Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Extremely low performance GTX 760

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 21, 2013 9:11:12 AM

Hey there :) 
I'll make it quick: my performance in most games is extremely crappy.
I upgraded my cpu to a fx 6300 from an i3 3225, and I bought a new PSU.
Now I think the problem is my HDD, which is second handed.
(its the Hitachi Deskstar 500GB HDT725050VLA360)
Anyone with a reasonable fix, will be rewarded!

- Paul
December 21, 2013 9:17:52 AM

what are your full specifications?
what do you mean by crappy performance? in which games?
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 9:24:22 AM

de5_Roy said:
what are your full specifications?
what do you mean by crappy performance? in which games?


By crappy performance I mean 50 fps on saints row 3 on lowest settings in 720p.
Full specs:

FX 6300
M5A97 R2.0
GTX 760
Recom ProE-A600 PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB HDT725050VLA360

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 21, 2013 9:40:37 AM

chimpbagel said:
de5_Roy said:
what are your full specifications?
what do you mean by crappy performance? in which games?


By crappy performance I mean 50 fps on saints row 3 on lowest settings in 720p.
Full specs:

FX 6300
M5A97 R2.0
GTX 760
Recom ProE-A600 PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB HDT725050VLA360



I know it sounds stupid but make sure its plugged in correctly to the psu and mobo and make sure the monitor is plugged into the 760 and not the mobo.
Check if it is overheating also.
Share
December 21, 2013 9:44:48 AM

I know what i'm doing,
And it isn't overheating at all.
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 9:55:45 AM

your power supply's oem seems to be andyson, who have a mixed reputation. that aside, you didn't post full specs, like ram, case, cooling, o.s. etc.
does only saint's row 3 show such performance or does it happen to other or very game? issues in one game can be attributed to software such as drivers, o.s. update, anti-malware softwares intefering etc. although, why would you play sr 3 at 720p with a gtx760 in the first place?
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 9:59:29 AM

de5_Roy said:
your power supply's oem seems to be andyson, who have a mixed reputation. that aside, you didn't post full specs, like ram, case, cooling, o.s. etc.
does only saint's row 3 show such performance or does it happen to other or very game? issues in one game can be attributed to software such as drivers, o.s. update, anti-malware softwares intefering etc. although, why would you play sr 3 at 720p with a gtx760 in the first place?


4GB of 1600Mhz Kingston ram.
I have nothing on my pc except drivers and games.
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 12:14:28 PM

That is the first problem, you should have Antivirus running all the time, else it will get infects 'just being connected' to the Internet (you don't even need to download anything). Go to www.filehippo.com and download, install and do a full scan with AVAST! or AVG. Then download and run Malwarebytes.

Once you have that installed and run FULL SCANS, let us know the results.
Next would be other suspects:

1) Did you use can air to blow out all the dust bunnies, use a paint brush to clean off the vents and fans, on the CPU, GPU and PSU?
2) Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the results here, there is included your IDLE temps for your CPU and GPU what are they?
3) Install and run MSI Afterburner, set saint's row to normal 1080p and what are your temps / FPS?
4) Your saying you swapped from INTEL to AMD. Did you do a full CLEAN reinstall of Windows?
If not you may have crud, to avoid reinstalling Windows try this;
A) Uninstall all AMD and INTEL in program and features
B) Download and run Driver Sweeper and really remove all AMD and INTEL, then REBOOT
C) go to Intel support and run a scan for drivers, then go to AMD and reinstall all drivers
D) Download and run Slim Drivers to make sure all drivers are installed
E) Install all Windows Updates including optional (except Bing Bar).

Sidenote: Computers are NOT like consoles, you can't just have the computer 'run' and add games and that is it. They are like cars, you can't just add gas and that is it, they need to be maintained to keep performing correctly, check the air pressure, change the oil, get a tune up, etc. Same for PCs, as you can see by the 'basic steps' are very detailed and lengthy.
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 2:21:14 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
That is the first problem, you should have Antivirus running all the time, else it will get infects 'just being connected' to the Internet (you don't even need to download anything). Go to www.filehippo.com and download, install and do a full scan with AVAST! or AVG. Then download and run Malwarebytes.

Once you have that installed and run FULL SCANS, let us know the results.
Next would be other suspects:

1) Did you use can air to blow out all the dust bunnies, use a paint brush to clean off the vents and fans, on the CPU, GPU and PSU?
2) Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the results here, there is included your IDLE temps for your CPU and GPU what are they?
3) Install and run MSI Afterburner, set saint's row to normal 1080p and what are your temps / FPS?
4) Your saying you swapped from INTEL to AMD. Did you do a full CLEAN reinstall of Windows?
If not you may have crud, to avoid reinstalling Windows try this;
A) Uninstall all AMD and INTEL in program and features
B) Download and run Driver Sweeper and really remove all AMD and INTEL, then REBOOT
C) go to Intel support and run a scan for drivers, then go to AMD and reinstall all drivers
D) Download and run Slim Drivers to make sure all drivers are installed
E) Install all Windows Updates including optional (except Bing Bar).

Sidenote: Computers are NOT like consoles, you can't just have the computer 'run' and add games and that is it. They are like cars, you can't just add gas and that is it, they need to be maintained to keep performing correctly, check the air pressure, change the oil, get a tune up, etc. Same for PCs, as you can see by the 'basic steps' are very detailed and lengthy.


My monitor is only 1080p.
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 9:30:23 AM

No it shouldn't be (you can list it and we can look it up), all Monitors have VARIOUS settings you can use it at, 1080p would be the max. A Example you can do is right click the desktop select screen resolutions, and you see the Resolution entry with the drop down, there is all the video you should be able to set it to. So for example in Saints Row, you could also go under options and try a 'lower resolution'.

You didn't respond to any of the steps I outlined (common steps for PCs). If this is all too technical, then I suggest either A) taking the system to a IT Shop and have them do all this 2) Sell off the computer and instead get a console, a lot less headaches and ALOT LESS maintence (those steps are just the tip of the iceberg).

m
0
l
December 26, 2013 11:21:59 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
No it shouldn't be (you can list it and we can look it up), all Monitors have VARIOUS settings you can use it at, 1080p would be the max. A Example you can do is right click the desktop select screen resolutions, and you see the Resolution entry with the drop down, there is all the video you should be able to set it to. So for example in Saints Row, you could also go under options and try a 'lower resolution'.

You didn't respond to any of the steps I outlined (common steps for PCs). If this is all too technical, then I suggest either A) taking the system to a IT Shop and have them do all this 2) Sell off the computer and instead get a console, a lot less headaches and ALOT LESS maintence (those steps are just the tip of the iceberg).



I ment my monitor is 720p only @_@
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 3:49:00 PM

Again, unless it is a TV, any monitor can do any number of displays, as I pointed out. Did you do as I suggested following those steps? If your Monitor is 'not' detected (the DISPLAY shows GENERIC) then it is just a matter of adding the other settings.

At this point though your answers back sound like this is all confusing and as I suggested then:

"A) taking the system to a IT Shop and have them do all this 2) Sell off the computer and instead get a console, a lot less headaches and ALOT LESS maintence (those steps are just the tip of the iceberg). "
m
0
l
!