First Time build: slight burning smell and front panel USB 3.0 ports not working

So I finished putting together my build today and everything seemed to be working fine after installing the OS, save for the front two USB 3 ports not working. I had to plug in my keyboard and mouse directly to the mobo using USB 2 ports on the back. Everything seemed to be running smoothly but then I started to smell a sort of stench of burning plastic or rubber after 20 minutes or so. I've come to the conclusion that it's either the PSU wearing in or the CPU/thermal paste overheating due to the heatsink being able to slide ever so slightly as I was afraid of tightening too much. Any ideas as to what may be causing these issues? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70
Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cpu: AMD FX 8350
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 760
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x 4)
PSU: Corsair CX600M
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
Wireless PCI-E: ASUS PCE-N53 Dual-band N600
1 answer Last reply
More about time build slight burning smell front panel usb ports working
  1. check for bent pin in the usb ports on the front and check the usb cable and port on the mb. with a pc there should never be any burning smell. sounds like the usb for the front of the case was plugged in wrong and melted.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Burner USB3 USB Drive