Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Testbench PC turns off after 10 seconds?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 11:38:21 AM

My bro is worried...So we set up a test bench for his new parts and we didnt put the CPU cooler (stock amd) JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS because it was on for less than 30 seconds total. So, It has no power button so I got a screw driver and shorted the pwr btn thing. And it went on, but after a few seconds the PSU and GPU fanns stopped meaning it turned off. Is this normal for a short way of turning it on? Or should it stay on? OH AND ONE MORE THING, the GPU didnt fit Right at first but than when it went in, it worked. The CPU has no intergrated gpu so if the GPU unplugs a bit than the whole thing turns off right?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a c 283 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 23, 2013 11:50:04 AM

According to THE HEATSINK GUIDE
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm
If you attempt to operate a CPU without heatsink at all, recent AMD CPUs will usually be permanently damaged within seconds, unless special protection circuitry is available on the motherboard. P4 CPUs will run excessively slow without cooler.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 11:53:32 AM

Calvin7 said:
According to THE HEATSINK GUIDE
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm
If you attempt to operate a CPU without heatsink at all, recent AMD CPUs will usually be permanently damaged within seconds, unless special protection circuitry is available on the motherboard. P4 CPUs will run excessively slow without cooler.


it was just tiny tiny warm. It wasnt even on for 20 seconds. It wasnt hot at all. I did the same with MY CPU and it works. And we tried again and it still worked...so?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 11:55:40 AM

Calvin7 said:
According to THE HEATSINK GUIDE
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm
If you attempt to operate a CPU without heatsink at all, recent AMD CPUs will usually be permanently damaged within seconds, unless special protection circuitry is available on the motherboard. P4 CPUs will run excessively slow without cooler.


we just tested to make sure that if the CPU and everything turns on and not to even USE it. TOTAL ON TIME WAS probably 10-15 seconds. And that was 2 times put together..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 23, 2013 12:24:29 PM

CPU's get very hot very fast.

If you are lucky, the MB shut down because of a CPU fan fault and did so before any damage.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 12:28:37 PM

Z1NONLY said:
CPU's get very hot very fast.

If you are lucky, the MB shut down because of a CPU fan fault and did so before any damage.

Yes but We turned it on the "shorting " Way with a screw driver so i dont think it should stay on. I didnt get hot, it got Warm. But again, We turned it on twice so im sure everything is all good. AND as for me, my 4670k, turned it on for NO MORE than 5 seconds (my mobo is high end and has a power button on it) So mine is 100% fine right?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 12:33:26 PM

Im sure it turned off cause it didnt detect a CPU fan power :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 78 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 23, 2013 1:16:17 PM

The power switch is either momentary or latched. (I think they are all momentary)

If the motherboard is expecting a latching power switch(button) then it should die (turn off) the instant you remove your screw driver.


If the mother board expects a momentary switch, then it should power on with a momentary "short" and then stay on forever. (And not turn off after you remove the short)

Since neither of these happened, I don't think the motherboard knew or cared that you used a screw driver to turn it off. It most likley turned off due to a fault. (Hopefully a CPU fan fault)
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2013 1:19:40 PM

Z1NONLY said:
The power switch is either momentary or latched. (I think they are all momentary)

If the motherboard is expecting a latching power switch(button) then it should die (turn off) the instant you remove your screw driver.


If the mother board expects a momentary switch, then it should power on with a momentary "short" and then stay on forever. (And not turn off after you remove the short)

Since neither of these happened, I don't think the motherboard knew or cared that you used a screw driver to turn it off. It most likley turned off due to a fault. (Hopefully a CPU fan fault)


Probably from The fault.
m
0
l
!