Solved

Going to build a gaming PC and wanted to hear people's suggestions or gather a general consensus: AMD 8350(CPU)R9 290(GC)

Looking to spend around £700 ($1,100) and need some guidance. So far I've got:

AMD 8350
RADEON R9 290
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB
CORSAIR CX600
1 TB CAVIAR BLACK
ANTEC ILLUSION 300 CASE
Not decided on a motherboard yet
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build gaming wanted hear people suggestions gather general consensus amd 8350 cpu 290
  1. I would suggest a better psu, cx line isn't the greatest. Find something from Antex, Xfx or seasonic. Are you planning to Oc or add a second card down the road?
  2. Abscent said:
    I would suggest a better psu, cx line isn't the greatest. Find something from Antex, Xfx or seasonic. Are you planning to Oc or add a second card down the road?


    I'm planning on both a bit further down the line but will buy a cooler if I'm doing this
  3. Best answer
    If you are planning to crossfire might as spend a little more and get a powerful enough PSU now. Pc parts says the draw will be 743 watts. So this 850 watt XFX will be great. Couldn't find the case you wanted in list but it is listed on amazon for £49.99. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Three-Hundred-Gaming-Construction/dp/B0017Q8IAA

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£141.00 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard (£76.64 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£63.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£62.38 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (£300.98 @ Dabs)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £763.80
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 03:36 GMT+0000)
    - you can remove the cooler i added if you want to and drop this price by £24
  4. Abscent said:
    If you are planning to crossfire might as spend a little more and get a powerful enough PSU now. Pc parts says the draw will be 743 watts. So this 850 watt XFX will be great. Couldn't find the case you wanted in list but it is listed on amazon for £49.99. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Three-Hundred-Gaming-Construction/dp/B0017Q8IAA

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£141.00 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard (£76.64 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£63.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£62.38 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (£300.98 @ Dabs)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £763.80
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 03:36 GMT+0000)
    - you can remove the cooler i added if you want to and drop this price by £24


    Thanks very much ! This has been really helpful. Would you recommend any cases that are good for airflow just for some variation
  5. Abscent said:

    I don't mind spending more if there's any that really shine of is the sort of benchmark
  6. Can't find any benchmarks on cooling this is going off of personal builds and praise I have read about them. If you want to spend more and have something a little more shine to it.

    Nzxt Phanthom 410: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-Midi-Tower-Chassis/dp/B006I2H04I/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1387857857&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+phantom+410
    Fractal R4 Window: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/FractalDesign/FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W.html?#utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

    That's about the better air cooling cases I know of, all the cases i mentioned are about the same for cooling quality. Just pick what looks the best to you. Personally I just ordered the Fractal R4 Window, just love the sleek look and option of putting in 6 fans.
  7. Abscent said:
    Can't find any benchmarks on cooling this is going off of personal builds and praise I have read about them. If you want to spend more and have something a little more shine to it.

    Nzxt Phanthom 410: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-Midi-Tower-Chassis/dp/B006I2H04I/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1387857857&sr=1-1&keywords=nzxt+phantom+410
    Fractal R4 Window: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/FractalDesign/FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W.html?#utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

    That's about the better air cooling cases I know of, all the cases i mentioned are about the same for cooling quality. Just pick what looks the best to you. Personally I just ordered the Fractal R4 Window, just love the sleek look and option of putting in 6 fans.

    They're both really nice cases, lovely and spacious. Thanks very much for the advice. You've been really helpful !

    Cheers
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming AMD Build Systems