R9 290 dropped performance after litecoin mining

ScopeThaGecko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys,

So I bought an Sapphire R9 290 beginning of the month and love the performance.
I've been using this card for a lot of gaming and since 2 weeks for litecoin mining.
I haven't had any issues after mining or during mining, only that the sometimes when having the intensity close to 20 the driver crashes, I blamed the beta drivers for that.
I installed Catalyst 13.12 and haven't had any crashes when mining at high intensities.
So I decided to let my gpu mine at intensity 19 for the weekend, I was gone for the weekend anyway.
I let it run at:
core: 727MHz
memory: 1350MHz
Fan: 30-70% (was at 58% almost the entire time)
Extra Power: +10%

I came back home yesterday wanting to game, only to find out that my gpu really lacked in delivering performance. Before all of this I had no issue reaching a solid 60 fps in Borderlands 2 @1080p and well over 45fps in Battlefield 4 and Far cry 3 @1080p.

Whereas now if i play Borderlands 2 i just barely get 40fps, and when playing Far cry 3 or Battlefield 4 i don't even reach 10fps.

My thermals are under control, I never let the core run over 80C (I really don't like AMD stating the card can handle 95C. The core might, but the circuitry really can't handle that)
The usage on the gpu is a near constant 100% in-game and the clock doesn't run at my specified settings:
core: 1075MHz (I get around 900-1050MHz)
memory: 1350MHz (Memory does reach 1350MHz constantly)
power: +25% (this works too)
Fan: max 100% (never goes anywhere near 50%, usually it would stick at 58-60% and deliver my specified clock rates)

I tried removing and re-installing drivers, and even tried updating windows 8 to windows 8.1 and then re-installing drivers. Nothing seems to help.

Please help me fix this.

Sincerely,

Gecko