Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help with a new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 24, 2013 9:40:29 AM

I dont really know anything about graphics cards. Which one will work with the pc i have? i dont need a super fancy one, but i willing to spend a few hundred dollars on it. My PC specs are:

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz 37 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830_M11AA (LGA1155) 38 °C

Graphics
SE46FY10 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 35 °C
3GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)

Optical Drives
ASUS DVD RAM GH95N ATA Device

Audio
Intel Display Audio

More about : graphics card

December 24, 2013 9:56:14 AM

Hello, I am having difficulty finding your motherboard specifications. Do you know if your motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 or 3.0? I assume it has one of them so here is a great videocard that I plan to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There is a small difference between PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 but there is a critical difference between PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0. With 1.0 and 2.0 the bandwidth is doubled. Hope this helped, please ask additional questions if needed. Thanks!
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:08:35 AM

ThatOneComputerMan said:
Hello, I am having difficulty finding your motherboard specifications. Do you know if your motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 or 3.0? I assume it has one of them so here is a great videocard that I plan to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There is a small difference between PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 but there is a critical difference between PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0. With 1.0 and 2.0 the bandwidth is doubled. Hope this helped, please ask additional questions if needed. Thanks!


Seems to be a 3.0 Heres a screenshot: http://imgur.com/sT7Sshn
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 10:11:39 AM

What is your budget for a new video card? You have a really good PC and adding a graphics card will boost your performance substantially! I would recommend the GTX 760 if you can. It's a great card for the price.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:14:38 AM

Jared Jensen said:
What is your budget for a new video card? You have a really good PC and adding a graphics card will boost your performance substantially! I would recommend the GTX 760 if you can. It's a great card for the price.


To be honest im not sure, my dad just said "Try me" when i said it would be expensive. Also i beleive my power supply is really bad. Opened up the case and it seems to only be 350W, then it said for 30 seconds in ()
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:15:04 AM

It looks like it says PCI Express x16, that is a huge limitation if it actually is 1.0. The bandwidth will be halved compared to PCIe 2.0 :/ 
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:16:56 AM

ThatOneComputerMan said:
It looks like it says PCI Express x16, that is a huge limitation if it actually is 1.0. The bandwidth will be halved compared to PCIe 2.0 :/ 


In that picture i linked to, it said "PCI express version supported: 3.0"
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 10:19:46 AM

Sidrelly said:
Jared Jensen said:
What is your budget for a new video card? You have a really good PC and adding a graphics card will boost your performance substantially! I would recommend the GTX 760 if you can. It's a great card for the price.


To be honest im not sure, my dad just said "Try me" when i said it would be expensive. Also i beleive my power supply is really bad. Opened up the case and it seems to only be 350W, then it said for 30 seconds in ()


If you're PSU is only 350 watts then you definitely need to upgrade your PSU. I recommend at least a 500 watt PSU.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 24, 2013 10:22:00 AM

Oh wow. Most video cards require a minimum of a certain amount such as 500 watt even though they don't require that much. Here is a page showing the usage of the GTX series, like Jared suggested, in different scenarios. You will definitely need a bigger power supply, I would get a 500 or 600 watt. Here is a great one, might as well get the 735 watt of this model since the 635 costs the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

brb eating
Share
December 24, 2013 10:23:54 AM

Sidrelly said:
ThatOneComputerMan said:
It looks like it says PCI Express x16, that is a huge limitation if it actually is 1.0. The bandwidth will be halved compared to PCIe 2.0 :/ 


In that picture i linked to, it said "PCI express version supported: 3.0"


Woops didn't see that.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:24:28 AM

ThatOneComputerMan said:
Oh wow. Most video cards require a minimum of a certain amount such as 500 watt even though they don't require that much. Here is a page showing the usage of the GTX series, like Jared suggested, in different scenarios. You will definitely need a bigger power supply, I would get a 500 or 600 watt. Here is a great one, might as well get the 735 watt of this model since the 635 costs the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

brb eating


Alright so first things first is to upgrade my power supply. Is there any restrictions, or are they "universal"(meaning any power supply will work in any pc)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 10:29:16 AM

Sidrelly said:
ThatOneComputerMan said:
Oh wow. Most video cards require a minimum of a certain amount such as 500 watt even though they don't require that much. Here is a page showing the usage of the GTX series, like Jared suggested, in different scenarios. You will definitely need a bigger power supply, I would get a 500 or 600 watt. Here is a great one, might as well get the 735 watt of this model since the 635 costs the same. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

brb eating


Alright so first things first is to upgrade my power supply. Is there any restrictions, or are they "universal"(meaning any power supply will work in any pc)


Correct, any power supply you buy should work great. Just make sure you tell us which one it is before you buy it so you dont buy a bad one or one that is not right for you. Get at least a 500watt PSU, but 600watts is a really safe bet meaning you wont have any problems and you wont have to worry about a thing.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:31:01 AM

Alright ill probably end up getting the one that was linked to up there just to be safe, since its 735 and he said it would work for my pc. My dad is getting me a new graphics card tomorrow, so once that power supply comes in the mail ill be able to set everything up. Thanks everyone :) 
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 10:46:16 AM

Sidrelly said:
Alright ill probably end up getting the one that was linked to up there just to be safe, since its 735 and he said it would work for my pc. My dad is getting me a new graphics card tomorrow, so once that power supply comes in the mail ill be able to set everything up. Thanks everyone :) 


No problem, that PSU is a steal! :D 
m
0
l
!