Solved

Will i be able to hook up a secondary monitor using a DVI to HDMI cable?

my graphic card is a nvidia gtx 760, it has one HDMI, one display port and 2 DVI.
i want to set up a secondary monitor, how will i go about doing so. currently i am using the HDMI port for my primary monitor.

will i be able to use a DVI to HDMI cable for the secondary monitor?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hook secondary monitor dvi hdmi cable
  1. Best answer
    yes, HDMI and DVI are essentially the same thing, except HDMI has audio included and DVI is just the display. So it will work, but you wont get audio that way.
  2. make sure when you look for adapters you know what you need. DVI, DVI-i DVI-d etc
  3. Beezy said:
    make sure when you look for adapters you know what you need. DVI, DVI-i DVI-d etc


    How do i know what type of cables i need?
  4. what is the exact model of your card (Asus MSI Sapphire Gigabye?)
  5. Beezy said:
    what is the exact model of your card (Asus MSI Sapphire Gigabye?)


    MSI
  6. you have two options, and what you need will depend on what is free. The one one the same row as the hdmi port is the DVI-i and the DVI-d is on a row by itself
  7. Beezy said:
    you have two options, and what you need will depend on what is free. The one one the same row as the hdmi port is the DVI-i and the DVI-d is on a row by itself


    ok, well that seems very simple thanks for the help

    just a quick check but will
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/8-dvi-to-hdmi-cable/9856884.p?id=1218186269178&skuId=9856884&st=dvi%20to%20hdmi&cp=1&lp=1
    work?
  8. yeah but screw bestbuy, thats way overpriced. something like this, assuming u have an hdmi cable laying around, is the best deal
    http://www.meritline.com/male-dvi-i-to-female-hdmi-adapter---p-30315.aspx

    adapter and the cable are basically the same, they just give more options depending on what cables you have at home etc. Even if you want an adapter cable, like in the link u posted, you should be able to find a much better deal on amazon
  9. alright thanks, you helped a lot
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics