Solved

Can I use two 4GB RAM sticks and one 8GB stick at the same time?

I recently got an 8GB ram stick to complement my two 4GB sticks. All three sticks have the same Voltage, Cas Latency, and MHz, and are the same model other than capacity, but when I check the Properties screen for my computer, my installed memory is listed as "16 GB (8GB usable)". Am I only able to use 8GB because the sticks are of different capacity, or is something else wrong?

I have two sticks of this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1412138&CatId=4534

And one of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148540

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4gb ram sticks 8gb stick time
  1. Best answer
    Check your motherboard specifications. What is the maximum amount of ram supported, and try to update your bios just in case. Make sure the ram's are arranged in correct order the highest at 1st slot and so on. Most important make sure the type of your ram is is dual channel kit? Some motherboards can only install max 4gb per dimm slot. So your motherboards specs is important here. Please provide it.
  2. What version of windows are you using? If it's Win 7 Home Premium, windows only allows you to use 8GB of ram, you have to have pro to use more than 8. I'm not sure if Win 8 is the same way but I wouldn't be surprised. You can use software to turn the extra 8GB into a ram drive if you wanted to. I have a friend that did this and said it worked fine.
  3. razor 10 said:
    Check your motherboard specifications. What is the maximum amount of ram supported, and try to update your bios just in case. Make sure the ram's are arranged in correct order the highest at 1st slot and so on. Most important make sure the type of your ram is is dual channel kit? Some motherboards can only install max 4gb per dimm slot. So your motherboards specs is important here. Please provide it.


    I know the mobo supports 32GB, this is it here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8324505&CatId=7244
    I didn't know I needed the sticks in order of largest-to-smallest, though, so I'll fix that right quick and see if it works.

    Edit: I also have Win7 Ultimate, so the Home restriction shouldn't be a problem.
  4. Sorry friend i cant access at the link provided. Pls send the official link of your mobo....
  5. So I moved the 8GB stick to the first slot and the 4GB sticks to the 2nd and 3rd slots, and now Windows says i have 16GB with 12GB usable. Would I be correct in assuming the other 4GB stick isn't being used because it's dual-channel and I don't have a stick in the 4th slot?

    Also sorry, here's the official page for the mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#ov
  6. Xorph said:
    So I moved the 8GB stick to the first slot and the 4GB sticks to the 2nd and 3rd slots, and now Windows says i have 16GB with 12GB usable. Would I be correct in assuming the other 4GB stick isn't being used because it's dual-channel and I don't have a stick in the 4th slot?

    Also sorry, here's the official page for the mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4591#ov


    Ok. Now, is the two 4gb slots that you have is identical in every aspect. Try to download cpuid and check the ram specs. Or try to put the two 4gb ram stick in 2nd and 4th slot. Give it a shot. :)
  7. razor 10 said:

    Ok. Now, is the two 4gb slots that you have is identical in every aspect. Try to download cpuid and check the ram specs. Or try to put the two 4gb ram stick in 2nd and 4th slot. Give it a shot. :)


    Yeah, the two 4GB sticks are the same, I'll try moving one to the 4th slot, thanks!

    Edit: Unfortunately, moving the 4GB stick didn't change anything, but your help still got me from 8GB to 12, so thanks a ton!
  8. Xorph said:
    razor 10 said:

    Ok. Now, is the two 4gb slots that you have is identical in every aspect. Try to download cpuid and check the ram specs. Or try to put the two 4gb ram stick in 2nd and 4th slot. Give it a shot. :)


    Yeah, the two 4GB sticks are the same, I'll try moving one to the 4th slot, thanks!

    Edit: Unfortunately, moving the 4GB stick didn't change anything, but your help still got me from 8GB to 12, so thanks a ton!


    No problem friend.:D
  9. Try with the 4GB sticks in 1-2 and the 8GB in three, then raise the DRAM voltage + 0.05 and the CPU/NB voltage + 0.125
  10. The DIMM slots run in pair's. It should usually be as follows: row 1+3, 2+4. Try using the 8GB stick in slot#1 then a 4GB stick in slot#2 and finally a 4GB stick in slot #4. (Skip slot#3).
  11. NewEnglandElectronics said:
    The DIMM slots run in pair's. It should usually be as follows: row 1+3, 2+4. Try using the 8GB stick in slot#1 then a 4GB stick in slot#2 and finally a 4GB stick in slot #4. (Skip slot#3).


    I second this.
    If this still does not work. Try the 8gb stick in the 2nd slot + 4gb sticks in 1 & 3
  12. Hello all,

    Sorry for hijacking the thread.

    Similar issue here. My motherboard is MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) it supports up to 16GB of RAM.
    I have 2x KVR1333d3n9/4G modules 4GB each.

    Is it o.k. if i get this http://goo.gl/L3iV8f 8GB module?

    From the motherboard's manual:

    • In Dual-Channel mode, make sure that you install memory modules of the same type and density in dfferent channel DIMM slots.
    • To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the DIMM1 first
    • Due to the chipset resource deployment, the system density will only be detected up to 15+GB (not full 16GB) when each DIMM s installed with a 4GB memory module.


    "...memory modules of the same type and density in dfferent channel DIMM"
    So should i pair the 8GB with one 4GB in one channel?
  13. Can try, it may well not even work, mobo calls for up to 16GB and it's a four slot mobo - which indicates 16GB in a 4x4GB set. Might work (depending on BIOS), might not at all and might allow to use 4 of the *GB on the stick. My guess is not at all but would have to try it
  14. Tradesman1 said:
    Can try, it may well not even work, mobo calls for up to 16GB and it's a four slot mobo - which indicates 16GB in a 4x4GB set. Might work (depending on BIOS), might not at all and might allow to use 4 of the *GB on the stick. My guess is not at all but would have to try it


    Thank you
Ask a new question

Read More

Latency RAM Computers Memory