Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can't close case after installing GTX 780 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 24, 2013 12:27:47 AM

Hi,

I have a workstation DELL Precision T5500. I just upgraded my VGA from a Quadro to GTX 780 Ti. The T5500 case opens on the right and the problem is GTX 780 Ti way too big for my case. I can plug it in but I can't close the case after that.





Is it ok to leave the case open? I'm worried about dust and overheating since the heat sync and or fan is designed to work in a closed environment.

Any solutions? What if I clean it out often? I don't think a bigger case would help because this Dell T5500 is designed as a workstation, not gaming.

Please help :( 
December 24, 2013 12:39:04 AM

This should not be problem. Plenty of us used to or still run with no panels or open cases. Small pets, cats and kid's fingers will be a hazard. Just take a can of air to your computer every couple of months or once a week if it's in a dusty environment.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 4:02:30 AM

This shouldn't be an issue. actually might run cooler.
However, your situation couldn't be more coincidental and timely to mine if you tried. I have a dell t5500 also, and had a gtx460 in there until the other day.

I replaced that with an EVGA 780 Ti ACX. Had many issues. FPS is really low, then when I worked with some different connectors (dell psu only has two 6-pin cables, so had to use adapters to fit 6 + 8 pin ones on card), I found the system crashing under load. Best I can assume, the PSU is getting overloaded on one of the rails.

Pretty sure my card is as big as yours - it's huge. It fits ok, except the cables the plug in on the top, i had to cram them down a bit to get the harddrive assembly to click back in. Same thing I had to do for the 460.

Can you report to me what you're experience is with the card you just got, exactly which one it is, and if you have any stability or fps issues?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 24, 2013 7:49:26 AM

Cyph3r said:
This shouldn't be an issue. actually might run cooler.
However, your situation couldn't be more coincidental and timely to mine if you tried. I have a dell t5500 also, and had a gtx460 in there until the other day.

I replaced that with an EVGA 780 Ti ACX. Had many issues. FPS is really low, then when I worked with some different connectors (dell psu only has two 6-pin cables, so had to use adapters to fit 6 + 8 pin ones on card), I found the system crashing under load. Best I can assume, the PSU is getting overloaded on one of the rails.

Pretty sure my card is as big as yours - it's huge. It fits ok, except the cables the plug in on the top, i had to cram them down a bit to get the harddrive assembly to click back in. Same thing I had to do for the 460.

Can you report to me what you're experience is with the card you just got, exactly which one it is, and if you have any stability or fps issues?


I haven't tested the performance yet. Like you said before, Dell PSU only has two 6 pin connectors so I'm going to buy a 6pin to 8pin adapter to fit the card. I think your system crashing under load may due to the lack of power? Because GTX 780 Ti has a max draw of 250 watts. The board provide 75 and the 2x 6pin provide 75 each so the total is 225, not enough maybe.

Should we use dual 6 pin to 8 pin instead of 6pin to 8pin? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Express-Dual-6-Pin-to-8-P...
m
0
l

Best solution

December 24, 2013 7:58:51 AM

RayLe said:
Cyph3r said:
This shouldn't be an issue. actually might run cooler.
However, your situation couldn't be more coincidental and timely to mine if you tried. I have a dell t5500 also, and had a gtx460 in there until the other day.

I replaced that with an EVGA 780 Ti ACX. Had many issues. FPS is really low, then when I worked with some different connectors (dell psu only has two 6-pin cables, so had to use adapters to fit 6 + 8 pin ones on card), I found the system crashing under load. Best I can assume, the PSU is getting overloaded on one of the rails.

Pretty sure my card is as big as yours - it's huge. It fits ok, except the cables the plug in on the top, i had to cram them down a bit to get the harddrive assembly to click back in. Same thing I had to do for the 460.

Can you report to me what you're experience is with the card you just got, exactly which one it is, and if you have any stability or fps issues?


I haven't tested the performance yet. Like you said before, Dell PSU only has two 6 pin connectors so I'm going to buy a 6pin to 8pin adapter to fit the card. I think your system crashing under load may due to the lack of power? Because GTX 780 Ti has a max draw of 250 watts. The board provide 75 and the 2x 6pin provide 75 each so the total is 225, not enough maybe.

Should we use dual 6 pin to 8 pin instead of 6pin to 8pin? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Express-Dual-6-Pin-to-8-P...

I had pre-purchased this 6 to 8 pin adapter from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Express-Power-Adapter-PC...

As far as I can tell it worked fine.

I tried this, and came to the same conclusion as your theory about 225watts via 75 + 2*75 = 225 not being enough, so I rewired with a "2x6pin pci-e to single 8pin pci-e" adapter connecting both 6 - pins into the one 8 -pin then an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Express-Adapt... for the other 6 pin, hoping to gain another channel of power. Still the computer would crash around 82 degrees celsius when things started to heat up in game.

So, my conclusion is either my adapters are not the correct kind, or else we need to keep TDP below 250 watts. This greatly reduces the video card options available. The best I could find are 660 ti, 680, or 670 that would fit this criteria and possibly work. The 770 comes really close at 230 watts, but possibly might work also. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series TDP's. Radeon 280 or 270x would also probably work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_Series
Of the bunch, the 680 is the strongest, unless the 770 also works, in which case it's slightly faster.

Perhaps you could add me on skype. we can discuss more.
Share
June 4, 2014 10:17:28 PM

Cyph3r said:
RayLe said:
Cyph3r said:
This shouldn't be an issue. actually might run cooler.
However, your situation couldn't be more coincidental and timely to mine if you tried. I have a dell t5500 also, and had a gtx460 in there until the other day.

I replaced that with an EVGA 780 Ti ACX. Had many issues. FPS is really low, then when I worked with some different connectors (dell psu only has two 6-pin cables, so had to use adapters to fit 6 + 8 pin ones on card), I found the system crashing under load. Best I can assume, the PSU is getting overloaded on one of the rails.

Pretty sure my card is as big as yours - it's huge. It fits ok, except the cables the plug in on the top, i had to cram them down a bit to get the harddrive assembly to click back in. Same thing I had to do for the 460.

Can you report to me what you're experience is with the card you just got, exactly which one it is, and if you have any stability or fps issues?


I haven't tested the performance yet. Like you said before, Dell PSU only has two 6 pin connectors so I'm going to buy a 6pin to 8pin adapter to fit the card. I think your system crashing under load may due to the lack of power? Because GTX 780 Ti has a max draw of 250 watts. The board provide 75 and the 2x 6pin provide 75 each so the total is 225, not enough maybe.

Should we use dual 6 pin to 8 pin instead of 6pin to 8pin? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Express-Dual-6-Pin-to-8-P...

I had pre-purchased this 6 to 8 pin adapter from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Express-Power-Adapter-PC...

As far as I can tell it worked fine.

I tried this, and came to the same conclusion as your theory about 225watts via 75 + 2*75 = 225 not being enough, so I rewired with a "2x6pin pci-e to single 8pin pci-e" adapter connecting both 6 - pins into the one 8 -pin then an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-6-Inch-Express-Adapt... for the other 6 pin, hoping to gain another channel of power. Still the computer would crash around 82 degrees celsius when things started to heat up in game.

So, my conclusion is either my adapters are not the correct kind, or else we need to keep TDP below 250 watts. This greatly reduces the video card options available. The best I could find are 660 ti, 680, or 670 that would fit this criteria and possibly work. The 770 comes really close at 230 watts, but possibly might work also. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series TDP's. Radeon 280 or 270x would also probably work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_Series
Of the bunch, the 680 is the strongest, unless the 770 also works, in which case it's slightly faster.

Perhaps you could add me on skype. we can discuss more.


I'm thinking About upgrading my t5500 the same way, with the gtx780. Did you eventually managed to make this setup work without crashing ? Thanks
m
0
l
!