R9 290 Black Screen/Crash With Low FPS After

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Okay so I'm having this really weird issue on a stock powercolor 290 I just bought. I have a fresh windows 7 install, updated drivers, plug the card in and get in game. Then randomly my game will black screen and crash or even sometimes it looks like it just looses signal and the hdmi icon pops up on my monitor when it comes back on and when I go back in, my fps is really low like in the 20s while in some cases I was getting like 90 fps before the crash.

How can I fix this?

Solution

Goes back to my original post. Its a heat issue. Your GPU core may be cool but you also have to watch VRM temps as they can't get really hot fast.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I don't have it overclocked or anything, I just set the maximum fan speed to allow 100% if needed.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

It just goes black and then the HDMI Icon Pops up like when you first open a fullscreen game. I already tried using DVI but get the same issue. What should I look for to get "input firmware"?

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
To be specific, the screen goes black but you can see that the backlight of the monitor is still on, it stays there for about 5 seconds then goes completely black (no backlight) for a second then comes back on with the game at low fps. And if I exit and restart the game I still have really low fps.

Any ideas? I have 13.12 drivers.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

They haven't been insanely high, the other day I'd hit 94 C and not crash, but tonight right when I start a game it can happen before it even gets a chance to heat up.

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

What is your GPU fan at

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I've seen it go into the 50%s while playing stuff like Battlefield 4 fully maxed. I just reinstalled the drivers and it's capped at 47% now. Still black screens.

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Uninstall the drivers and use Display Driver uninstall (Google it) to clean all previous drivers off and then reinstall AMD CCC 13.12

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Okay and for the record I've gotten stuck at a black screen both times that I've express uninstalled all amd software tonight.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Didn't work.

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Goes back to my original post. Its a heat issue. Your GPU core may be cool but you also have to watch VRM temps as they can't get really hot fast.

Solution

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Okay this isn't working anymore, forcing the fan to run at 60% makes the GPU run at about 65 C but then it still crashes after a few minutes.

salefission

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Your problem is just one of many variations of "r9 290 black screen" issue. Type it in google and you will see...there is no solution at this moment but it seams like driver problem. Wait for new drivers...like I do :-((

SpoCk0nd0pe

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I got the same issues. For me it's a little game dependent, when flying around fully modded Skyrim with ENB and speedmult 1500 it takes 2 minutes, when playing Orcs must Die! 2 it's over an hour. How long to you have to be into the game/how much do you have to stress it for the blackscreen to happen?

mrtoast72

Honorable
May 3, 2014
so i figured out the best way to fix this and theres a couple of things that you should do if you get this problem with the r9 290s. 1 do not rma your card theres no point your going to get the same card with the same problem until amd gets there act together. 2 make sure that your card is getting enuff power. do not use a cord that has a 6 and a 8 pin in the same line thats not enough power. 3 this is the main problem. your vram threshold is 85C but your card can get up to 95C so you black screen. one way to fix this problem is down clock your Vram and yes i know it sucks but it works. i have mine clocked at 1000hz or what ever and normally its like 1250 or so. that's a big difference but it really helps. 4 and last speed your fan up. the max right now it will go with the latest drivers is 45% i believe but i have mine set to 65% all the time and my card sits at 55 all the time now. doing all of these things i do not black screen! i just recorded me playing call of duty ghosts on ultra at 60fps constant so even with that down clock there's no lag so don't worry over it. until amd fixes this or tells everyone who bought this card that they screwed up nothing is going to change. hope this helps!

sean_253

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
I have been building computers for studios, pilot simulators (for students), Intel engineers, etc. for 6+ years, and I haven't been able to solve the issue here, using normal means. Last night, I did the newest BETA drivers, and it worked beautifully for a while, THEN Windows 7 failed to load and restored to a previous setting. I also noticed, through OpenHardwareMonitor that the card randomly goes from 0% usage to 90-100% usage, when the screen is just sitting on Windows (no reason, just does).

I'm going to try the last solution posted, but I can't figure it out.