Solved

ssd not recognized in Bios after deleting it as a boot option

I needed to do a clean install of Windows 8, so i entered BIOS menu with a bootable usb plugged in. While setting booting priority, I accidently deleted my ssd as a boot option. Now the ssd isn't recognized at all and my notebook seems pretty useless (running Ubuntu from a bootable usb atm). Any ideas on how I can get the ssd to be recognized again? It's an Asus Zenbook UX31A.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ssd recognized bios deleting boot option
  1. Best answer
    Reset the cmos to restore to default settings. There would be a jumper somewhere on the motherboard on a desktop with text like "cmos". Then fill in all your other settings. On a laptop, open up the ram area and find the attached cmos battery. remove that, wait a while, then put it back in. Then, the extra settings will be lost and the bios will be as it was out of the factory.
  2. Check your BIOS again.

    1.Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
    2.Switch to "Boot" and set “Launch CSM” (compatibility support) to Enabled. Also set "Fast Boot" to Disabled
    3.Switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.
    4.Press F10 to save and exit.
    5.Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when the notebook restarts. Select your ssd as the primary boot drive.
  3. lxgoldsmith said:
    Reset the cmos to restore to default settings. There would be a jumper somewhere on the motherboard on a desktop with text like "cmos". Then fill in all your other settings. On a laptop, open up the ram area and find the attached cmos battery. remove that, wait a while, then put it back in. Then, the extra settings will be lost and the bios will be as it was out of the factory.


    Okay I'll check if someone can do this for me, thanks.

    JohnnyLucky said:
    Check your BIOS again.

    1.Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
    2.Switch to "Boot" and set “Launch CSM” (compatibility support) to Enabled. Also set "Fast Boot" to Disabled
    3.Switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.
    4.Press F10 to save and exit.
    5.Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when the notebook restarts. Select your ssd as the primary boot drive.



    Unfortunately, the options you mentioned under 2 and 3 aren't available in my BIOS.
  4. JohnnyLucky said:
    Check your BIOS again.

    1.Enter the BIOS setup menu by pressing and holding F2 key when powering on.
    2.Switch to "Boot" and set “Launch CSM” (compatibility support) to Enabled. Also set "Fast Boot" to Disabled
    3.Switch to "Security" and set "Secure Boot Control" to Disabled.
    4.Press F10 to save and exit.
    5.Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when the notebook restarts. Select your ssd as the primary boot drive.



    hi johnnylucky
    I've tried your way multiple times, and it always works. However, when I restart my laptop after it has been off for a while (a night or so) I always have to retake these steps! You have any idea why this happens?
    Thanks
  5. celism - I wish I could help you. Unfortunately I do not have a suggestion. Perhaps someone else reading this thread might have an answer.
  6. jst83 said:
    I needed to do a clean install of Windows 8, so i entered BIOS menu with a bootable usb plugged in. While setting booting priority, I accidently deleted my ssd as a boot option. Now the ssd isn't recognized at all and my notebook seems pretty useless (running Ubuntu from a bootable usb atm). Any ideas on how I can get the ssd to be recognized again? It's an Asus Zenbook UX31A.


    I had the same problem as you and I solved it (well, i didn't solve it by myself) using an external partitioning program, 'cause the 1029 error you get by trying to restore the notebook from its restore dvds is sign of a corrupted partition table. I don't know exactly how, but i think it's a bootable program (and i don't know its name) that you can flash from the boot menu with a usb pen. I hope this will be useful also for you, because it's the solution we all needed to solve this problem.
  7. Restart your pc and immediately go into the motherboard's UEFI BIOS. Look for another section somewhere in the UEFI BIOS with a data storage tab or data storage configuration tab. See if the ssd is enabled. If it is not enabled, then you will not see it in the boot priority menu. Enable the ssd. It should now be visible over in the boot priority menu.

    Don't forget to go your motherboard company web site and find the technical support and download page for your motherboard. Check for the latest BIOS and Intel Chipset updates. If your UEFI BIOS and Intel Chipset are not up to date, then go ahead and install the newest ones.

    Partitioning an ssd is neither required nor recommended. This forum has had more than its fair share of questions about problems with ssd partitions. Perform a secure erase, then let Microsoft Windows automatically create one large partition during a clean install. No Muss! No Fuss! No Bother!
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Bootable Usb Clean Install Storage SSD