Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Want to upgrade to a gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 24, 2013 11:43:47 AM

I want to upgrade my pc so I can play the latest games. I am having confusions between selecting the right processor & graphics card.

I know that Intel i5 is good for gaming but I am on a budget, so I am looking for options in Intel i3 but I do not know which one would be ideal.

I have selected Sapphire 7770 as the graphics card, however I want to know if there are any better alternatives I can use.

Thanks.

More about : upgrade gaming

December 24, 2013 11:47:08 AM

To help we would need to see your budget.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 12:54:08 PM

vFMXv said:
To help we would need to see your budget.


Hi,

I am only upgrading my CPU & my budget is between $400-500. I am going to buy 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard disk, 500W PSU which is included in this budget. I need to know which is the right processor, motherboard & graphics card combination I can use for a mid range gaming pc.

Thanks.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 24, 2013 1:03:42 PM

What Motherboard do you have? As the sockets can be differ between the Mobo and the CPU. (basically the CPU will not fit on the Motherboard).

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2013 1:12:13 PM

Two really good options would be to get an AMD FX-6300 processor which is a 6 core CPU costing only $120 (near the price of an i3). It is also great for overclocking. A 7770 would also be great paired with this CPU and you can expect to be able to play on the latest games on medium to high settings. I also have a 7770 made by Asus. It's one of the best price to performance cards currently in the market at will come in at also $120. Don't expect to be able to play the latest games on ultra because this card is only a low end. If you want to get better performance I would suggest a GTX 760 or better. Hope I helped!
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 1:12:28 PM

vFMXv said:
What Motherboard do you have? As the sockets can be differ between the Mobo and the CPU. (basically the CPU will not fit on the Motherboard).



I have a Gigabyte mother board with an AMD processor which I am going to replace so it is compatible with the new Intel processor.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2013 1:13:12 PM

Oh yeah, and don't forgot you will also need a compatible motherboard and PSU with a PCI-e connector. Good luck!
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 1:20:10 PM

Computer__GUY said:
Two really good options would be to get an AMD FX-6300 processor which is a 6 core CPU costing only $120 (near the price of an i3). It is also great for overclocking. A 7770 would also be great paired with this CPU and you can expect to be able to play on the latest games on medium to high settings. I also have a 7770 made by Asus. It's one of the best price to performance cards currently in the market at will come in at also $120. Don't expect to be able to play the latest games on ultra because this card is only a low end. If you want to get better performance I would suggest a GTX 760 or better. Hope I helped!


Hi,

I intend to play the games at normal settings & I use a 19 inch LCD display. I am currently using a basic AMD Athlon processor & want to change to an Intel processor. Would an i3 be a good combination with 7770? There are many versions of the i3 & I am confused which one would be suitable. Also are there any other graphics cards to fit in my budget which I can use?

Thanks.
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 1:32:00 PM

Yes there is a better GPU that fits your budget, the 7790. Here's probably your best option for the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 16:31 EST-0500)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2013 1:42:30 PM

hars said:
Computer__GUY said:
Two really good options would be to get an AMD FX-6300 processor which is a 6 core CPU costing only $120 (near the price of an i3). It is also great for overclocking. A 7770 would also be great paired with this CPU and you can expect to be able to play on the latest games on medium to high settings. I also have a 7770 made by Asus. It's one of the best price to performance cards currently in the market at will come in at also $120. Don't expect to be able to play the latest games on ultra because this card is only a low end. If you want to get better performance I would suggest a GTX 760 or better. Hope I helped!


Hi,

I intend to play the games at normal settings & I use a 19 inch LCD display. I am currently using a basic AMD Athlon processor & want to change to an Intel processor. Would an i3 be a good combination with 7770? There are many versions of the i3 & I am confused which one would be suitable. Also are there any other graphics cards to fit in my budget which I can use?

Thanks.


AMD processors are just as good as Intel processors. Generally, i3's aren't built for gaming hence only their 2 sometimes 4 cores although paired with a 7770 it wouldn't be too bad. But trust me, you'd be better getting a FX 6300. Some games do make use of additional cores.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 1:49:19 PM

RazerZ said:
Yes there is a better GPU that fits your budget, the 7790. Here's probably your best option for the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 16:31 EST-0500)



I did check the specs for the i3 4130 in the review section on this site & it is a good option. I was wondering if i3 3250 would also be good. The HD 7790 will increase my budget a little bit & I may go with the 7770. Will just have to finalize between the two.

Thanks.
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 1:56:01 PM

hars said:
RazerZ said:
Yes there is a better GPU that fits your budget, the 7790. Here's probably your best option for the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Kingston Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 16:31 EST-0500)



I did check the specs for the i3 4130 in the review section on this site & it is a good option. I was wondering if i3 3250 would also be good. The HD 7790 will increase my budget a little bit & I may go with the 7770. Will just have to finalize between the two.

Thanks.


Sure the i3 3250 is also good.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 2:08:34 PM

Computer__GUY said:
hars said:
Computer__GUY said:
Two really good options would be to get an AMD FX-6300 processor which is a 6 core CPU costing only $120 (near the price of an i3). It is also great for overclocking. A 7770 would also be great paired with this CPU and you can expect to be able to play on the latest games on medium to high settings. I also have a 7770 made by Asus. It's one of the best price to performance cards currently in the market at will come in at also $120. Don't expect to be able to play the latest games on ultra because this card is only a low end. If you want to get better performance I would suggest a GTX 760 or better. Hope I helped!


Hi,

I intend to play the games at normal settings & I use a 19 inch LCD display. I am currently using a basic AMD Athlon processor & want to change to an Intel processor. Would an i3 be a good combination with 7770? There are many versions of the i3 & I am confused which one would be suitable. Also are there any other graphics cards to fit in my budget which I can use?

Thanks.


AMD processors are just as good as Intel processors. Generally, i3's aren't built for gaming hence only their 2 sometimes 4 cores although paired with a 7770 it wouldn't be too bad. But trust me, you'd be better getting a FX 6300. Some games do make use of additional cores.



Ok just to clarify, since the AMD FX 6300 has 6 cores & i3 4130 is a dual core, AMD is a better option?
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 2:14:34 PM

hars said:
Computer__GUY said:
hars said:
Computer__GUY said:
Two really good options would be to get an AMD FX-6300 processor which is a 6 core CPU costing only $120 (near the price of an i3). It is also great for overclocking. A 7770 would also be great paired with this CPU and you can expect to be able to play on the latest games on medium to high settings. I also have a 7770 made by Asus. It's one of the best price to performance cards currently in the market at will come in at also $120. Don't expect to be able to play the latest games on ultra because this card is only a low end. If you want to get better performance I would suggest a GTX 760 or better. Hope I helped!


Hi,

I intend to play the games at normal settings & I use a 19 inch LCD display. I am currently using a basic AMD Athlon processor & want to change to an Intel processor. Would an i3 be a good combination with 7770? There are many versions of the i3 & I am confused which one would be suitable. Also are there any other graphics cards to fit in my budget which I can use?

Thanks.


AMD processors are just as good as Intel processors. Generally, i3's aren't built for gaming hence only their 2 sometimes 4 cores although paired with a 7770 it wouldn't be too bad. But trust me, you'd be better getting a FX 6300. Some games do make use of additional cores.



Ok just to clarify, since the AMD FX 6300 has 6 cores & i3 4130 is a dual core, AMD is a better option?


No because even though it has six cores, each core is slower than the i3's. In the end they are close in performance, but the i3 is better for gaming.
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 2:25:53 PM

Looking at all the suggestions I have to select between Intel i3 4130 or i3 3250 or AMD FX 6300 for the processor. For the graphics card it would be HD 7770 or 7790.

Just wanted your final thoughts on which combination would be the best.
I intend to use the best combination so I don't have to do any changes for the next few years.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 227 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2013 2:55:43 PM

hars said:
Looking at all the suggestions I have to select between Intel i3 4130 or i3 3250 or AMD FX 6300 for the processor. For the graphics card it would be HD 7770 or 7790.

Just wanted your final thoughts on which combination would be the best.
I intend to use the best combination so I don't have to do any changes for the next few years.


i3 4130 and 7790 is the fastest GPU and CPU combo out of the choices you gave.
Share
!