Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Hard Disk sata 2,3?? WTF?

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
Share
December 27, 2013 5:22:50 AM

So, I talked with my friend yesterday about buying a new motherboard and CPU , he said that Hard Disks have specified SATA-s , that means I can't connect a SATA 3 cable on a SATA 2 Hard Disk , and I said WTF??? I'm not sure if it's true but I wan't to make sure.

More about : hard disk sata wtf

December 27, 2013 5:25:01 AM

All SATA cables are the same.
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 5:27:45 AM

Basically yes, loads of research on the internet confirming this. All SATA cables perform at the same speed but SATA connectors do not. SATA 3 is faster 6gbps but unless you are using an SSD it will make no difference. Even with an SSD the difference will be difficult to notice day-to-day. Also SATA is backwards compatible so a SATA 3 drive will work on any SATA port.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 27, 2013 5:34:43 AM

And7rey said:
So, I talked with my friend yesterday about buying a new motherboard and CPU , he said that Hard Disks have specified SATA-s , that means I can't connect a SATA 3 cable on a SATA 2 Hard Disk , and I said WTF??? I'm not sure if it's true but I wan't to make sure.


Agreed with the comments above. To just clarify a bit:

There is no such thing as a "SATA 3 cable". All SATA cables are identical.

There are SATA 1, SATA 2 and SATA 3 ports available on motherboards. 3 is twice as fast as 2, which in turn is twice as fast as 1. It is all backwards and forwards compatible, all SATA harddrives will work in all SATA ports regardless of speed/specification.

Example: If you plug in an SSD capable of pushing, say, 500mbps, into a SATA 2 port, the SATA 2 port is only capable of 300mbps so your SSD would simply slow down to 300mbps.

No harddrive can come remotely close to SATA 2 speeds, never mind SATA 3, SATA 2 will only be limiting with a high end SSD.
m
0
l
December 27, 2013 6:45:51 AM

gopher1369 said:
And7rey said:
So, I talked with my friend yesterday about buying a new motherboard and CPU , he said that Hard Disks have specified SATA-s , that means I can't connect a SATA 3 cable on a SATA 2 Hard Disk , and I said WTF??? I'm not sure if it's true but I wan't to make sure.


Agreed with the comments above. To just clarify a bit:

There is no such thing as a "SATA 3 cable". All SATA cables are identical.

There are SATA 1, SATA 2 and SATA 3 ports available on motherboards. 3 is twice as fast as 2, which in turn is twice as fast as 1. It is all backwards and forwards compatible, all SATA harddrives will work in all SATA ports regardless of speed/specification.

Example: If you plug in an SSD capable of pushing, say, 500mbps, into a SATA 2 port, the SATA 2 port is only capable of 300mbps so your SSD would simply slow down to 300mbps.

No harddrive can come remotely close to SATA 2 speeds, never mind SATA 3, SATA 2 will only be limiting with a high end SSD.


Is it same with HDD , couse I have a HDD and not SSD
m
0
l

Best solution

December 27, 2013 6:47:35 AM

Yes And7rey, if you have a HDD then don't worry about it at all. You will not have any compatability problems or speed issues.
Share
a b G Storage
December 27, 2013 6:49:36 AM

And7rey said:

Is it same with HDD , couse I have a HDD and not SSD


As far as SATA is concerned, a HDD and an SSD are identical. The cable/port/connection is identical on a HDD and an SSD.

m
0
l
!