my GT 220 running too hot

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
i have a ASUS GT220 DDR3, which running very hot at idle 50C, when i playing crysis 2 in 10 minutes its jump to 103C

i have do cleaning the heatsink, clean residual thermai paste and apply new one.

but still, when Crysis 2 running for 10 mins its hit 104 C....

any advice guys?

Solution

So in the original question you said that you reapplied thermal paste. In this process you may have put to much on the processor on the graphics card, if you did, this will cause bad heat conduction. The purpose of thermal compound is to create a thermal barrier between the processor and the heatsink, it is better with heat conduction so it takes the heat away from the processor, if you have to much, it will act more as a barrier, not allowing the heat to dissipate properly.

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Then it's probably the application of thermal paste. You may be smothering the GPU not allowing the heatsink to give proper cooling to the GPU. Or you may have not put enough on.

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

So in the original question you said that you reapplied thermal paste. In this process you may have put to much on the processor on the graphics card, if you did, this will cause bad heat conduction. The purpose of thermal compound is to create a thermal barrier between the processor and the heatsink, it is better with heat conduction so it takes the heat away from the processor, if you have to much, it will act more as a barrier, not allowing the heat to dissipate properly.

Solution

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

You may want to see if you can buy another heatisnk for it, if you have a closed loop water cooler laying around you could get the kraken G10, I would just suggest getting a new graphics card though, it's not really worth spending anymore money on this card.