First FX-6300 Rig and Miscellaneous Questions!

Mr_Grits

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hello there, I'm currently building my very first PC and I would love to have some assistance in the parts that go in it. I've done about 3 months of research before actually buying anything as well
(Lurking on tom's like mad)

So this is what I have so far

CPU:
AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard:
ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

GPU:
XFX R7-260X-CNF4 Core Edition

Now I'm not much of a min/max kinda guy, I never really was, so the best of the best isn't something I need at all. I mostly will use it for some gaming and school work, but a bit more towards the gaming side. OC'ing isn't something I think I'll need, but am willing to eventually learn how to do in the future.

I plan on playing these few games mainly:
League of Legends (With a bit of streaming/Recording)
Guild Wars 2
The Secret World

I may eventually grab a first person shooter such as BF4 or CoD: Ghosts (I'd actually enjoy either one, I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to game. I'm not kooky about the squeezing out as much graphics as I could.) I have no problem playing on Mid-High quality.

^^Oh and just so you know how much I don't care too much about what's the "best" and how I could max out every single thing possible, this is what I've been using for the past 4+ years, and has kept me pretty contempt

Compaq Presario CQ5110Y Desktop PC
with
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610

I've played the first 3 seasons of LoL on this
City of Heroes since about issue 14 or so
And a few other games here and there

I'll be playing on 1600x900 res also!

*Random questions about things and such
1. How safe are USB ports when they are located on the top of the case?
2. How important are mesh/filters with cases, and where are the most effective places to have em?
3. Semi vs Full Modular PSU, what would be better for my situation?
4. USB 3.0 Front Panel Ports, do i really need them? I mentioned what this rig would mainly be used for
5. Would a mATX board suffice for now until an upgrade to a ATX? Or would it be more cost efficient to go straight to the ATX (Same question for mirco case to mid case).

Appreciate the help in advance, thanks! (Sorry if this was really long T_T)

Solution
1. No idea, how safe are they on the side or front of the case?
2. Their not greatly important but good to have. Typically you want dust filters on every intake fan at least, though filters on every fan mount is ideal.
3. Full modular is always better, but semi is cheaper. Up to you to decide if the price difference is worth the convenience.
4. For now no, very few devices can actually use the extra bandwidth, but in the future maybe. Most cases have it anyway.
5. There is no performance difference between mATX and ATX, just size.
1. No idea, how safe are they on the side or front of the case?
2. Their not greatly important but good to have. Typically you want dust filters on every intake fan at least, though filters on every fan mount is ideal.
3. Full modular is always better, but semi is cheaper. Up to you to decide if the price difference is worth the convenience.
4. For now no, very few devices can actually use the extra bandwidth, but in the future maybe. Most cases have it anyway.
5. There is no performance difference between mATX and ATX, just size.

Solution

Mr_Grits

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Sweet, I'll for sure see what type of full modular PSU I could get my hands on
And I suppose there is no need for front USB 3.0 seeing that I'll have a back port for it just in case I'll need one

Thanks!