Solved

First-timer looking for opinions on a gaming build

Hi all

I'd really appreciate some feedback/help with this build as I'm new to all of this. I have a basic understanding of what each part is for but little to no knowledge about which parts are most appropriate.

My criteria is: - £500 approx - Mid-range gaming PC capable of playing modern games smoothly (BF4, etc.) - I don't need to run anything at 1080p - I don't intend to over clock or really push it to the max. - The ability to upgrade in the future without having to re-buy other parts

Does this build seem adequate for that?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2oHxd

A few questions:
Are there any areas in which I can save money?
Are there any parts that can be upgraded to improve performance (games and day to day use) without going over budget?
Given that I don't intend to store a lot of games at any one time and that I have an external hard drive for files, would I be better off doing away with the HDD and only having an SSD? And if so, can you recommend a good, inexpensive one?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about timer opinions gaming build
  1. thebigdipper said:
    Hi all

    I'd really appreciate some feedback/help with this build as I'm new to all of this. I have a basic understanding of what each part is for but little to no knowledge about which parts are most appropriate.

    My criteria is: - £500 approx - Mid-range gaming PC capable of playing modern games smoothly (BF4, etc.) - I don't need to run anything at 1080p - I don't intend to over clock or really push it to the max. - The ability to upgrade in the future without having to re-buy other parts

    Does this build seem adequate for that?

    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2oHxd

    A few questions:
    Are there any areas in which I can save money?
    Are there any parts that can be upgraded to improve performance (games and day to day use) without going over budget?
    Given that I don't intend to store a lot of games at any one time and that I have an external hard drive for files, would I be better off doing away with the HDD and only having an SSD? And if so, can you recommend a good, inexpensive one?

    Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.


    check toms graphics charts ....also if you can get a caviar 'BLACK' hd -- they're faster and your programs will load faster
  2. ^ WD black isnt faster, it is just an expensive hdd with longer warranty. no offense

    it is a revision of your build, with better price/performance parts selection
    mobo and 212 evo is for OC, you can get free 10-20% performance boost
    7870 GHZ is cheaper and it is THE SAME card as 270X

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£82.79 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£67.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.62 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.99 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£123.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £490.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 15:11 GMT+0000)
  3. AMD Radeon has edited your build nicely.The only place you may have an issue with is the case.And that's because cases are subjective.Other than that,his build is perfect for your budget. Good catch on that 7870.
  4. AMD Radeon said:
    ^ WD black isnt faster, it is just an expensive hdd with longer warranty. no offense

    it is a revision of your build, with better price/performance parts selection
    mobo and 212 evo is for OC, you can get free 10-20% performance boost
    7870 GHZ is cheaper and it is THE SAME card as 270X

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£82.79 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£67.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.62 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.99 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£123.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £490.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 15:11 GMT+0000)


    huhunnnnn http://www.overclock.net/t/1234532/caviar-black-vs-caviar-blue/10
  5. I'm not refuting the data in the link but a WD black is not a necessity for a builder with a budget.It's nice to have,but given his budget and his parts...
  6. AMD Radeon said:
    ^ WD black isnt faster, it is just an expensive hdd with longer warranty. no offense

    it is a revision of your build, with better price/performance parts selection
    mobo and 212 evo is for OC, you can get free 10-20% performance boost
    7870 GHZ is cheaper and it is THE SAME card as 270X

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£82.79 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£67.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.62 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.99 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card (£123.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £490.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-23 15:11 GMT+0000)


    That graphics card is a huge saving, I can't thank you enough for your help. I've also changed the memory.

    I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind helping me understand...

    Regarding the motherboard, you mentioned overclocking - and fair enough, having the option down the line is preferable - but I've looked at the spec on the website and both appear to be identical. What was your reasoning for changing it?

    And the same question for the PSU - is it just the extra 50W you recommend or is there another reason?

    Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
  7. Best answer
    Regarding the motherboard, you mentioned overclocking - and fair enough, having the option down the line is preferable - but I've looked at the spec on the website and both appear to be identical. What was your reasoning for changing it?
    -----------------
    asus mobo i listed above is proven for OC, our forum's favorite amd 970 mobo, while MSI's G43 is a basic mobo without OC ability


    And the same question for the PSU - is it just the extra 50W you recommend or is there another reason?
    ------------------
    XFX is tier A in quality made by seasonic, while EVGA is an underdog in PSU business

    if you find it helpful, please select as Solution
  8. navask01 said:
    I'm not refuting the data in the link but a WD black is not a necessity for a builder with a budget.It's nice to have,but given his budget and his parts...


    ahh --- cheap online -- roughly same price as blue
  9. navask01 said:
    AMD Radeon has edited your build nicely.The only place you may have an issue with is the case.And that's because cases are subjective.Other than that,his build is perfect for your budget. Good catch on that 7870.


    AMD Radeon said:
    Regarding the motherboard, you mentioned overclocking - and fair enough, having the option down the line is preferable - but I've looked at the spec on the website and both appear to be identical. What was your reasoning for changing it?
    -----------------
    asus mobo i listed above is proven for OC, our forum's favorite amd 970 mobo, while MSI's G43 is a basic mobo without OC ability


    And the same question for the PSU - is it just the extra 50W you recommend or is there another reason?
    ------------------
    XFX is tier A in quality made by seasonic, while EVGA is an underdog in PSU business

    if you find it helpful, please select as Solution


    Thank you for your help.

    And thanks to everyone else for contributing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Games Build Systems