Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What is the correct Noctua nh-d14 orientation and what type of thermal compound application should I use?

Last response: in Components
Share
December 28, 2013 1:19:20 AM

This is my first time building a pc and I had a few questions about the cpu cooling and thermal paste. I am getting the noctua nh d14 and I wanted to what is the optimal orientation for it. I would assume it's with the exhaust coming out the back, but I wanted conformation. Also with the thermal paste which style of application should I use, the pea, line, or just spreading it out? I would either be using artic silver 5 or the noctua nth1 paste, is one better than the other? Thanks for your help.

My build:
- Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 FD-CA-ARC-R2-BL-W Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

- Video card: EVGA SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2774-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

- Power supply: CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

- CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

- Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

- Storage : Samsung 840 evo 250g

- Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

- Optical drive: ASUS DVD-Writer Black SATA Model DRW-24F1ST - OEM

- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

- Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Best solution

December 28, 2013 1:28:11 AM

The fans from the cooler should blow towards a case exhaust fan or grill where the air can exit the case.
The thermal paste provided with the cooler is very good.
The most important thing with the paste is to apply the right amount (not too much, not too little).

Tom's hardware article on applying thermal paste:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...
Share
Related resources
December 28, 2013 11:42:50 AM

sosofm said:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/03/cpu-c...
You can use the thermal compound who came with the cooler.
Look an explanation between the diferences how you want to put the thermal compound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIdecOvSSM


I was looking at the online installation manual for the noctua nh-d14 I had a question. The LGA socket 1150 is similar to the LGA socket 1156 so when installing the backplate I would use the same screw holes right? I also don't need the rubber inlay correct?
m
0
l
December 28, 2013 3:33:32 PM

Philosophia said:
sosofm said:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/03/cpu-c...
You can use the thermal compound who came with the cooler.
Look an explanation between the diferences how you want to put the thermal compound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIdecOvSSM


I was looking at the online installation manual for the noctua nh-d14 I had a question. The LGA socket 1150 is similar to the LGA socket 1156 so when installing the backplate I would use the same screw holes right? I also don't need the rubber inlay correct?

You use the same screw holes for socket 1156/1155/1150 (the middle hole of the available three, labelled B).
The rubber inlay is not required for Intel CPUs (AMD socket 775 only).

m
0
l
December 29, 2013 11:45:22 AM

VincentP said:
Philosophia said:
sosofm said:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/03/cpu-c...
You can use the thermal compound who came with the cooler.
Look an explanation between the diferences how you want to put the thermal compound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIdecOvSSM


I was looking at the online installation manual for the noctua nh-d14 I had a question. The LGA socket 1150 is similar to the LGA socket 1156 so when installing the backplate I would use the same screw holes right? I also don't need the rubber inlay correct?

You use the same screw holes for socket 1156/1155/1150 (the middle hole of the available three, labelled B).
The rubber inlay is not required for Intel CPUs (AMD socket 775 only).



Okay so I know the backplate needs to be installed before I put the motherboard in the case should I mount the fan as well before placing it in the case?
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:04:06 AM

Philosophia said:
VincentP said:
Philosophia said:
sosofm said:
http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2013/03/cpu-c...
You can use the thermal compound who came with the cooler.
Look an explanation between the diferences how you want to put the thermal compound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIdecOvSSM


I was looking at the online installation manual for the noctua nh-d14 I had a question. The LGA socket 1150 is similar to the LGA socket 1156 so when installing the backplate I would use the same screw holes right? I also don't need the rubber inlay correct?

You use the same screw holes for socket 1156/1155/1150 (the middle hole of the available three, labelled B).
The rubber inlay is not required for Intel CPUs (AMD socket 775 only).



Okay so I know the backplate needs to be installed before I put the motherboard in the case should I mount the fan as well before placing it in the case?


It is usually easiest to install RAM, CPU, cooler and fan before mounting the motherboard in the case.
m
0
l
!