Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel Burn Test Question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 21, 2013 3:35:55 PM

Hi everyone, i recently overclocked my 4930k to 4.5 ghz, i was wondering if 10 passes on max is good enough to see if its stable.
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
December 21, 2013 3:47:30 PM

10 passes on IBT is a good indicator of stability but not the best indicator. IBT really stresses the CPU's floating point execution units (both scalar and vector as available) and really tests the system for thermal stability, but doesn't stress the entire chip uniformly as well as other benchmarks. My rule of thumb is 10 passes on Very High (max takes too long) using IBT + 12 hours of Prime95 = stable OC.

Best solution

December 21, 2013 3:59:18 PM
Share

Do you have speedstep turned on? I've got a 4930K at 4.5Ghz @1.32V which runs stable with prime and IBT, but NOTHING I can do outside of those synthetic torture tests cause my cpu to run at 4.5GHz. Running the most demanding games, my cpu will stay pegged at 3.4GHz.

I don't do video rendering or editing, perhaps something along those lines would cause my CPU to go up to 4.5GHz. I do a lot of development, and gaming. I've got an overclocked GTX 780. Kind of makes me feel like my OC is a waste.
Related resources
December 21, 2013 4:22:30 PM

Jaime3d said:
Do you have speedstep turned on? I've got a 4930K at 4.5Ghz @1.32V which runs stable with prime and IBT, but NOTHING I can do outside of those synthetic torture tests cause my cpu to run at 4.5GHz. Running the most demanding games, my cpu will stay pegged at 3.4GHz.

I don't do video rendering or editing, perhaps something along those lines would cause my CPU to go up to 4.5GHz. I do a lot of development, and gaming. I've got an overclocked GTX 780. Kind of makes me feel like my OC is a waste.


Accedently made this the solution but, I have speed step off since i want it running at 4.5ghz all the time, and i have my voltage at 1.315 in the bios.Also my tempts during Intel Burn Test at max was 67c,btw do you think its possible to get to 5ghz with a reasonable temp?

a b K Overclocking
December 21, 2013 6:33:14 PM

from what ive read IBT is great for testing temps and causing massive voltage flucuations(vdrop and vdroop). ive had/seen overclocks pass 12 hours of small fft prime and immediately bsod from ibt max stress. also the other way around. personally i think ibt max is a great starting point for dialing out voltages and then moving on to 10-20min prime... then a full overnight run(12hours give or take) of prime.
December 21, 2013 8:13:11 PM

67 seems kinda of high for that voltage. What cooler are you using? I've got an H110 and with fans maxed and IBT/Prime running I get around 57C.

HOWEVER, if you are stable from what I've read, 4.5GHz@1.315V is pretty good. You might be able to hit that 4.8GHz-5GHz spot with a good cooler - but I think with the one you've got that is questionable.
December 22, 2013 5:27:41 AM

Jaime3d said:
67 seems kinda of high for that voltage. What cooler are you using? I've got an H110 and with fans maxed and IBT/Prime running I get around 57C.

HOWEVER, if you are stable from what I've read, 4.5GHz@1.315V is pretty good. You might be able to hit that 4.8GHz-5GHz spot with a good cooler - but I think with the one you've got that is questionable.



I will list my components, also i cant get past 4.5ghz no matter how high I put the voltage.

CPU:Intel 4930k@4.5ghz 1.32 volts (i had to go to that because in cpuz it said it was using that much and it wasnt compleatly stable before)
CPU Heatsink:Corsair H100i
CASE:Corsair 750d
GPU:Zotac GTX 780
PSU:Corsair HX1050
MOBO:Asus P9X79 LE
RAM:Corsair Vengence 16gb 8 x 2 1600mz
Operating system:Windows 8.1

December 22, 2013 7:25:31 AM

Ah, so you were a little unstable at that speed and voltage. Your build and OC is very similar to mine (listed below), only I enabled speedstep. What voltage did you end up going to? I intended to go higher with mine, but when I realized that nothing I could do in the OS would cause my CPU to jump to that speed I figured it wasn't worth it. Plus running a higher voltage can decrease the life of the CPU. I still need to run a few benchmarks and see if I get any extra FPS with the cpu overclock, my guess is it won't make much of a difference.

Anyway, this video helped me out quite a bit, if you haven't seen it you may want to take a look. It goes into quite a bit of detail and it might help you get higher than 4.5GHz. It is for Sandy Bridge E, but it's still X79 and mostly all relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I

CPU: Intel i7 4930k @ 4.5GHz, 1.32V
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
Case: CM Storm Sniper
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 superclocked, with ACX Cooler
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000W
MB: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: GSkill Trident 32GB, 8X4 2133MHz CL9
OS: Windows 7
December 22, 2013 7:37:00 AM

Jaime3d said:
Ah, so you were a little unstable at that speed and voltage. Your build and OC is very similar to mine (listed below), only I enabled speedstep. What voltage did you end up going to? I intended to go higher with mine, but when I realized that nothing I could do in the OS would cause my CPU to jump to that speed I figured it wasn't worth it. Plus running a higher voltage can decrease the life of the CPU. I still need to run a few benchmarks and see if I get any extra FPS with the cpu overclock, my guess is it won't make much of a difference.

Anyway, this video helped me out quite a bit, if you haven't seen it you may want to take a look. It goes into quite a bit of detail and it might help you get higher than 4.5GHz. It is for Sandy Bridge E, but it's still X79 and mostly all relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I

CPU: Intel i7 4930k @ 4.5GHz, 1.32V
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
Case: CM Storm Sniper
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 superclocked, with ACX Cooler
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000W
MB: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: GSkill Trident 32GB, 8X4 2133MHz CL9
OS: Windows 7


It also seems alot of people have a problem breaking the 4.5ghz wall, and apearently there is a bios update which i will try.Also it seems that i need 1.48+ for 4.8ghz
!