650 for physx and 280x for main

Solution
Thanks manofchalk, and everyone else for the replies.
iNSANE...How much time do you want to spend getting this hybrid to work? That is the question to be answered.
If you want to plug in an AMD card and an Nvidia card and have them work right away and cooperate with one another and the drivers to cooperate, then this won't work
If you don't mind spending a bunch of time getting everything to play together, Then I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out.
Jeremyp is right, if PhysX is that important, get a good Nvidia Card (760 would work) and run that.
I run Nvidia cards, I let the Nvidia drivers auto-pick which runs physx. If I didn't have physx, I don't know that I would know it or see a difference: I am usually too busy...
Radeon card do not support PhysX, and you can't run those two cards in crossfire nor SLI since they are not even the same manufacture. So the answer is, unfortunately, No it won't work.

For PhysX to work in the manner you want (one card for the graphic and game and another for only PhysX) you must run two Nvidia cards in SLI, and select one to do PhysX.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
Actually, Nostall is wrong on this one. Technically speaking, it could work(though there will be some driver issues and things of that nature), but in all reallity, you would be much better off just using a single card.

If phys x is that important to ya, sell the 280x on ebay(with the soaringt prices, you should be able to get close to 400 bucks for it), and get a gtx 770. The performance difference is negligible, and the 770 can be picked up for about 320 right now.

^ No, it couldnt.
You cant officially have an AMD primary card and use an Nvidia cards as a dedicated PhysX, Nvidia just plain dont allow it.

Though like most artificial limitations on things, someone has made a work-around. There are hacked Hybrid PhysX drivers floating around on the internet, though AFIK they haven't been updated in a few years so the chances of success are slim.

jeremyp79

Distinguished

It was the workaround I was referring to. And again, if Physx is important, the OP should go with an Nvidia based card. :)

Ceee9

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
the things is there are thousand of games modders out there that have enable physx on amd card, it just not "that" popular to get the push.

most of the time they mod the game file to make it work on amd card, with less performance hit than "vanilla" physx

and people that know this, even not that interested in the ability of physx can give, only some game out there that look really nice with it

Thanks manofchalk, and everyone else for the replies.
iNSANE...How much time do you want to spend getting this hybrid to work? That is the question to be answered.
If you want to plug in an AMD card and an Nvidia card and have them work right away and cooperate with one another and the drivers to cooperate, then this won't work
If you don't mind spending a bunch of time getting everything to play together, Then I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out.
Jeremyp is right, if PhysX is that important, get a good Nvidia Card (760 would work) and run that.
I run Nvidia cards, I let the Nvidia drivers auto-pick which runs physx. If I didn't have physx, I don't know that I would know it or see a difference: I am usually too busy staying alive and shooting in games to watch the explosions etc. Hell, I bought the first GeForce3 cards for anti-aliasing; now that that is pretty much up and running I rarely use it in an FPS for the same reason I just mentioned. Not in the game for sight seeing!

Solution