FX 8320 Performance/Overheating issues.

FromTheDepths

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I recently built a rig for my little brother with a 6300 CPU, and it's run fine for months. Bro decides he wants to upgrade so I get him an FX 8320. I ran a few benchmarks to see if everything was running fine, and the results come back a lot lower than what would be expected. A Passmark CPU score ran back as 7,056, only marginally better than his old FX-6300. When I was going through the upgrading process I would receive mid 8's from the model.

Another concern is extreme overheating that's occurring. I decided to test its gaming performance and booted up Call of Cthulhu, (an 8 year old game that even a $200 laptop can run flawlessly). After about 10 minutes I take off my headphones to absolutely horrible fan cycling. Pop into AI Suite and find that the cooler is running at 3200RPM, and the chip is steady at about 72C. Even now it's idling at about 40C, which is incredibly high, even for a stock cooler. Nothing seems to be amiss in the voltages, BIOS settings, or fan controllers, so I'm at a loss for what could be causing this. At this point I've marked it down to a lemon CPU, but I'd like your guy's input before I RMA it.

Neverrazor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
what is your whole system components ....

the 8320 8350 and the old 8150 all run hotter normally ... and 72 C thats bad....so an upgrade of cooler is a MUST ... get something like hyper Evo 212 Turbo its not expensive and do the jop.

FromTheDepths

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

The only problem being that when I used to own the 8320, my temps were far lower than what he's currently running at. Even processes that take little to no processing power seem to be driving it in to the danger range. Right now he's got an M5A97 LE R2.0, Radeon 7850, a 1TB Seagate Cuda and a CX600 PSU.

pc 1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
that motherboard has no heatsinks on the vrm, that's not good with an 8 core cpu, does the case have an intake fan at the side?also make sure the cpu heatsink is installed properly

Neverrazor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
FromTheDepths ...temps higher than 70 for this cpu is in the DANGER ZONE ....thats where your cpu die....

First you need to stop using it .. if it get that high ..

Update Bios... Then set Defults for it..if you are on any overclock config...

Download a program called speedfan... its free just google it .. the first site...

I want you to look at the cpu usage/temp while you gaming or whatever.... also there is a chance that the sensor give wrong readings

FromTheDepths

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I've already checked the Mosfets with an IR Thermometer (to remove software inconsistencies) and they're surprisingly stable. It appears to be only the CPU that is overheating, which is rather perplexing. And yes, the heatsink is installed properly, I've done it hundreds of times.

FromTheDepths

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I RMA'd the processor for him and the replacement came in today. Thankfully this one is stable and idles at about 31C and hits about 55C under heavy load. Apparently the last one was simply a combustible lemon (excuse the Portal pun). Thanks for all the tips guys, and I'm just happy my little bro can finally use his rig again.