Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC crashes after a while whilst playing games

Tags:
  • Games
  • Brother
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 26, 2013 5:56:07 PM

Hey all, first of I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, it will be moved I guess.

Anyway I am writing this on behalf of my brother (as I am the PC geek out them all(but still I don't know that much))

Let's start off. My parents buy my brother a pre-built gaming PC from a company called Compsol Computers on ebay. That probably sounds bad (and it probably is) but the pc arrived and all that. Worked fine but every time my brother played a game, after a while it crashed. The crash was a type where the screen froze with little green/blue lines going across the screen. After it was happening for a while I rang up the company and asked them how to fix it. They gave a few suggestions and said it was to do with the RAM, so they send new ones out and I replaced them. But it still kept crashing. When I went to ring them again I got no answer. They had shut down.

So after that, my parents bought him another one from the same company I got mine from (Vibox, also on ebay) as mine has not crashed at all whilst giving my dad his newish one. After receiving the new pc, my brother installed a few games, and the same crash happened again when he played for a bit. But he didn't say anything as he didn't want to make my parents feel bad. I automatically thought it was the power supply in his room so I tried it in my room and it still crashed. So now I don't have a clue what is causing it to crash. I have tried installing drivers for his GPU but it is still crashing. I really don't know why it's crashing. It would mean a lot if someone could help us here.

His specs are as follows:

Gigabyte F2A55M-DS2 motherboard
AMD Athlon 750K Quad-Core
XFX Radeon 7770 HD
Xigmatek 80+ Bronze 400W PSU
16GB DDR3 memory
1TB Seagate HDD
Windows 8
Right now after double checking the specs, it looks like the PSU is too weak for the system (but I am probably wrong here)

If anyone could help I would appreciate it so much. Please let me know if you need more information.

More about : crashes whilst playing games

December 26, 2013 6:02:47 PM

it might be the psu, but have u really sure that there were no problem with the game itself(software related)? everything is install correctly?
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 6:05:27 PM

Ceee9 said:
it might be the psu, but have u really sure that there were no problem with the game itself(software related)? everything is install correctly?

It is literally everygame he plays. Sometimes it crashes after 10 minutes sometimes after a couple of hours.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 26, 2013 6:23:07 PM

Could be overheating.
What kind of case and how many case fans does it have.
Just case fans. power supply ,cpu, video cards fan not included in this number.

Have you checked for game patches and updates?
Xigmatek power supply units are usually good 2nd tier units. 400 watts is plenty for your system.
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 6:50:19 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Could be overheating.
What kind of case and how many case fans does it have.
Just case fans. power supply ,cpu, video cards fan not included in this number.

Have you checked for game patches and updates?
Xigmatek power supply units are usually good 2nd tier units. 400 watts is plenty for your system.


This is the case.
And as for the fans, I believe there is only one, and it's not very good either, just the small one on the side of the case.


m
0
l
December 26, 2013 6:57:49 PM

for once, just try running the game with sidepanel open, if it still crash and ur pc is not that hot, it might be the other thing
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 7:01:37 PM

Ceee9 said:
for once, just try running the game with sidepanel open, if it still crash and ur pc is not that hot, it might be the other thing

I will try it, thank you. And as for the current updates and patches. I am pretty sure that is not the cause, as it crashes with every single game...
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 7:06:19 PM

and download coretemp(cpu) and msi afterburner(gpu) to monitor the temperature
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 7:51:46 PM

A 400 watt psu is inadequate, there is not enough power resources for the rig, I'd suggest about 600 watts or possibly as much as 750 watts as the XFX Radeon 7770 HD video card is rather a high end card that may use quite a bit of power. I doubt that a 400 watt psu would have the proper cabling and that the pc is using cable joiners and molex adapters to create the connectrs to which is not the proper way to do so. You may need to open the casing and take a photo snap of the innards for us to see, post it to tinypic and paste the url in a reply.
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 1:18:11 AM

400 watt for that build(90% of the time) is enuf, but the 10% probability might happen
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 5:30:52 AM

TenPc said:
A 400 watt psu is inadequate, there is not enough power resources for the rig, I'd suggest about 600 watts or possibly as much as 750 watts as the XFX Radeon 7770 HD video card is rather a high end card that may use quite a bit of power. I doubt that a 400 watt psu would have the proper cabling and that the pc is using cable joiners and molex adapters to create the connectrs to which is not the proper way to do so. You may need to open the casing and take a photo snap of the innards for us to see, post it to tinypic and paste the url in a reply.

To be honest with you, I don't think the graphics card is a 7770. There are no connectors on it. It says on the GPU itself XFX R7700 Series. Here are two pictures of inside the case. - -

I put my hand above the GPU and it was really hot aswell.
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 8:58:45 AM

i think it a 7750, since that card does not require a power connector, download gpu-z for confirmation
and have u check the temp with coretemp and msi afterburner?
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 9:40:50 AM

Ceee9 said:
i think it a 7750, since that card does not require a power connector, download gpu-z for confirmation
and have u check the temp with coretemp and msi afterburner?

It will have to be done later as my brother is out and his computer requires a password. When I have checked I will post results.

m
0
l
January 1, 2014 9:56:27 PM

When the graphics card does not require a power cable, it relies on the power directly through the motherboard so as you do not have the 8-pin connector to the power connector connected (only a single 4-pin connector), there is not enough power resources to provide for the video card. Consider at least a 650 watt PSU ith an 8 pin (or 2 x 4 pin) motherboard connecctor as well as a 24 pin connector.

The 24 pin connector has the 4 pin connector in yellow and I've never seen this in any PSU so you might have the wrong connector cable connected.
m
0
l
!