Solved

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX780 with AMD FX6100?

I have an AMD FX6100 processor and am thinking to upgrade my graphics card to an Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 and want to know whether these two parts will work together nicely. It may also be worth mentioning that I have a Gigabyte motherboard and a 750 Watt powersupply. Any help will be appreciated.
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus nvidia geforce gtx780 amd fx6100
  1. For now it will work fine and if U try to run high intensive tasks affecting both cpu and gpu, the gpu will work far better than cpu so cpu might hottleneck much. Better go for AMD FX 8350 Processor.
  2. Best answer
    There will be a big bottleneck. I'd suggest getting an FX 8320 and a gtx 770 as that is more even, also get the M5A97 R2.0 all this will cost around the same as a gtx 780.
  3. Welshstig said:
    There will be a big bottleneck. I'd suggest getting an FX 8320 and a gtx 770 as that is more even, also get the M5A97 R2.0 all this will cost around the same as a gtx 780.

    I priced the components you listed from Amazon and this was the total price: £420.62

    This does seem reasonable, but I'm no computer whiz, so I may have trouble fitting all of these; not to mention the 770 is 40cm long according to Amazon, I may need a new case.
  4. It is extremely easy, all you need is a screwdriver.
    If you don't want to build it though you can take it to any pc shop and they'll do it for you, and regarding the length of the gpu the 780 would be probably longer than the 770.
    What case do you have?
  5. The first one?
  6. Nope.

    Give me a link to the actual image.
  7. Oh the CiT vantage. That should fit most or any card out there, are you sure the gtx 770 is 40 cm long?
    Which gtx 770 is it and ill look it up?
  8. It should fit perfectly!
  9. Welshstig said:
    It should fit perfectly!

    Thanks so much! But I'm actually having second thoughts on my initial choice in graphics card... Now debating whether to buy a GTX 770 or a GTX 670 :p Which do you think would be better?
  10. The gtx 670 is a re branded gtx 760 and the gtx 770 is alot better than the 760.

    So the gtx 770 is alot better if you have the money if you don't go for the 760 or 670.
  11. What are your full specs at the moment? (CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU)
  12. JOOK-D said:
    What are your full specs at the moment? (CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU)

    CPU: AMD FX6100
    GPU: ATI Radeon 7770 HD 1GB
    750Watt powersupply
    And a Gigabyte motherboard (sorry, dont know the specific model)
  13. Welshstig said:
    The gtx 670 is a re branded gtx 760 and the gtx 770 is alot better than the 760.

    So the gtx 770 is alot better if you have the money if you don't go for the 760 or 670.

    Ok, I will look into the 770.
  14. TaylorBristow said:
    JOOK-D said:
    What are your full specs at the moment? (CPU, GPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU)

    CPU: AMD FX6100
    GPU: ATI Radeon 7770 HD 1GB
    750Watt powersupply
    And a Gigabyte motherboard (sorry, dont know the specific model)



    You could potentially save a lot of money if you knew the model of the mobo and PSU...

    http://www.piriform.com/speccy
  15. Your psu and mobo seems fine, but how much ram do ya have?
  16. Welshstig said:
    Your psu and mobo seems fine, but how much ram do ya have?

    8GB
  17. That's good, you have everything you can now buy the parts :D
  18. Welshstig said:
    That's good, you have everything you can now buy the parts :D

    Ok, so if I buy a GTX 770 I shouldn't have any problems? :D
  19. Nope, the fx 8320 and gtx 770 will be a good match.
  20. If the 8320 is even compatible with the motherboard ._.
  21. If you've read the thread fully you would of seen that I've said to get an m5a97 r2.0 am3+ motherboard, which are compatible with the fx 8320.
  22. Welshstig said:
    If you've read the thread fully you would of seen that I've said to get an m5a97 r2.0 am3+ motherboard, which are compatible with the fx 8320.


    I know, I have one. Just seems like a waste if his current motherboard is already AM3+ and compatible with the 8320. Especially if the copy of Windows is OEM, that will add to the cost.
  23. He hasn't actually mentioned what motherboard he has. I know that some am3 mobo can get a bios update to support am3+ processor's but since he hasn't gave the name of the motherboard and is not sure, I would just stay on the safe side. Also the M5A97 R2.0 is a very good motherboard I'd personally upgrade to it anyway.
  24. Welshstig said:
    He hasn't actually mentioned what motherboard he has. I know that some am3 mobo can get a bios update to support am3+ processor's but since he hasn't gave the name of the motherboard and is not sure, I would just stay on the safe side. Also the M5A97 R2.0 is a very good motherboard I'd personally upgrade to it anyway.


    He could have a GA-970A-Ud3 which is better than a M5A97 R2.0 anyway. It just seems like a waste of money when he could instead find out which one he has... hint hint OP: http://www.piriform.com/speccy
  25. JOOK-D said:
    Welshstig said:
    He hasn't actually mentioned what motherboard he has. I know that some am3 mobo can get a bios update to support am3+ processor's but since he hasn't gave the name of the motherboard and is not sure, I would just stay on the safe side. Also the M5A97 R2.0 is a very good motherboard I'd personally upgrade to it anyway.


    He could have a GA-970A-Ud3 which is better than a M5A97 R2.0 anyway. It just seems like a waste of money when he could instead find out which one he has... hint hint OP: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

    I don't know much about computers, but here you go: http://gyazo.com/859154b9d0ae935e89c889c9af030a63
    (That is the Speccy summary of my PC.)
  26. Ok yes you'll be looking at a new motherboard too :P Go with Welshtig's suggestion.
  27. This motherboard may actually run am3+ processor's but it is sadly a 760g chipset which is pretty bad and terrible for overclocking so I stick to my decision I think you should get an m5a97 r2.0.
  28. Welshstig said:
    This motherboard may actually run am3+ processor's but it is sadly a 760g chipset which is pretty bad and terrible for overclocking so I stick to my decision I think you should get an m5a97 r2.0.

    Is it vital to upgrade my motherboard? Or can I just upgrade the graphics card and the processor?
  29. TaylorBristow said:
    Welshstig said:
    This motherboard may actually run am3+ processor's but it is sadly a 760g chipset which is pretty bad and terrible for overclocking so I stick to my decision I think you should get an m5a97 r2.0.

    Is it vital to upgrade my motherboard? Or can I just upgrade the graphics card and the processor?


    Yes, your current motherboard doesn't support the 8320.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Nvidia CPUs Geforce AMD