Will a i5 750 CPU bottleneck a Geforce 760 GPU?

Thoryan94

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi I'm new to the forum so pardon me if I posted in the category or am ignorant to any forum rules, but I've been thinking of upgrading my graphics card. I know that bottlenecking can be a significant performance loss sometimes and graphics cards can be quite expensive so since this area is a little bit out of my expertise and since I've heard such great things about the forums and people on Tom's Hardware I thought that I would start asking here. And finally after my bad introduction I will finally post my question.

Would my Intel core i5 750 processor bottleneck a new geforce 760?

Here are my exact system specs.

CPU: Intel core i5 750
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 clocked at 1333mhz
MB: ASUS P7P55D PRO (Not a part of the newer E series in the P55 line up)
STORAGE: Plain old regular Seagate 1TB HDDs.
CURRENT GPU(if it matters): BFG Nvidia Geforce GTS 250OC.

Anyways I don't think my processor is old enough to really bottleneck the new mid range GPUs yet, but if you guys think I would lose more than 10% of the performance of the 760 with overclocking then I would like to know before I decide to make this purchase. If it's a major loss then I might just save my money until I can afford a whole new rig. Thanks and I would appreciate it if you answered this questions guys.

Solution
Your are ok with the PSU.

And I agree with Valentin_N about overclocking it. Nowadays almost any CPU bellow 3GHz clock speed is not recommended for intensive gaming.

Foldalot

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Post the PSU too.

I think that GTX 760 will be bottlenecked in CPU demanding games. However, my advice would be to take the GPU now, and invest in new MB+CPU later. You still should see a big improvement from 250 to 760 even with that CPU.

Thoryan94

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Oh sorry. I can't remember the brand, but it's a 80 Plus bronze 850W power supply. It was a little bit overkill considering the rest of my system specs, but I did not want to cheap out on a PSU. I've heard some of the horror stories of cheap power supplies, and my friend didn't take my advice on them so it cost him. His computer didn't quite burst into flames and burn his house down like some of the horror stories, but it did enough damage to destroy the components inside and render his computer pretty useless after that. Anyways sorry for going off topic and thanks for the advice!

Valentin_N

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Which is the best answer? my answer or the one comforming my answer (selected best answer)?