Solved

Nvidia Geforce GTX660 upgrade questions

I currently have these specs

Intel Core i7 3.5ghz
2x 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Coolermaster 500W PSU RS-500-PCAP-I3
Standard Cooling (Front and back fan)
22x DVD DRIVE
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 630 GPU

My question is if i upgrade my GPU to the GTX 660 (Probably the EVGA or ASUS version) will in need to upgrade anything else (PSU, Cooling etc)? If you need more info just ask!

Thank You
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about nvidia geforce gtx660 upgrade questions
  1. what brand/model 500w PSU do you have?
  2. For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    An exception is the MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB. It requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Please provide the brand and model number of the PSU and graphics card if you want a more accurate answer.
  3. You need a 6 pin PCI-E power connector on your power supply.
    Assuming a CPU up to 95W (LGA 1156, 1155 or 1150):
    The power supply needs to be rated at 360W or 30A on the combined +12V rails.

    With a CPU up to 130W (LGA 1366 or 2011):
    The power supply needs to be rated at 408W or 34A on the combined +12V rails.
  4. Z1NONLY said:
    what brand/model 500w PSU do you have?


    I have updated the post with full info
  5. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    An exception is the MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB. It requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Please provide the brand and model number of the PSU and graphics card if you want a more accurate answer.


    I have updated the post with full info
  6. Best answer
    eob2000 said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    An exception is the MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB. It requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Please provide the brand and model number of the PSU and graphics card if you want a more accurate answer.


    I have updated the post with full info



    Cooler Master Elite Power 500W (RS-500-PCAP-I3)
    • OEM: Solytech
    • maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps
    • one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector

    In theory it should be capable of powering a system with a single GeForce GTX 660 card.
  7. ko888 said:
    eob2000 said:
    ko888 said:
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    An exception is the MSI GeForce GTX 660 HAWK 2 GB. It requires two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Please provide the brand and model number of the PSU and graphics card if you want a more accurate answer.


    I have updated the post with full info



    Cooler Master Elite Power 500W (RS-500-PCAP-I3)
    • OEM: Solytech
    • maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps
    • one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector

    In theory it should be capable of powering a system with a single GeForce GTX 660 card.


    Thank you :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Geforce Components Nvidia