all assumes the system is posting. Is it?


    this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by posting
  14. After it turns on, you should a hear a beep. Right around the time you would normally see the motherboard splash screen/memory and other checks. If no beep, unlikely its the aforementioned gpu issue. Could still be cpu power though.
  15. Where is the intergrated located graphics card be located? Sorry for asking a lot of dumb questions?
  16. FALC0N said:
    After it turns on, you should a hear a beep. Right around the time you would normally see the motherboard splash screen/memory and other checks. If no beep, unlikely its the aforementioned gpu issue. Could still be cpu power though.


    What is supposed to beep? I don't have speakers or anything hooked up yet?
  17. The board will beep without speakers.
  18. If all you hear is fans, and no beep, its not posting.
  19. I don't hear any beeps is that bad?
  20. just fans, no beeps.
  21. Yes and no. It means its not the gpu issue we were discussing. CPU would cause it not to post. So would other issues. Is the 4/8 pin cpu power connector plugged into the mb?
  22. OrganicFrown said:
    I don't hear any beeps is that bad?


    Basically it means World War III is about to happen.
  23. FALC0N said:
    Yes and no. It means its not the gpu issue we were discussing. CPU would cause it not to post. So would other issues. Is the 4/8 pin cpu power connector plugged into the mb?


    yes the 8 pin connector is plugged in
  24. Also now the cd drive opens when I press the button twice but it closes right after it opens?
  25. You have to disconnect it and blow into the dvd drive. Sometimes it's a little dusty.
  26. If its not one of the two simple ones, somebody posted a link to the troubleshooting thread earlier. That's should help you figure it out. A few things it could be.
  27. FALC0N said:
    If its not one of the two simple ones, somebody posted a link to the troubleshooting thread earlier. That's should help you figure it out. A few things it could be.


    Well, when I was putting my cpu cooler on the motherboard I palced it wrong so I picked it back up and the cpu got stuck on the cpu cooler then I ended up having to ply it off but it fell on its back, it didn't seem any of the gold peices where broke but i'm not sure?
  28. motherboard is a ga 990fxa ud3, does not have onboard graphics for the cpu and does not have a integrated gpu,
    cpu is a amd fx 8350
    gpu is a sapphire 7870 i think its overclocked from the factory
    power supply is a baswill 700W
    from what i saw the motherboard does not have any wires behind it touching it or any standoffs touching the motherboard in unessasary places. the only thing i can think of is that the graphics card has a large metal peice that touches the motherboard he said when he put it in.
  29. well I apreciate the help everyone turns out 5 of the cpu pins bent ordered a replacement.
  30. Best answer
    wow such a long thread everyone remember always send them though the sticky to start with for no boot issues could have saved everyone a lot of time.

    good job short stuff for trying to do just that
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Graphics Displays