Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrade Path: Next Gen

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 27, 2013 8:53:16 PM

So at the moment my system consists of the following.

  • GFX: Gigabyte 7870 OC
  • Cpu: AMD A-8 Apu
  • Other components are mediocre and I know need to be replaced when possible.

  • So my question for you guys is what would be a good upgrade path if any? I've been looking at an i5 and a new motherboard, but i'm hesitant because I don't know if the i5 is going to be relevant with next gen. Another possibility is to go AMD (moar cores), and another motherboard. I also don't know what CPU's are going to stand up to next-gen in AMD's lineup. This might help a bit on price but I don't know if AMD stands on the same tier of quality as the Intel CPU's.
  • More about : upgrade path gen

    a c 171 À AMD
    December 27, 2013 9:11:02 PM

    get the i5..
    the fact is, intel i5 based system is better than any amd available today..

    i5 4670k + msi z87 g45 is a sweet combo for intel based system..
    m
    0
    l
    December 27, 2013 9:11:06 PM

    I dont understand what you mean by 'next gen'?
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    December 27, 2013 9:13:19 PM

    chrisso said:
    I don't understand what you mean by 'next gen'?


    I guess its the current gen now but basically games coming out after the release of the newest major consoles.
    m
    0
    l
    December 27, 2013 9:13:59 PM

    Are you refering to the miserably hamstrung at 1.6 gig per core amd chips in consoles?
    Because if that is the case even a sandy bridge 2300 quad and a 650 ti will widdle all over
    either of those machines, ddr 5 memory or not?
    m
    0
    l
    December 27, 2013 9:15:17 PM

    Quaddro said:
    get the i5..
    the fact is, intel i5 based system is better than any amd available today..

    i5 4670k + msi z87 g45 is a sweet combo for intel based system..


    Mmk. But is a cheaper motherboard going to hurt anything? I never really understood the impact of a good motherboard on the system.
    m
    0
    l
    December 27, 2013 9:16:21 PM

    chrisso said:
    Are you refering to the miserably hamstrung at 1.6 gig per core amd chips in consoles?
    Because if that is the case even a sandy bridge 2300 quad and a 650 ti will widdle all over
    either of those machines, ddr 5 memory or not?

    No i'm just referring to the games specifically.
    m
    0
    l
    December 27, 2013 9:22:04 PM

    I think it might be a good idea to buy a cheap i5
    Any recent i5.
    m
    0
    l

    Best solution

    a c 171 À AMD
    December 27, 2013 9:22:36 PM

    Dread458 said:

    Mmk. But is a cheaper motherboard going to hurt anything? I never really understood the impact of a good motherboard on the system.


    overclockabililty and durability..well, with "K" processor version, overclocking is "a must"..:D 
    cheaper board usually only have a small headroom for overclocking, and if you push to overclock on a cheap board, then you sacrifice the durability for your both processor and motherboard, due to low component quality..

    Share
    December 27, 2013 9:44:37 PM

    Every recent i5 quad scores over 5000 cpu marks, even some old nehalems.
    This puts them minimum 20% in front of ps4 and xbox one consoles. .
    'Next gen' games will be even less of a strain on pc's than the last generation console games were.
    Nothing has changed. Any games that push pc's and are ported to consoles will need to be neutered.
    Next Gen games is a phrase that will mean nothing to pc users in very short order. (imho).
    m
    0
    l
    !