Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I5 750 vs I3 4340

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 21, 2013 10:50:39 AM

Hey guys,

I have an older I5 750 and I am doing some upgrades. I'm getting the R9 270X and I think I should upgrade my CPU, however I am not sure. Should I keep my older I5 750 which is a quad core and possibly OC it or should I just buy a new i3 4340. Please Respond ASAP.

Thanks :) 

More about : 750 4340

a c 83 à CPUs
December 21, 2013 11:07:59 AM

what are your pc's full configuration (specs)?
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 11:22:01 AM

de5_Roy said:
what are your pc's full configuration (specs)?

My PC right now isn't to good but here it is:
CPU- I5 750
Motherboard- GA-P55M-UD2
RAM- 8gb
GPU- GT 520 (upgrading to a r7 260x or gtx 650ti or 7850)
PSU-CX600
Case-Elite341 (gonna upgrade to a n200)

Ty
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
December 21, 2013 11:28:26 AM

i'd suggest getting a radeon hd 7850 or radeon r9 270/270x whichever is cheaper, see how it performs. core i3(despite being latest gen) is not only a downgrade from a core i5, it'll require a new motherboard also.
overclocking the 750 is also an option, if possible. you'd need a 3rd party cpu cooler if you're currently using a stock cooler (you didn't mention your cooling type).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2013 11:31:09 AM

the i5 750 benchmark is 3742 and the i3 4340 is 5117 but you'll need to take in the cost of new mobo. Even with OC the i5 750 will be near the i3 4340.
m
0
l
December 21, 2013 11:44:36 AM

Goodeggray said:
the i5 750 benchmark is 3742 and the i3 4340 is 5117 but you'll need to take in the cost of new mobo. Even with OC the i5 750 will be near the i3 4340.
I already know about the Mobo and have one that I have factored into my budget. Do you think I should get the I3 or just OC my 750

m
0
l
December 21, 2013 11:46:50 AM

de5_Roy said:
i'd suggest getting a radeon hd 7850 or radeon r9 270/270x whichever is cheaper, see how it performs. core i3(despite being latest gen) is not only a downgrade from a core i5, it'll require a new motherboard also.
overclocking the 750 is also an option, if possible. you'd need a 3rd party cpu cooler if you're currently using a stock cooler (you didn't mention your cooling type).
I am using the stock cpu cooler but i can get a aftermarket one. Should i get a 4340 and new mobo or for the same price OC my 750 which is much older and is losing support with a aftermarket cpu cooler TY

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 83 à CPUs
December 21, 2013 12:00:12 PM

xTriniman said:
I am using the stock cpu cooler but i can get a aftermarket one. Should i get a 4340 and new mobo or for the same price OC my 750 which is much older and is losing support with a aftermarket cpu cooler TY

before o.c., try getting the gfx card first, and see if it's performance is inhibited by the core i5 750. if the card performs satisfactorily, why spend on core i3 and new mobo? imo a proper upgrade from a core i5 750 would be a core i5 4670k or a 4770k... although i don't know if you'd find any noticeable improvement.
Share
!