FX-8350 Overclocking stability issues regarding Northbridge/ram

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Good afternoon folks, i've recently switched out my case with awful cable management and blown all that dust away.

As of now i'm using a fractal design define R4 with my h80i with several fans mounted everywhere in the case and i must say, the cooling is awesome :D.

To my point, i'm obviously going to take advantage of this cooling by overclocking my fx 8350. Regarding stability, i've heard that playing around with your northbridge and ram timings could help improve stability instead of touching the voltage to much.

Prime 95: fx 8350 - 4.4ghz 1.350 Vcore (Stock voltage)

Blend test fails within 5 minutes.
In-place large FFt's also fails within 5 minutes
But Small FFt's doesn't fail at all, i ran it for around 40 minutes and no games have crashed either.

So if i increase the voltage of my northbridge, can this help improve stability when it comes to blend tests that just eats your ram alive?

I'm looking for a really high overclock here. 5ghz+ with as low voltage as possible of course.

Any help folks? :D

Rig worth mentioning:
(CPU) FX-8350
(MB) GA-990FXA-UD3
(RAM) Corsiar vengeance 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
And when you are talking about the northbridge you mean the one intergrated into the CPU right? (CPU/NB vid voltage control)

I increased the voltage from 1.350 to 1.375 as i can not type in the numbers myself it seems :/

It's been stable for almost 20 minutes and i feel like i'm ready to increase the multiplier again.

Little1992John

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk

I can't help you with the ram timing's but just copy the stock and keep the ram speed's close to the original as possible.
If your only using 2 stick's of ram then you can push up to 1866MHz on that board, I've managed to get 2400MHz with the same CPU but with a overprice Asus crosshair v formla Z broad. ( I don't recommend )

Also I recommend not letting it go over 55c at full load and nothing over 40c idle.
I have a NZXT60x with 12 Noctua fan's, but I only have it running on 8 core's, no power saving's on at 4.6GHz but when I push 4.7-4.8Ghz it fly's up to the 60's c.
Max CPU temp 65c, and max CPU core temp 60c if you want to get the most out of it but with a decent life out of the chip.