Solved

New workstation/multitasking build

Hello all,
The E8500 machine I have been using the last several years is beginning to bum me out. I'm looking to build a respectable workstation for under $1K including Win7Pro. I'd like an i7 because it sounds cooler than i5 and have read the debate until my brain hurts but really want the most bang for my buck and rock solid reliability from a machine that never gets turned off. I tend to have several things going on at any given time. As an example; I can have two browsers open, music streaming, Quickbooks running, MS365 banging away and then open a 200MB .pdf file or two and or stream a youtube vid.
Any help would be much appreciated.

My needs are:
Typical office stuff (word, excel, power point)
Quickbooks
Open, view, page through large .pdf files
Open, view, page through large CAD files (no editing)
Run 2-24" monitors @ 1920x1200

I use a NAS for file storage so I don't need a huge HDD

Thanks again,
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about workstation multitasking build
  1. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1114.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 14:05 EST-0500)
  2. it over do to the extra ram and a ssd drive for speed.
  3. This should fit your needs perfectly. I wasn't sure how much storage you need so I put in a 1TB hard drive. You could swap that out for a SSD or a smaller hard drive to fit your preference. There's no need for an i7, as the main advantage of that CPU is the hyper threading technology which is best for programs like Photoshop where heavy editing is involved. An i5 is a great, fast processor that should handle two screens easily.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.57 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($131.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $715.46
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 14:06 EST-0500)
  4. smorizio said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2phSo/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1114.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 14:05 EST-0500)


    That's a good gaming build, but he's aiming for a workstation.
  5. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2pi0h
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2pi0h/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2pi0h/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $953.90
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 14:10 EST-0500)
  6. Best answer
    This should suit your needs (and look pretty cool, as well):

    BITFENIX Shinobi Black Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Plastic
    COOLER MASTER GX 650W Power Supply, 80 PLUS® Bronze, ATX12V 2.31 EPS12V, 2x 8/6-pin PCIe
    ASUS Z87-K, LGA1150, Intel® Z87, DDR3-2933 (O.C.) 32GB ATX
    INTEL Core™ i7-4770 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.9GHz TB, HD Graphics 4600, LGA1150, 8MB L3 Cache, DDR3-1600, 22nm, 84W, EIST HT vPro VT-d VT-x XD
    COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus CPU Cooler, Socket 1155/1156/1366/775/AM3/AM2/940/939/754, 84mm Height, Copper/Aluminum
    ARCTIC SILVER Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear Ceramic Thermal Compound, Ceramic-Based, Electrically Non-Conductive
    CRUCIAL 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL11 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
    EVGA GeForce® GTX 760 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler 1072-1137MHz, 2GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DP + HDMI + 2x DVI
    SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda®, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
    RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
    LITE-ON iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA
    MICROSOFT Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM w/ Media
    WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)
  7. These are great! Is the SSD for quick start up only? My machine runs 24/7.
  8. woody240 said:
    These are great! Is the SSD for quick start up only? My machine runs 24/7.


    Quicker startup and quicker launch of programs. An SSD lowers programs loading times.
  9. Any more build recommendations?
    I'm still on the fence regarding the i5 vs. i7. Will the i7 provide more longevity or is that more of a mobo issue? Does Win7pro play nice with both?
    I'd like to get 4-5 years out of this thing.
  10. woody240 said:
    Any more build recommendations?
    I'm still on the fence regarding the i5 vs. i7. Will the i7 provide more longevity or is that more of a mobo issue? Does Win7pro play nice with both?
    I'd like to get 4-5 years out of this thing.


    Yes the i5 is a great CPU. I7 is meant for rendering and such, which is why it has hyper threading.
Ask a new question

Read More

Workstations Systems