8350 and HYPER 212 EVO hitting 80 C fan speed doesnt change?

jwood90

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Title says it all. I just installed a hyper 212 evo on my amd 8350. MB is a 990FX R2. I have changed every setting in the BIOS, have played with Thermal radar, and speed fan to try to get this fan to adjust accordingly under load. It idles cool. around 30C, RPM about 550-600. But once I get into a game. after about 20 minutes my cpu is hitting 70 and some times 80 C and the fan wont change speed. I was better off with the noisy stock fan!

Anyone have a similar issue? Or an answer of why this is happening? ive been doing a ton of research and no one seems to have had quite this problem

Solution
Sounds like you got the fan plugged into the wrong fan header (happens sometimes, especially a nice motherboard like that, you probably have 6-7 to choose from). The Hyper 212 units are great pieces, the Evo comes with a better fan than the older Plus model did.

I'd check the connection first, and then look through your software settings. You might have a bad configuration causing the fan to not spin up.

All else fails, plug the fan into one of the chassis fan plugs or to a spare molex connector through an adapter. Loud and cool is better than quiet and burning up.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Get a PWM fan. I really like the Noctua's.
Make sure the fan profile has the fan turning at 100% by 70degC (if that is your particular concern)
Make sure the fan is connected to the CPU fan header.
If you have a CPU_OPT (second CPU fan) header, you could mount a second fan on the radiator to really get the air flowing through.
Make sure that you have really good airflow in the case.

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Sounds like you got the fan plugged into the wrong fan header (happens sometimes, especially a nice motherboard like that, you probably have 6-7 to choose from). The Hyper 212 units are great pieces, the Evo comes with a better fan than the older Plus model did.

I'd check the connection first, and then look through your software settings. You might have a bad configuration causing the fan to not spin up.

All else fails, plug the fan into one of the chassis fan plugs or to a spare molex connector through an adapter. Loud and cool is better than quiet and burning up.

Solution

jwood90

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
my main concern here is why the fan doesn't increase in speed as it gets hotter. through thermal radar, I have it set so the fan is at 100% at 60C, im running prime95 right now and its already at 60C. fan speed hasn't changed. fan is connected to the cpu fan header. so I don't understand...

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
If I run HW monitor, (google it) I can see fan speed (RPM) and fan power (PWM). PWM is usually measured in percentage of full power. You should see it increase as temp goes up, that's the motherboard calling for more fan speed.

jwood90

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I ran HW monitor and prime95 to load it up. there is 0% PWM on all fans under the fans PWM category. in thermal radar I have it set so at 60C fan should be at 100%. and its at 60C now not changing.

jwood90

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
im starting to think its the fan. I plugged the evo fan into a CHA head and it still stayed at 500-600 rpm. but when I plug my case fan back into that spot it goes up to 1100.

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Try plugging the fan into one of the chassis fan connectors. I want to see if given 12V, that fan will spin faster. I think on your motherboard you should have one on the right side next to the USB 3.0 header and another in the top-right corner. Also try closing and reopening the thermal radar program, wouldn't be the first time I've seen ASUS software not work.

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
You may be on to something, check the CPU fan. Make sure it didn't get some sort of packaging or dust pinched in it. If you plug the case fan into the CPU fan header does it spin faster with temp?